1974 without wavy grovers?

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

radapaw

1974 without wavy grovers?

Post by radapaw »

Anyone seen a '74 4001 that didn't come stock with wavy grovers? I'd like to at least stay period specific on a 74 I own, ( the old tuners are long gone, replace with ****** Asian box tuners) and, being in Canada, 350-400US$ for a set of wavy grovers tuners is just insanity.
bassduke49

Re: 1974 without wavy grovers?

Post by bassduke49 »

If it's any consolation, my June '72 has FLAT KEY Grovers. Since Klusons and Grovers were both standards back and fourth during the period (apparently), it's hard to say if either would be incorrect.
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
chefothefuture
Advanced Member

Post by chefothefuture »

bassduke49 wrote:If it's any consolation, my June '72 has FLAT KEY Grovers. Since Klusons and Grovers were both standards back and fourth during the period (apparently), it's hard to say if either would be incorrect.
Depends on the footprint left by the original tuners. My '74 has '70s Klusons on it, but also has the screw holes for Slimlines which a covered by the Klusons. I figured that since it was an either/or thing, I'd leave it be.
radapaw

Post by radapaw »

yeah the flat grovers seem to be very rare, hopefully yours are still together! I see the Klusons at decent prices fairly often and like them on my other basses... I may give in and go that route.
henry5
Advanced Member

Post by henry5 »

bassduke49 wrote:If it's any consolation, my June '72 has FLAT KEY Grovers. Since Klusons and Grovers were both standards back and fourth during the period (apparently), it's hard to say if either would be incorrect.
My Feb ‘72 has them as well. They really are like rocking horse doodoo.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”