4003 Hipshot Bridge replacement advice please.

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

Anyone used these on their bass?
Brass or Aluminum? Which sounds brighter?
Drops in with ease like they say?
I think I read they have a new version that worked out the kinks from the olde version they originally made.

Reason I am contemplating this swap out is because:
1. I have to take off the bridge to reset the spring for the foam mute that fell out. Might be a good time to try the replacement.
2. Ricky mute design isn't instant on/off capable anyway. Noone has time to undo bolts during a song to unmute the bass. Too slow on/off for practical use.
3. The Ricky design makes it harder to play palm mute technique when playing, since you cannot get your skin up against the bridges at the end of the strings.
4. Hipshot bridge will add more weight which might offset some of the neck dive.

Anyway, just wondering what has been your experience, especially with the newer hipshot design?
teptwizz02

Re: 4003 Hipshot Bridge replacement advice please.

Post by teptwizz02 »

I have a brass one. Love it. Drops in easily. Hefty so it def helps offset the neck dive a bit. Looks great (mine is black to match all the other black hardware). In terms of tone, to my ears, I would say that it adds a bit of sustain, but I don’t hear a difference in brightness, really.
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

To Original Poster --- you know Rickenbacker has a new design Bass Bridge-Tailpiece unit now that's available ?
http://boutique.rickenbacker.com/4003v2 ... p_786.html
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

Thanks for the link! I saw the v2. Looks great, but having to drill 4 new holes is a deal breaker for me.
I am also surprised they didn't upgrade the mute to instant on/off while they were at it. That seems like an obviously needed upgrade to the assembly.
For now, stuffing a piece of foam under the strings by hand seems faster on/off than screwing and unscrewing the v1 and v2 mute screws to activate it.

So Hipshot looks best to me at this point. Totally reversible mod (no drilling needed) and has sideways string width adjustment, too, which is nice, as I use humbuckers and would like to get the string width a little narrower for more playing ease.

twptwizz02, thanks for the brass Hipshot feedback. The weight helping offset neck dive would be a help, too.
thx1955
Veteran RRF member

Post by thx1955 »

teptwizz02 wrote:I have a brass one. Love it. Drops in easily. Hefty so it def helps offset the neck dive a bit. Looks great (mine is black to match all the other black hardware). In terms of tone, to my ears, I would say that it adds a bit of sustain, but I don’t hear a difference in brightness, really.
I've two, both Brass, one Chrome finish, and one black, both are very well finished and as previously mentioned they are a direct drop in.
"It's Red Jim, but not as we know it...."
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

I will opt for the brass for the weight offset to help the neck dive decrease since the brass weighs more.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

This is not a reactive comment. This is not an "over-conservative" or "purist" comment. This is an experiential comment from having vintage tailpieces and friends who tried Hipshot and went back to the factory tailpieces on their basses. One phrase: don't bother. There is not enough difference in tone, intonation, sustain, and stability to make a noticeable difference, especially out front at a gig. Instead, find a make, model and gauge of a set of strings you like that has a good reputation for consistency and continuity when it is time to change strings. Get the bass set up and intonated for that set of strings. It will sound great for the life of the bass with the original bridge and regular string changes. I have done this for my 4002. I am waiting on GHS to come out with Progressives 2.0, so I can use that set instead of ordering singles, tweak the set up my bass for them one time for the new set, and play them another 20+ years without having to reset the bridge height or intonation, never having to touch the bridge height adjustment or intonation screws, or the truss rod nuts, as I did between the early 90's and a couple of years ago when I had to have the bass completely refretted from wearing the frets out gigging GHS Progressives singles 45-60-80-105.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”