Strings for a 4005, Chrome Flats a question,

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

jal
Veteran RRF member

Strings for a 4005, Chrome Flats a question,

Post by jal »

Hi all, my ’65 4005 really needs a string change for years it’s been wearing a set of light GHS pressure wounds because the E String groove on the “R” tailpiece is very narrow & way back when they were about all I could find that fit, so I am ready to try some D’Addario Chrome Flats, I’m planning on using the set with the 95 E but I picked up a set with a 100 E just to see if it would fit the R tailpiece & it did, however unlike the EXL-170s all my old Thunderbirds wear I see the Chromes have felt on them & it about rests on the nut, I know other here use Chrome Flats is this they way they are & was always the case?
Cheers,
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Strings for a 4005, Chrome Flats a question,

Post by jps »

The silk can be trimmed a bit if needed. Here are Chromes (40-95) on my old '67 4005WB for some comparison for you.
4005WB Headstock_800_03.jpg
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

Is 4005 shorter scale?
I use 40-60-80-100 chromes on my 4003 and silk is about an inch away from nut like your d and g strings there.
I’d say cut it back and if string diameter same across the nut slots as speaking length area is then use it.
Worst that coukd happen is string prematurely breaks.
More importantly make sure string seats properly on bottom of nut slot. If slot not wide enough and string sits on slot tops it could break the nut. Happened to me when I was a newbie.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

lumgimfong wrote:Is 4005 shorter scale?
No, it's the same 33 1/4" as most any other Rick bass.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

To get a tone more similar to the Maxima's that came on the bass originally, Try the Optimas. For a lower tension that will hold tone and not go completely thud once the new string zing wears off Chromes, try LaBella Low Tension Flats.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”