70's 4001 Side markers per fret????

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Dirk

70's 4001 Side markers per fret????

Post by Dirk »

Hello RR,
I have a curious question, I just played on a nice playing old 70's Rick at a friends memorial.
It played great but was a bit confusing since every fret had a black side marker.

I could see the advantage of that on a fretless, but on fretted it was an interesting challenge.

He said he bought it in the 70's, that's all he could remember.

Oh yeah did I mention it was Burgundy and had dots on the fingerboard.
White trim (no chex), I should have looked at the serial.

What was this model, and has anybody else seen this odd option?
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: 70's 4001 Side markers per fret????

Post by jps »

Perhaps it was a fretless that was fretted.
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

The owner has had it since new, and everything else seems original, and the side dots certainly appear to be factory.
And I would guess the frets were original as well.

Just a really curious one, I've certainly never seen it before.

I asked him if he wanted to get rid of it, he said no go.

Thanks,
Dirk
FretlessOnly
Advanced Member

Post by FretlessOnly »

It's actually a complete disaster on a fretless. My April '73 4001FL has dots at every note position (at least better than the brief period of dots at every mid-fret location in the ~'90s on FL's) and it forces me to think. I don't want to think when I'm performing or rehearsing; only when I'm practicing at home. Dots on pitch at 3, 5, 7, 9, 12, 15, 17 and 19 are much more conducive to fluid playing without having to break out the white-out (which is what I've done) to obscure the useless (actually worse than useless as they are a major hindrance) dots. I love that bass, except for the dots.
Can we have everything louder than everything else?
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

Hey John,
yeah I found it completely distracting, I don't normally have to look. I've played plenty of fretless basses, some frets removed with normal mid fret markers, some with dots or lines at the fret line. Really don't have much preference, both work well for me.

Your description is spot on, other than having frets.

Like I said it seemed really unusual for sure.

Do you suppose this was a custom option or something?
Dirk
FretlessOnly
Advanced Member

Post by FretlessOnly »

It's odd that you state that the fingerboard has dots but the bass has plain white binding. I realize that there are variants out there, but the fingerboard dots were used on the FL and S models and the S models have no binding. Since the binding is plain and the dots are black, that places it most likely in the '75-'79 time frame (I'm assuming some '74s have black dots but many are red).

The side dots were mid-fret, correct (and did not line up with the fingerboard dots)? The only halfway logical conclusion I can come up with considering all the info is that it was an FL that was fretted, but that would put the side dots at the frets. And that seems like more trouble than its worth (and I'm sure he would have mentioned it). A custom order? Possibly.
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

Hey John,
yeah thanks it just didn't add up when I saw it.

The body binding combo with face dots on the fingerboard were confusing enough.

If it wasn't so confusing to play I'd get in touch with the guy and make him an offer.
Dirk
FretlessOnly
Advanced Member

Post by FretlessOnly »

Hey Dirk: FYI, I never use the fingerboard dots on my FL. For one, they are a vestige of fretted bass fingerboards and therefore useless in a FL context and secondly, in normal playing position, I can't see 90% of them. I use the side dots and my ear.

In any case, I don't know if that's you in your avatar, but whomever that is, the right arm technique is flawless. Folks complain about the body binding hurting their right arm, but having that right elbow up and away from the body (both the bass and the player's) is the way to go. It gets one on top of the instrument and permanently removes any binding issues.
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

I find on fretless I tend to not look at all, let the muscle memory do it's work, well yeah ears are more important anyway.
A former roommate used to have an FL and I loved it, but it had traditional side markers.

Yeah that's a very old picture of me on my well missed '69 4001, man I miss that bass. I had sold my '79 4001 to buy the '69 in Boston while I was at school, one of the best deals I've ever made.

I never noticed but you are right about that arm, I can't rest it on the body as my hand will fall asleep otherwise.
I always figured an S might be more comfortable because of that.

Dirk
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

The '04 4003FL I had had dots (both side markers and face of fingerboard) in the same locations as that of a fretted 4003. It took some mental adjustments for me as I do have a tendency to look at the fingerboard sometimes. Personally, I prefer a clean, unmarked fingerboard on my fretless basses.
Jeff-1200_03.jpg
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

Nice Fl there! I'm a sucker for any Maple Glo.

I tend to look at side only, I guess the fingerboard is to far in front of me.
Or maybe the way I tilt, lol who knows?

Then again the ears still rule in fretless land for me.
FretlessOnly
Advanced Member

Post by FretlessOnly »

Dirk

Post by Dirk »

Hey John,
I never considered a black pickguard on a MG, but that certainly works.
Dirk
thx1955
Veteran RRF member

Post by thx1955 »

Dirk wrote:I find on fretless I tend to not look at all, let the muscle memory do it's work,
Dirk
Couldn't agree more, I've two Fretless, a Fireglo 73-4001, and a Jetglo 2007-4003, side dots on both, neither has ever given me any bother.
It never crossed my mind as such until reading the thread, I can see however, that a once fretted neck converted to fretless may be confusing as the side dots would be in the wrong locations

Bare binding might look nice without the dots though.
"It's Red Jim, but not as we know it...."

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”