Ultralite tuners for a 4003s - am I missing something?

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

rmcfee

Ultralite tuners for a 4003s - am I missing something?

Post by rmcfee »

I bought Hipshot Ultralite tuners to install on my 4003s. The fellow at Hipshot sent me longer bushings that will (supposedly) accommodate the headstock.
I ordered the 3/8" models. The thing that has me puzzled is that the tuners will still not slide all the way in to the peghead holes without substantial reaming of the hole (which seems to be 12 mm).
The post fits great but the collar that the post comes out of is much larger than the post.
On the 1/2" type for Fenders it is a direct fit - no enlarging of the hole necessary.
Is this normal?

Also, the bushings that are the standard ones that come with the tuners are threaded on the outside to allow for screwing them on to the tuners BUT the longer custom bushings are threaded inside, making the threads useless. Am I missing something?
Not complaining - I am used to having things not fit so a bit of work is fine. I just wanted opinions from you experienced Ricksters. Thanks.
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Ultralite tuners for a 4003s - am I missing something?

Post by jps »

The post hole diameter is smaller than what the Ultralit4e needs. Simply ream/drill out the holes a bit larger. I did that on a few basses basses over the years, with no issues.
rmcfee

Post by rmcfee »

Thanks. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't dealing with some incorrect parts or something.
rmcfee

Post by rmcfee »

So - the modified bushings that Hipshot supplied are just pressed in to place? Because the threads are on the wrong side of the bushing.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

rmcfee wrote:So - the modified bushings that Hipshot supplied are just pressed in to place? Because the threads are on the wrong side of the bushing.
:shock: Pics?

How are you inserting the bushings? They are, basically, long "nuts" that screw down to the mating threads on the body of the tuning keys (don't forget to install the supplied washers).
rmcfee

Post by rmcfee »

The longer custom bushings have threads on their inside; the standard bushings have the threads on the outside which is what's necessary to get the threads to mate.
In any event, I was able to get those "standard" bushings to just catch enough to tighten them down. So that will be fine. But the mystery remains as to why the custom "long" bushings are threaded on the inside! Thanks for all your help I should say. It is much appreciated.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

rmcfee wrote:The longer custom bushings have threads on their inside; the standard bushings have the threads on the outside which is what's necessary to get the threads to mate.
In any event, I was able to get those "standard" bushings to just catch enough to tighten them down. So that will be fine. But the mystery remains as to why the custom "long" bushings are threaded on the inside! Thanks for all your help I should say. It is much appreciated.
Not on amy Hipshot Ultralites I've ever seen, and I've had a whole lot of them over the years, some I installed, some that came stock on basses. Now I'm totally confused about what you have. Can you post pics?
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

Interesting, well Hipshot used to actually sell and market Rick specific replacement tuners.
It looks like they no longer do that.

I agree on the reamer, I recently got a nice cheap one at Harbor Freight that works great.
Much easier and safer than trying to drill them out.

Also on their site I see 2 sizes of Ultralite tuners, they list 1/2" and 3/8".

Good luck,
Dirk
rmcfee

Post by rmcfee »

I will post some pics later. Thanks.
teptwizz02

Post by teptwizz02 »

Dirk wrote:Interesting, well Hipshot used to actually sell and market Rick specific replacement tuners.
It looks like they no longer do that.

I agree on the reamer, I recently got a nice cheap one at Harbor Freight that works great.
Much easier and safer than trying to drill them out.

Also on their site I see 2 sizes of Ultralite tuners, they list 1/2" and 3/8".

Good luck,
Dirk
Hmmm... Just checked the site. They still sell Ric tuners. They are the HB5 Tuning machines. I ordered a set of black ones last year and installed them on my new 4003. They fit perfectly and look awesome.

https://hipshotproducts.com/collections ... 1145283683
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

teptwizz02 wrote: Hmmm... Just checked the site. They still sell Ric tuners. They are the HB5 Tuning machines. I ordered a set of black ones last year and installed them on my new 4003. They fit perfectly and look awesome.

https://hipshotproducts.com/collections ... 1145283683
The OP (and us) are discussing Ultralite tuning key, not the HB5 which is a totally different mount. :wink:
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

Stock bushings didn't fit mine.
They invited me to send them exact measurements of the holes and they sent replacements that fit perfectly.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Hipshot has a line of "Licenced" Ultralight tuners made oversees. These are slightly different than the US versions, and have bushings that are different than the US versions. They say "Licenced" on the back.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”