Introducing the Al Cisneros Signature 4003S

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Dirk

Re: Introducing the Al Cisneros Signature 4003S

Post by Dirk »

I have no relation to this offering, but you can pick one up on Talkbass.
https://www.talkbass.com/threads/ricken ... d.1444679/
Dirk
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

cassius987 wrote:I own one that I bought from Wildwood a while back at a really nice price. I adore it. It has gotten many "that's your coolest bass" comments from various musical collaborators and whenever I don't bring it to a gig, its absence is often bemoaned. That tells me something.

I love that it sounds a lot like a punchier Jazz Bass, emphasizing some of the strong points of Ric 4001/3 tone but ending up a decidedly different creature (much like how I remember Scott Pope's 4002 or Dane Wilder's 4004L mod with similar pickup spacing, but the tone here is a bit different thanks to the Hi-Gains). In some ways, the neck pickup reminds me a lot of my Mustang bass, but cleaner/clearer sounding.

I love the new bridge design and was surprised to find I can palm mute with it no problem.

Aesthetically, I was put off by the green inlays but learned to love them. I bought this bass to play, not admire.

The dual pickup covers will surely go away at some point during my ownership, but haven't yet. They are surprisingly not in the way with so much open real estate by the neck.

Finally, it's very light (feels like 8 lbs) and has a terrific neck, among the best I have encountered on any Ric.

I have zero regrets buying this. It's the Ric I have waited a long time for in many respects.

ilan wrote:This guy can't really play bass. Sorry but someone has to say it.
:roll:
Rhys, thanks for this review. I found the green inlays :mrgreen: to be a bit different at first they are growing one me. It is nice to see something new from RIC. Glad this model is lighter than it looks too.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
bassmekanik

Post by bassmekanik »

cassius987 wrote:I own one that I bought from Wildwood a while back at a really nice price. I adore it. It has gotten many "that's your coolest bass" comments from various musical collaborators and whenever I don't bring it to a gig, its absence is often bemoaned. That tells me something.

I love that it sounds a lot like a punchier Jazz Bass, emphasizing some of the strong points of Ric 4001/3 tone but ending up a decidedly different creature (much like how I remember Scott Pope's 4002 or Dane Wilder's 4004L mod with similar pickup spacing, but the tone here is a bit different thanks to the Hi-Gains). In some ways, the neck pickup reminds me a lot of my Mustang bass, but cleaner/clearer sounding.

I love the new bridge design and was surprised to find I can palm mute with it no problem.

Aesthetically, I was put off by the green inlays but learned to love them. I bought this bass to play, not admire.

The dual pickup covers will surely go away at some point during my ownership, but haven't yet. They are surprisingly not in the way with so much open real estate by the neck.

Finally, it's very light (feels like 8 lbs) and has a terrific neck, among the best I have encountered on any Ric.

I have zero regrets buying this. It's the Ric I have waited a long time for in many respects.

ilan wrote:This guy can't really play bass. Sorry but someone has to say it.
:roll:
Rhys. Thanks for posting this. Help put my mind at ease a bit more over my purchase of this bass.

I have no idea how long it will take to get one to the UK (as the 5 here sold out instantly). Could be weeks, could be months (I hope not!). Will just have to wait and see I guess. I dont like waiting...guess it'll be worth it once it finally arrives.
admin wrote:
bassmekanik wrote:Put down a deposit on one. Will see when it turns up. Even mrs mek is excited to see this one.
Paul, I am eager to hear your review. :)
As soon as it arrives and I get time to play it you shall know!
thx1955
Veteran RRF member

Post by thx1955 »

bassmekanik wrote: As soon as it arrives and I get time to play it you shall know!
I pick up mine Saturday ..... first "new" Ric since my 4003-S in 2015
"It's Red Jim, but not as we know it...."
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

thx1955 wrote:
bassmekanik wrote: As soon as it arrives and I get time to play it you shall know!
I pick up mine Saturday ..... first "new" Ric since my 4003-S in 2015
Jim, how goes the Al Cisneeros Signature 4003S? Inquiring Rickenbacker minds what to know.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
tsarter
Veteran RRF member

