4005 Gig bag or case

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

tsarter
Veteran RRF member

4005 Gig bag or case

Post by tsarter »

Good afternoon,

The only case I have for my 4005 is a really cheap Fender Gig bag. I have some other nice gig bags going unused, but it's a little bit too long for them. Can anyone recommend a good quality gig bag that would fit a 4005? If not, any leads on a where to find a HSC? This bass is too nice for a thin gig bag and I'm starting to use it at gigs quite a bit now.

Thanks,

Tim
bugman

Re: 4005 Gig bag or case

Post by bugman »

A while back Chris at Pick of the Ricks had some hardcases I believe. You might check his site
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Mine had its original HSC but many times I would use the Kaces III gig bag I got with my first Rick Turner Renaissance bass in 2000. Not sure what modern equivalent may be out there, these days.

As to HSC, not inexpensive, but you may want to check into an Ameritage case. I had a couple of those, once again, for the aforementioned Turner bass, and for the second one I had, too.
Guzzitd63

Post by Guzzitd63 »

http://www.pickofthericks.com/rickenbac ... cker-4005/

In my opinion, $279.00 doesn't seem like an unreasonable amount of money to protect a $10,000.00 instrument.

*edited for additional comments.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Guzzitd63 wrote:http://www.pickofthericks.com/rickenbac ... cker-4005/

In my opinion, $279.00 doesn't seem like an unreasonable amount of money to protect a $10,000.00 instrument.

*edited for additional comments.
+1

FWIW, the RM3261 I had (and sold to Getty) had a custom-made case, which may have been by Ameritage, but I don't know for sure. It was a really good fit for it.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

doctorwho wrote:...the RM3261 I had (and sold to Getty) had a custom-made case, which may have been by Ameritage, but I don't know for sure. It was a really good fit for it.
Is it in the Malibu museum, or the one near the top of the 405 pass? :mrgreen:
nixdad

Post by nixdad »

Update -
Thanks to info on Talkbass, I found a very good, well padded, affordable gig bag for a 4005. It's the Road Runner RR5TEB Highway Premium Electric Bass Gig Bag which can be purchased at either Guitar Center or Musician's Friend ($120 retail, currently on sale for $99.) Since I can't post a photo, here's the link: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Road-Runne ... ag%20Black

The bag has padded sides, a padded neck support with velcro strap (to keep the neck in place,) and features a wide bottom with an additional form-fitted curved pad at the bottom which is also held in place with velcro. A 4005 will not fit (length-wise) with this additional pad in place as-is, however, the pad itself has a zipper (on the velcro side away from the finish) which allows the owner to easily remove the bulk of the additional padding. Once done and re-velcro'd in place, the interior of the bag will then be long enough to accommodate a 4005 (vintage or XC) very nicely for local gigs. That removable pad is just one of the excellent design features of this bag.
- padded handle, and secondary stabilizing handle on the back
- backpack straps
- a separate zippered pouch on the topside which runs the length of the bag for strings, cables, etc.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

That's good info for anyone else needing one. 8)

Here's a screen shot for posterity ...

Screenshot from 2023-12-15 23-26-56.png
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

jps wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:02 am
doctorwho wrote:...the RM3261 I had (and sold to Getty) had a custom-made case, which may have been by Ameritage, but I don't know for sure. It was a really good fit for it.
As in, "... Drove my Chevy to the Getty ..."???? :) 8) :roll: :lol:

My former 1979 Malibu wagon at the Synthetic Blood Int. building in 2001
My former 1979 Malibu wagon at the Synthetic Blood Int. building in 2001
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

doctorwho wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:47 am
jps wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:02 am
As in, "... Drove my Chevy to the Getty ..."???? :) 8) :roll: :lol:

PB110117.JPG
:lol: :lol: :lol:
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

doctorwho wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:30 am That's good info for anyone else needing one. 8)

Here's a screen shot for posterity ...
rr_gigbass_scshot.jpg
I have one of these deluxe Roadrunner gig bags. It's one of the most protective gig bags available. It's similar to the new Gator ICON series. It has lots of room to hold accessories. It has extra cushions at the top and bottom that can be removed to suit the size of your bass guitar. This gig bag is probably a good choice for a 4005 but check its internal dimensions as the 4005 is a bit long.
These gig bags weigh almost as much as the standard RIC bass case and due to the size and weight are almost as cumbersome as a standard size bass case. If you're only carrying this gig bag, the extra handle in the back helps it from being cumbersome. I've never used it for gigging because of how much room it takes up in the car. It's longer and wider (front to back) than most standard bass guitar cases.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”