no output from neck pickup when plugged into rick-o-sound

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

black_kettle

no output from neck pickup when plugged into rick-o-sound

Post by black_kettle »

Hello folks. This is the best bass I've ever owned and I have a warranty on it if I need something fixed. However, I'm getting no sound out of the neck pickup when I plug into the rickosound jack. Is it because I don't have a splitter or is this not normal? The neck pickup works fine when plugged into the regular jack and it's tone is great. Everything else works including the push pot thing. I'm wondering if it's a problem or is just due to not using one of those splitter things because it's stereo output or whatever?
admin
Site Admin

Re: no output from neck pickup when plugged into rick-o-soun

Post by admin »

Jack this is because you don't have the splitter, as you have suggested.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
black_kettle

Post by black_kettle »

Thanks so much for clearing that up. I was worried for a bit.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

black_kettle wrote:Hello folks. This is the best bass I've ever owned and I have a warranty on it if I need something fixed. However, I'm getting no sound out of the neck pickup when I plug into the rickosound jack. Is it because I don't have a splitter or is this not normal? The neck pickup works fine when plugged into the regular jack and it's tone is great. Everything else works including the push pot thing. I'm wondering if it's a problem or is just due to not using one of those splitter things because it's stereo output or whatever?
When using the ROS jack you must use a TRS cable that separates the two pickups and their attendant controls. By using your standard TS instrument cable the neck pickup has no independent path for it to go anywhere, and is being shorted to ground.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

jps wrote:
black_kettle wrote:Hello folks. This is the best bass I've ever owned and I have a warranty on it if I need something fixed. However, I'm getting no sound out of the neck pickup when I plug into the rickosound jack. Is it because I don't have a splitter or is this not normal? The neck pickup works fine when plugged into the regular jack and it's tone is great. Everything else works including the push pot thing. I'm wondering if it's a problem or is just due to not using one of those splitter things because it's stereo output or whatever?
When using the ROS jack you must use a TRS cable that separates the two pickups and their attendant controls. By using your standard TS instrument cable the neck pickup has no independent path for it to go anywhere, and is being shorted to ground.
This. ^ TRS means "Tip Ring Sleeve" and is otherwise known as a stereo plug with common ground (the sleeve), as used to be used as a stereo headphone plug, among other applications.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”