4003W table not flat (at a unconvenient spot)

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

pinup57

Re: 4003W table not flat (at a unconvenient spot)

Post by pinup57 »

Hi everyone,

I come back on the subject because I'm still a bit worried that I might have lost a huge lot of value. So here's a simple question: how can I positively identify my instrument as being genuine? I least I would like to be sure I'm not the proud owner of a Chinese rip-off. I still can't believe how I didn't see this flaw when I was trying out and examining the instrument....

Thanks
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

It’s real.
pinup57

Post by pinup57 »

sloop_john_b wrote:It’s real.
Thanks. At least that is alright then.
wim
Intermediate Member

Post by wim »

pinup57 wrote:Hi everyone,

I come back on the subject because I'm still a bit worried that I might have lost a huge lot of value. So here's a simple question: how can I positively identify my instrument as being genuine? I least I would like to be sure I'm not the proud owner of a Chinese rip-off. I still can't believe how I didn't see this flaw when I was trying out and examining the instrument....

Thanks
Don't focus on it.
I've got a spot like that on the back of my Carl Wilson model.
Came like that from the factory
Doesn't bother me at all. It's beautiful and the sound is marvellous
If your bass sounds good to you and you like how or plays don't worry about resale value either, just enjoy it.
I do think this shouldn't have passed quality control though.
pinup57

Post by pinup57 »

wim wrote:
Don't focus on it.
I've got a spot like that on the back of my Carl Wilson model.
Came like that from the factory
Doesn't bother me at all. It's beautiful and the sound is marvellous
If your bass sounds good to you and you like how or plays don't worry about resale value either, just enjoy it.
I do think this shouldn't have passed quality control though.
Yes, I agree with you although, well, it's very much in sight, you can't miss it once you're aware of it. I don't understand how I did. But the bass sounds really great and is a joy to play, which is probably just why I didn't see this flaw when I was trying it out at the sellers house. I was too busy playing and enjoying the instrument. So well. It has passed the factory QC, it has passed the importer's QC, it has passed the retailer's QC, the original owner never noticed... that's a lot.

But you're right, I do enjoy the instrument and I never bought it with resale in mind anyway. Thanks for the support!
Gilmourisgod

Post by Gilmourisgod »

That's pretty clearly a little over-zealous belt sander action. Some of the basses with "tail lift" were actually more like "body drop", where the sander took off a "ramp" heading down towards the bridge end, so it happens.
ram

Post by ram »

if it bugs you, sell it and be done with it. If you like the way it feels and sounds, forget about the issue and enjoy. It's like your mate, fits you pretty damned well in every way, except maybe one eye is a little bigger than the other.... really something to worry about???
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
wim
Intermediate Member

Post by wim »

If it really really really really would bother, you can consider the option of building a jig and sanding it completely flat.
Don't worry about refinishing, it's not hard to apply an oil finish.
It would be a lot of sanding work, be careful too not to hit the side of the neck.
What it would mean structurally? Not much I guess. My 4001 has been refinished at least 2 times, still acts like any 4001 of that era.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”