Ric 4003S Matte Black finish issue

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

sarlscharisma

Ric 4003S Matte Black finish issue

Post by sarlscharisma »

I have a 2018 Matte Black Ric 4003S, but it has what seems to be a finish flaw. It is a finish issue around the tailpiece. It looks like a tailpiece template - that is slightly wider than the tailpiece the that has been fitted -had been used as a guide when the paint finish was applied. Another way of describing it would be that a slightly larger tailplane was fixed to the bass and then removed and replaced with a slightly narrower one, leaving an impression of the wider one there. I'm struggling to work out how this happened as all the paint finishing is done before the hardware is added.

Question is, has anybody else experienced this finish flaw. I've not noticed in on the glossy finished on other 4003's I've owned in the past?
sarlscharisma

Re: Ric 4003S Matte Black finish issue

Post by sarlscharisma »

Here is a picture of my 4003S tailgate issue...
tailpiece.jpg
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

Wondering if that might be a tool mark when the cavity for the mute and bridge are opened. Just a thunk.
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
gregson62

Post by gregson62 »

I think Rickenbacker had to change their paint years ago so they could continue to build instruments in California. I have a bass built in '97 and the finish is immaculate everywhere, including under the pick guard, treble pickup surround, truss rod cover, and so on. I've never removed the tailpiece, but the point is that the paint they were using during that period had time to fully harden before the parts went on during assembly. Move forward to 2018 and my 4003 has paint indents all over the place from the parts installed over the finish. My bass is a limited edition with the 'vintage style' truss rod cover with the painted backside and the surface texture of this painted backside was enough to make an impression into the paint on the front side of the headstock. Same for the treble pickup surround and tailpiece. This newer style paint is not being given enough time to harden before the parts go on.

Are you the original owner of your bass? If so, did you send in your warranty card? The finish is warrantied for one year after the production date, so the clock is ticking for factory finish issues. If you got the bass second hand, did some try to install a Hipshot bridge? Or--is this a factory issue, where someone initially lined up the tailpiece incorrectly--when the paint was still soft.

I am not a fan of some of the quality control issues like this coming from Rickenbacker recently, but they can build some exceptional instruments, too. Without some additional history for your bass, it's hard to say what happened.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Malcolm: What does the Factory have to say about this instrument?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Were you the first owner, as in, bought the bass brand new from a legit dealer? Or, did you buy the bass used?
sarlscharisma

Post by sarlscharisma »

Bought it 2nd hand in UK so I doubt I can go down the warranty route, even though I have the warranty card. I know it was originally bought from a legit store.

Either it is a Hipshot (but not sure if the tailpiece is wider than the Ric tailpiece) or it got through Quality Control.
sarlscharisma

Post by sarlscharisma »

In fact the more I look at it the more I think a Hipshot has been fitted and removed again. I can't see how this would get through QC otherwise??
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

sarlscharisma wrote:In fact the more I look at it the more I think a Hipshot has been fitted and removed again. I can't see how this would get through QC otherwise??
That is exactly where I was going with my inquiry.
sarlscharisma

Post by sarlscharisma »

Does anyone know if the Hipshot is slightly wider than the Ric tailpiece at the pickup end?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Yes, it is.
sarlscharisma

Post by sarlscharisma »

The tailpiece can't have been on too long. But one thing it does suggest, the paint/finish is not very robust. I wonder if the bass will withstand the rigours of gigging. :|

My 76 3000 is built like a tank and so is its finish.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”