NBD the good and the bad!

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

FretlessOnly
Advanced Member

Re: NBD the good and the bad!

Post by FretlessOnly »

I was going to mention the odd history of the side dots in your other thread, but then I saw tonight that you'd already acquired the bass. I think the FLs had side dots identical to the fretted versions in the first half of the 2000s, +/-. I have a '73 4001FL and an '08 4003FL. It's clear to me, that while I love both basses, this is despite RIC not really understanding what fretless players generally need.

1. My April '73 has side dots at every note location. That's no help at all, really. What I need is position context. 3, 5, 7, 9, 12, 15,17 and 19 (otherwise, I have to think - the bane of a musician, and meanwhile, once I've thought, I'm a bar behind...). I think that what they were doing is spoon-feeding the fretted player on how to deal with fretless. A good idea for about six months of playing, but then it became a horrible idea.
2. The early 2000's basses had side dots that lined up with the fingerboard dots. The fingerboards used are standard fretted S model fingerboards, so that's doubly frustrating as 1) the side dots are no help as they are at the wrong position; and 2) even though the fingerboard dots are no help, I can't see 90% of them when holding the bass in proper position. So why are they there?
3. The 2008 has the proper staggering of side dots, so it only took them ~40 years to figure it out.

FYI, they also made '00 FLs in midnight blue (I added the black trim):

All this aside, by all means, enjoy your new bass!
Can we have everything louder than everything else?
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

I wonder if having no dots on fretless would actually be best?

Then that would force quick learning through the ear, which is the best teller of the intonation I would think. Take the visual out of it all together. May make for faster learning due to absolute necessity. Nothing to do but learn through the ear.

Perhaps that marking tape beginner classical strings players use until one adjusts?
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

Congrats!! If it plays great, feels great, looks great, and sounds great, you have a winner!!! Don't fret over the dots. You will adjust.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

lumgimfong wrote:I wonder if having no dots on fretless would actually be best?
On an upright bass, there are reference points, such as the neck-to-body joint that helps provide references as to wherre you are on the fingerboard. However, the electric bass' fingerboard is so long with nary a reference that dots really are required.
ram

Post by ram »

Hell, we marked all over the upright's neck with masking tape in class. was very helpful when you are learning and much shorter than the tuning pegs....
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

ram wrote:Hell, we marked all over the upright's neck with masking tape in class. was very helpful when you are learning and much shorter than the tuning pegs....
Outside of Edgar Meyer :mrgreen: , who does that for public performances?
ram

Post by ram »

Mister Christy's middle school orchestra (late sixties - early seventies)...... hahahahahahahahaha......
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
StevieDee

Post by StevieDee »

Hi Thanks for all the replies
jps wrote:On an upright bass, there are reference points, such as the neck-to-body joint that helps provide references as to wherre you are on the fingerboard. However, the electric bass' fingerboard is so long with nary a reference that dots really are required.
This is certainly true in my case I find it easier to find the notes on an upright than on a fretless with no dots!
FretlessOnly wrote: 1) the side dots are no help as they are at the wrong position; and 2) even though the fingerboard dots are no help, I can't see 90% of them when holding the bass in proper position. So why are they there?!
My thoughts exactly, I have a lined Musicman (sacrilege!) and until recently I had a Mensinger Cazpar which had the best side markers I had ever seen. Side dots in the fretted position but also tiny fret lines on the side of the fingerboard really great. So the logic of side dots in the fretted position totally escapes me. I love your bass by the way!
I play fretless a lot and as much as I would like to play completely dotless It's just not going to happen, I need a reference. It's just not an option to have bad tuning and unfortunately the limitations of my technique would result in that!

All that being said I love the sound of the bass and should get it back from the luthier tomorrow. It currently has rounds which i loved the sound of but I'm used to flats so as an experiment I've bought some tape wounds.

I have gone ampless and rely on in ears. I use a Helix with the RoS sending each pickup to seperate signal paths and outputs but for fretless that doesn't happen as I use the Stingray. it's a great bass but I'm quite excited about the idea of using RoS on the fretless and just adding effects to the bridge pick up and doing a bit of experimenting.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

jps wrote:
On an upright bass, there are reference points, such as the neck-to-body joint that helps provide references as to wherre you are on the fingerboard. However, the electric bass' fingerboard is so long with nary a reference that dots really are required.
Not if you learn the Simandl position method.
StevieDee

Post by StevieDee »

Well I got the bass back and apart fron the new binding being a wee tiny touch lighter it looks great and much easer for me to play.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”