A bit rough around (some) edges...is this normal?

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

KenOnBass

A bit rough around (some) edges...is this normal?

Post by KenOnBass »

Hi, I took delivery of my new Jetglo 4003s a couple weeks ago and love the tone and weight. It plays better than any Rickenbacker bass I've owned. One thing that is disappointing, however, is that there is a considerable amount of "orange peel" finish roughness around some edges of the body. Not what I'd expect or ever experienced with the 8 other Rics I've owned over the years. Maybe I've been lucky. It appears that the someone forgot to sand/buff some edges on the bass. It affects about 1/3rd of the bass's edges including the headstock.

I'm not trying to stir the pot, but the response from Ric Support has been unsympathetic and am wondering what to do at this point.

Reply #1 after initial email
Thank you for contacting us in regards to this. What you are showing in the pictures is completely standard and is not a finish defect. This is a result of the instruments grain showing through as the finish shrinks to the instrument. Rickenbacker instruments are not grain filled and as the finish shrinks to the body over time it is not uncommon to see the grain, especially on the sides of the instrument as you have pictured. I hope this helps and please let me know if there is anything else that I can assist you with.

Reply #2 one day later after I sent more pictures:
The images that you have provided do not show anything that we would consider a defect. I would be more than happy to assist you with an RA for the instrument so we can inspect it in person to make sure that there is nothing that would not be meeting the factory standards. If upon inspection we find no defects in the instrument than it will be sent back to you as it was received, you would be responsible for the shipping cost to the factory. If you would like to proceed then please let me know.

My response to the above was

Hi,
I'm not inclined to ship it back if you unless i'm sure you will honor my claim. Just to be clear for the record so that I understanding clearly:
1. You are saying that the bumps/roughness on the edges are not considered finish defects? (Most of the bass's edges are smooth, but the rough finish on some edges is "normal"? Is that right?)
2. What would constitute a finish defect?

Please advise.

A response is pending. I'm not trying to escalate...I just want clarity.

I love the bass and got it for an excellent price so I won't be returning it. I don't even mind the finish issue too much, but given my history with Rics I need to think about resale. I'm inclined to just drop it but leaves a bitter taste. What would you do?
Around plate close_2.jpg
Attachments
Headstock.JPG
BodyEdge.JPG
NearJack.JPG
gregson62

Re: A bit rough around (some) edges...is this normal?

Post by gregson62 »

I have a '98 4003 with no finish issues. I had an '04 4003 and an '06 4004. I owned them both for more than 2 years and no finish issues whatsoever. I had a '15 4003 and now have two '18 4003s and these newer basses all had some 'rough edges'--but not anywhere near what you are seeing. I pointed out the rough edges to the person buying the '15 4003 and they didn't care because the bass played beautifully. The buyer thought I was being overly picky and I got my money.

On the other hand, if you have one of the recent special finishes, then that in my opinion is an entirely different discussion and resale could eventually be affected. As long as the finishes don't degrade further, I've chosen not to care. But, I paid good money for the instrument and have expectations for finish quality that far less expensive instruments deliver upon routinely. Ultimately, you need to be happy with the purchase and if the finish quality aggravates you, then demand satisfaction immediately because I believe the finish warranty lasts only one year. Have them take care of any neck/fret issues while they're at it. :D
ram

Post by ram »

Personally if you like it that much I wouldn't worry about it too much. This coming from a person who doesn't get rid of basses. I've seen worse but have not had any of them. Can you try anything on the finish like Swirl and Haze remover/polish? Might take the edge off or get rid of the nasty parts???
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
KenOnBass

Post by KenOnBass »

I just have an off-the-shelf Jetglo 4003s. Perhaps I am being too picky and I can definitely live with it.

Funny and frustrating though...even though I am asking Rickenbacker very specific questions, they keep coming back with this canned response even after I asked "Hi again, so are you saying that finish roughness around some edges of a new bass from Rickenbacker is to be expected and not a defect?
Please let me know."

