Screw top treble pickup...

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

henry5
Advanced Member

Screw top treble pickup...

Post by henry5 »

Hi,

Anyone have any idea when this pickup is from, assuming it's even a Ric one (ignore the baseplate)? The bass is a 1970, supposedly...all mine from this period have a slot-headed screw, not a phillips.
IMG-2366 2.JPG
henry5
Advanced Member

Re: Screw top treble pickup...

Post by henry5 »

Also, this toaster; what's with the stamp? Reissue? Non-Roc? Looks nothing like mine.
IMG-2363 2.JPG
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

Black one looks like a Fender Pbass single coil.
Loks like someone routed for a Fender split coil and had one in there at one time,too.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

lumgimfong wrote:Black one looks like a Fender Pbass single coil.
Uh, no, that is a real Rick pickup in there. I'm not sure of the exact era, though. Late '60s-early'70s, I believe.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

The bridge pickup looks really, um, (to be polite) "modified." I do not know of any Rick pickup, ancient or modern, that has Philips head screws for polepieces. Check the DC resistance of the pickup. If @8kohms, then probably 70's-80's, assuming it has not been rewound. The neck toaster looks stock to me. I am not familiar with the number stamping, but surely someone will know if that is an index number for something. Yes, this bass had a P-bass pickup rout done at some point.
henry5
Advanced Member

Post by henry5 »

It's actually got a P Bass route under the scratch plate too, so 2 P Bass routes. I'm not buying; I was looking at it but it's far too expensive for what it is. Replacement raised trc, The P bass routes, poss replacement pick guard (not sure from photos), missing treble pickup surround, "interesting" pickups (FWIW the underside of the toaster doesn't look like mine from 72). Oh, missing ferrules on the grovers, not connected with my recent search for some. Price? £4995 UK. Ridiculous. I emailed the shop pointing out all the things wrong with it but as expected, I didn't receive a response.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”