4003 strap button drop in replacement - which works?

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

4003 strap button drop in replacement - which works?

Post by lumgimfong »

I'd rather use another locking system than the Pic factory straplok system button (which really isn't a strap lok button) that came on my 4003.

The system I will be using is easier to get straps on-off than a strap lok, which gets stuck sometimes for me, and also uses any regular strap button. No need for a design specific button.

Problem is, the specific 4003 factory buttons have a threading that doesn't match a "normal" strap button and the 4003 type screw length is shorter.

Anyone know of a regular button that will fit as a drop in replacement for the stock 4003 buttons?

I really don't want to drill, or do the matchstick mod. But I do want to ditch the strap locks and go to the easier functioning system I have.
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Re: 4003 strap button drop in replacement - which works?

Post by lumgimfong »

Aha!
I swapped the strap bolts with the foam mute adjuster bolts, since the foam mute adjuster bolts are the drop in replacements for the strap lok bolts.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Michael: Glad you found the solution.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

I looked at the Ric Boutique and saw that their non locking strap bolts are also the foam adjuster bolts so I swapped them since I never use the mute anyway. Saves me 25$ plus shipping. I can switch them back if I want to use strap locks again,too. Mute adjusts same with strap lock bolts in there.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

Per Mr. JH himself, the strap bolts are the Metric version of the Schaller strap lock bolts, designed to have a slight interference fit with the American tap into the wood. Quote Link (scroll down a couple of posts):
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=408127&start=15
Another Mr. JH quote:
http://www.rickenbacker.com/forum/viewt ... =2&t=15969
And another Mr. JH quote, confirming the Strap buttons/bolts are made for RIC by Shaller:
http://www.rickenbacker.com/forum/viewt ... =2&t=15780
So that is about all that fits.
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

Thanks for the info.
Nevertheless, the screws that came with my strap locks do not fit the factory Ric holes in my 2016 4003. Neither threads nor length.
And the button part doest even fit my strap loks very well either, requiring lotsa frustrating jiggling to remove the strap.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”