Post by tsarter »

I got one of these today. Don't think I would have paid asking retail of $3300, but at a much discounted price of under 2K I was happy to get it. Aesthetically I like it - a lot. Many are put off by the green inlays, but I like different. The walnut is beautiful and a joy to hold. While I respect Al Cisnero, his genre is not one I particularly care for, but I'm so glad Rickenbacker did this model. For the the real magic is the placement of the front pickup. It's exactly where I've always wished they were. Perfect to my ears

Obviously I'm beyond pleased. This is one bass I will never sell.
basmansam

Post by basmansam »

I really like the idea of the jazz bass pickup spacing.
I think I'll hold out for a 4002sw:

Isaac

Post by Isaac »

I bought one yesterday. Not even sure why, except that it was available locally for a good price.
bassmekanik

Post by bassmekanik »

Ok. Finally managed to get home from offshore yesterday (from Alabama, sailed to St Johns in Canada, flights to Toronto, to London, to Edinburgh then drive to Aberdeen.....) and got my hands on the bass.

I love it. Its beautiful. The pictures just dont do it justice. I wasnt totally sold on the green inlays but seeing it in person and I'm sold. The finish on the entire bass is great to look at. Mrs Mek instantly likes this one more than any others I have - she thought nothing would beat the Blackstar. :)

The neck is a bit fatter than I am used to but I actually really like it. Very comfortable for my massive hands. The sound is superb. I just need to get my Ampeg fixed after lockdown so I can hear it through a good amp and not my wee Trace Elliot.

Liking the pickup spacing and, as I use a plectrum mainly, I removed the pickup covers for better access. Still looks nice without the covers although I'll probably get a couple of the inserts to fill the holes a bit. Maybe. I dont mind how it looks as it is. The thumb rest is pretty nice where it is but I dont use my fingers often so it'll probably get left and ignored.

Overall I am very happy with this one. Definitely a keeper and probably my go to bass from now on for everything!

One odd thing though. Why fit Schaller strap lock buttons to the bass and not supply the actual strap parts to go with them?... Seems a bit of an oversight to me. My old strap locks dont fit (as this is a newer design apparently) so I need to order a new set to fit. ho hum. A (very) minor gripe.

Edit: Just to add, this is the first brand new Rickenbacker ive bought. All the ones ive owned have been bought second hand although 1 was practically new. Only have the AC and the Blackstar left now, and they'll do just fine.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

I've been playing with mine a little. I like the pickup placement. The previous owner has removed the pickup covers and installed the Rickenbacker treble bezels that he said came with. Good idea, I think.

It definitely sounds different than my 4003W. I'm not sure how obvious the difference will be in a band context. Maybe I'll get the chance to find out someday.
blueflamerick
Advanced Member

Post by blueflamerick »

radapaw

Post by radapaw »

blueflamerick wrote:Check out Al's bass in this video.

https://www.facebook.com/10200332135968 ... 998104570/
Oh how I lust after that spc! When I heard there was a signature model I figured it was going to be this.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Along the same line as the 4003AC, Ric made one of these:

http://boutique.rickenbacker.com/4003-S ... p_794.html
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Had a band practice Friday, and I took the 4003AC. I like it. It's set up with a very low action, compared to my other Rics. That made it more clacky. Little bit of buzz. I noticed it on the A string, particularly when playing a B. Intonation is spot on, all the way up the neck. I like the sound a lot. A bit brighter, a bit punchier than a standard Ric. I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's a better sound than a standard Ric, but it is a different one, and in a useful way.

I'll take it to a gig on Thursday (different band). My expectation is that the guys in that band will ooh and ah over its looks, but won't like the sound as much, if they notice a difference at all. They prefer the deep sound of a standard Ric, which is one thing the 4003AC isn't as good at.
bbmaster123

Post by bbmaster123 »

The upgraded Version 4003S comes with an improved dual truss system. Of course, the famous solid bass tones, the ringing sustain and triple beat that we are known for make this a dream. Not surprisingly, we received a standing request to return this.
Any Beatles fan, watch "Beatles 3000" on youtube! XD

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”