Toggle Switch 4001

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

stevenghill

Toggle Switch 4001

Post by stevenghill »

This switch looks like it might replace my broken toggle switch for my 4001....any comments...Switchcraft 3-Way Right Angle "L-Type" Toggle Switch w/ Genuine Black Switchcraft Tip
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Re: Toggle Switch 4001

Post by aceonbass »

That sounds like the correct switch, but the threaded switch bat is shorter on that switch than the one that RIC has custom made for them. You'll need to cut about 1/8" off of your existing switch tip in order to catch the threads on the tip...or you can add epoxy inside the tip, then install it to build new threads.
nov_1981

Post by nov_1981 »

What sort of problem are you having with the switch?
If its just a matter of scratchy noise it can be easily cleaned with a little dioxit
stevenghill

Post by stevenghill »

Switch won’t stay set on treble pu I looked at it can’t figure out why it won’t stay keeps going back to blend ...I could live with it
stevenghill

Post by stevenghill »

I should spend the xtra $10 bucks and buy the RIC toggle
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

stevenghill wrote:Switch won’t stay set on treble pu I looked at it can’t figure out why it won’t stay keeps going back to blend ...I could live with it
There are tabs that the inner tip of the bat contact and move to operate the switch. Over time they can get bent out of position and only require one to re-bend them them with a needlenose pliers (I mentioned this to you in your other thread, elsewhere). it's not rocket surgery to do this, but you may/will have to readjust them until the switch operates as intended. These switches last decades so no need to replace it, really.

Also, as mentioned above, if the switch get scratchy or intermittent the contact pads on the leaves can be cleaned, easily.
stevenghill

Post by stevenghill »

I will give it a try! Thanks
henry5
Advanced Member

Post by henry5 »

jps wrote:
stevenghill wrote:Switch won’t stay set on treble pu I looked at it can’t figure out why it won’t stay keeps going back to blend ...I could live with it
There are tabs that the inner tip of the bat contact and move to operate the switch. Over time they can get bent out of position and only require one to re-bend them them with a needlenose pliers (I mentioned this to you in your other thread, elsewhere). it's not rocket surgery to do this, but you may/will have to readjust them until the switch operates as intended. These switches last decades so no need to replace it, really.

Also, as mentioned above, if the switch get scratchy or intermittent the contact pads on the leaves can be cleaned, easily.
The switch on my main '72 would stay set on the neck pickup when I got it. I tried many times over a couple of years or more to fix it with pliers and never quite got it there. Eventually, when I took it to have a fretstone done by Jaydee guitars, John obviously fixed it because it's worked properly ever since.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

It can be a bit fiddly to get right, but with a bit of patience it can be done; I've done it a few times.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

I often get brand new Switchcraft switches that have issues with not staying in the up or down positions, so I test them all and end up tweaking about 1/3rd of them before I put them in stock.
prowla

Post by prowla »

Di Marzio do a compatible right-angled switch too, but I'd be inclined to just get the part from RIC.

I am intending to put one of these onto a project...

https://www.freewayswitch.com/
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

prowla wrote:Di Marzio do a compatible right-angled switch too, but I'd be inclined to just get the part from RIC.

I am intending to put one of these onto a project...

https://www.freewayswitch.com/
I like it! Looks easier to use than the six position rotary switch that's on one of my guitars.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”