Their response was:

Hi Ken,

The pictures you have provided do not show anything that we would consider a defect, from what we are seeing this is the grain of the maple body showing on the edges of the instrument. I would be more than happy to assist you with an RA for inspection of the instrument but if upon inspection we find nothing wrong with the instrument it will be returned to you as is. Please let me know if there is anything else that I can assist you with.

Take care,

Their response is laughable to me. Yes, I'm seeing grain...I'm seeing it push through the surface of the finish a little. :roll: :oops:
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Have you discussed it with the dealer?
KenOnBass

Post by KenOnBass »

jdogric12 wrote:Have you discussed it with the dealer?
Yes, I brought it to the attention of the dealer and he refunded a portion of the price. He said I'd have better luck addressing with Ric than they would. Not sure what that meant. Regardless, I was happy to get some money back to offset the cost of shipping in the event I shipped it to Rickenbacker for warranty work.
KenOnBass

Post by KenOnBass »

Finally got a straight answer:

A finish that is not completely smooth around the edges of the instrument would not be considered a factory defect.

Take care,

That about settles it for me.
ram

Post by ram »

so what you gonna do?
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
KenOnBass

Post by KenOnBass »

I’ve decided to let it pass and focus on enjoying the bass. The finish is not flawless but I can overlook it. Not worth it to me to fight Rickenbacker about this.
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

I guess they say no defect because they purposely don’t fill in their wood holes like they stated. Which, I guess is fine and they can run their business and build their basses however they want.
But I bet they could lose sales from potential customers who see that and might think it is finish flaws because they didnt know ric dont plug their holes before painting.
Some people might think that is rediculous on such an expensive instrument and wonder why that got past QC, when it is actually normal and just a hallmark of the way Rics are built.

I am a cyclist and rode Brooks saddles for years but it was always hard to find one that did’nt have a crooked nose, or a crooked bolt, or an off-center rivet, or slight curvature. I finally asked Brooks and they said those irregularities are part and parcel of the handmade-ness of their saddles and are cosmetic irregularities only and do not affectvthe function in any way. After knowing that, my mind was at ease and they have always been the best saddles I ever rode, along with me Selle Anatomicas.

So knowing these are not defects would put my mind at ease. I would just enjoy that unique bass and then from now on only buy the Ric basses with binding like the 4003 if you woukd rather avoid that finish texture in the future. But this one may turn out to be the best bass you ever had.

Hey, if you ever get famous then customers will be paying an arm and a leg for one just like yours!!!!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

lumgimfong wrote:I am a cyclist and rode Brooks saddles for years but it was always hard to find one that did’nt have a crooked nose, or a crooked bolt, or an off-center rivet, or slight curvature...
Now I hae to go have a good hrd look at my Brooks saddle! Mine's from 1979.
KenOnBass

Post by KenOnBass »

Excellent advice. Thank you.
teeder

Post by teeder »

from what we are seeing this is the grain of the maple body showing on the edges of the instrument.
BS. Maple is a closed grain hardwood. There are no pores to fill or seal.

It's a finish defect, plain and simple.
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

You could post your concerns here and see if John Hall chimes in about this issue. Sometimes he will.

http://www.rickenbacker.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5

One way to settle it is use acetone to wipe off the finish and see what the wood underneath looks like -smooth or pitted.
xsubs

Post by xsubs »

teeder wrote:
BS. Maple is a closed grain hardwood. There are no pores to fill or seal.

It's a finish defect, plain and simple.
+1
I've owned dozens of Ric basses, and played 100s... this is not the standard for Ric.
Rickenbacker '64 & '68 4001 basses ♦ Fender Pre-CBS J & P Basses and 1968 Telecaster Bass ♦ Moog Taurus III Bass Pedals ♦ Hiwatt (Hylight) Amplification
"A good bassist determines the direction of any band."- Ron Carter

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”