Introducing the Al Cisneros Signature 4003S

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

LBx

Re: Introducing the Al Cisneros Signature 4003S

Post by LBx »

cheyenne wrote:Needs more distortion. :roll:
Here's an odd clip with some excellent clean*ish sounds. I can't stop listening to it...

*Maybe a 250 at very low gain? Dunno.

Despite the practical upgrades, I'd say the most satisfying bit is the crisp, tear shaped pick guard against the walnut. Love it.
ilan
RRF Consultant

Post by ilan »

This guy can't really play bass. Sorry but someone has to say it.
"A Noble Instrument Must Be Nobly Regarded"
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

ilan wrote:This guy can't really play bass. Sorry but someone has to say it.
In the first minute of that video it was apparent to me he is a fantastic bassist and musician with a unique style and technique. He's also a member here, so I think you could have thought twice about posting an insult.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the clip of Al Cisneros of Sleep. It is nice to see the signature bass in action. For anyone who has played live, sometimes the production is not as balanced as we would like it to be. While this selection may not be everyone's preferred style, Al deserves our respect as a performer. That said, a critical sample of Al Cisneros work reveals that he can play bass and I would ask that we treat him accordingly. Rock on Al!
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
callofcthulhu

Post by callofcthulhu »

So what would you call what he's doing in that video?

He's definitely not picking daisies with it...
bassmekanik

Post by bassmekanik »

jdogric12 wrote: He's also a member here.
This kinda made my day. (also, Dragonaut just came on my itunes playlist as im writing this post. hah). :D

Does anyone on here own one of these or has had a chance to play one at all?

Im intrigued to know how they sound with the twin treble pickups (without effects). I have an opportunity to buy one of these in the UK but im not likely to get a chance to actually play it until after I buy it (weird, i know - dont ask). I found a couple videos online of people playing it with no effects but, tbh, their play style really did nothing to show off the sound properly.

I think it looks great and the more pictures I see the more I want one. As its a tad expensive I wont be buying another bass for some time so would like some thoughts if anyone can help.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Paul: The 4003S AC bass is one of several more recent upgrades to the Rickenbacker bass lines. I am pleased to see them. I hope members here will be able to fill you in. :)
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
bassmekanik

Post by bassmekanik »

Peter. I like the look of the upgrades, particularly the bridge, and im looking for a new Rickenbacker with the new bridge. The 4003AC is looking quite sweet. Hopefully someone can help out.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

bassmekanik wrote:
Im intrigued to know how they sound with the twin treble pickups (without effects). I have an opportunity to buy one of these in the UK but im not likely to get a chance to actually play it until after I buy it (weird, i know - dont ask). I found a couple videos online of people playing it with no effects but, tbh, their play style really did nothing to show off the sound properly.
Here's a video without effects...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Wq0xB_ ... Lm2f7HDmgM
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
Lefty4001

Post by Lefty4001 »

useless comment. useless consultant.
'turn up the bass'
bassmekanik

Post by bassmekanik »

Put down a deposit on one. Will see when it turns up. Even mrs mek is excited to see this one.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

bassmekanik wrote:Put down a deposit on one. Will see when it turns up. Even mrs mek is excited to see this one.
Paul, I am eager to hear your review. :)

thx1955
Veteran RRF member

Post by thx1955 »

Well, although it's not Fireglo, it is indeed strangley attractive.

It's my birthday tomorrow, and it'll be roughly 50 years since I first took up playing bass, and over 45 since I got my first 4001

The Birthday Faerie secured me one of these very nice 4003's .... Pics will follow when it arrives
"It's Red Jim, but not as we know it...."
thx1955
Veteran RRF member

Post by thx1955 »

rickenbrother wrote:Holding one without hardware, during one of my recent visits to RIC. 8)
Ooooo ... look at that lovely v63 behind you
"It's Red Jim, but not as we know it...."
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

I own one that I bought from Wildwood a while back at a really nice price. I adore it. It has gotten many "that's your coolest bass" comments from various musical collaborators and whenever I don't bring it to a gig, its absence is often bemoaned. That tells me something.

I love that it sounds a lot like a punchier Jazz Bass, emphasizing some of the strong points of Ric 4001/3 tone but ending up a decidedly different creature (much like how I remember Scott Pope's 4002 or Dane Wilder's 4004L mod with similar pickup spacing, but the tone here is a bit different thanks to the Hi-Gains). In some ways, the neck pickup reminds me a lot of my Mustang bass, but cleaner/clearer sounding.

I love the new bridge design and was surprised to find I can palm mute with it no problem.

Aesthetically, I was put off by the green inlays but learned to love them. I bought this bass to play, not admire.

The dual pickup covers will surely go away at some point during my ownership, but haven't yet. They are surprisingly not in the way with so much open real estate by the neck.

Finally, it's very light (feels like 8 lbs) and has a terrific neck, among the best I have encountered on any Ric.

I have zero regrets buying this. It's the Ric I have waited a long time for in many respects.

:roll:

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”