Dinged up my 4003W yesterday.

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Isaac

Dinged up my 4003W yesterday.

Post by Isaac »

I've had it for two years now. I've used it a fair amount, so it's worn in a few places, dirty in a few others, but no serious dings anywhere. Until yesterday.

Playing at the rodeo grounds, on a low stage with hay bales in front on the ground. I went to step off the stage, using one of the bales as a step. The bale flexed a bit, and my foot got caught under the twine holding the bale together. Down I went, scraping and bruising my right forearm and elbow, and the bass whacked the ground as well. Not too obvious, but it scraped the binding near the bridge, and the bridge itself as well. The binding I can probably sand out, but the bridge is scraped through the chrome. I'll likely smooth that out, too, but should I worry about corrosion? Maybe put some clear nail polish on it?
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Re: Dinged up my 4003W yesterday.

Post by aceonbass »

The tailpiece is made of zinc, which will tarnish to a dark hue eventually where ever it is exposed.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

aceonbass wrote:The tailpiece is made of zinc, which will tarnish to a dark hue eventually where ever it is exposed.
Why would the zinc tarnish? It's not redox active (always 2+ charge state). Maybe the "zinc" is an alloy in this case?
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

I might sand the tailpiece and put clear nail polish on it. I can always remove it later if I decide to.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

Leave it be. It tells a story. You will get more dings over time. Anybody who has played the same favorite instrument, over time, whatever make or model, will agree. 1 ding = 1 ding. Over time, many dings = patina. It is the life of a musician with a favorite instrument played regularly, including my favorite 4002 (yes, "2," not "1" or "3"), which got a substantial scratch in the finish the first gig I played it 26 years ago from a music stand getting knocked over on it during a band break.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I am with Scott. Let it be and play on.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

I'm certainly not going to get worked up over it. After all, it had to happen sooner or later
gellkeller
Intermediate Member

Post by gellkeller »

How is the elbow holding up?
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

gellkeller wrote:How is the elbow holding up?
Pretty well. We cleaned and bandaged the wound, which turned out to be not deep. The bruises are still tender. Bruised the ulna, and bone bruises take a while to heal, but it's more an annoyance than anything else, really.

Thanks for asking.
gellkeller
Intermediate Member

Post by gellkeller »

Isaac wrote:...Thanks for asking.
You're welcome.

It's unfortunate that musicians don't look as cool as a beaten up instrument. That coolness gap widens significantly in relation to the age of the musician and instrument. Old beaten up guitar cool, old beaten up musician not so cool.

If it's any consolation, you aren't the only one.

Isaac

Post by Isaac »

The Edge goes over the edge!

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”