Rickenbacker 94550 Vintage Bass Case - My experience

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

teptwizz02

Rickenbacker 94550 Vintage Bass Case - My experience

Post by teptwizz02 »

I just posted this same topic on Talkbass, but I thought it might be helpful to present it here as well.

I know there have been various postings regarding this case in a few different forums over the years, but I thought I would just share my experience (just acquired from Musician's Friend) to help those who may be considering one for themselves.

The biggest question I've seen people post regarding this case pertains to the fit. Some have said that the case is too roomy where the bass seems to move around, and others have stated that their bass fits in nice and snug (no movement). I have a 76 Ric 4001 and 2018 Ric 4003. The new 4003 fits in perfectly with no movement. The side protrusions hug the bass nicely, and the headstock rests snug against the other side of case where there is no back and forth movement. However, the '76 does not fit quite so snugly. There is about an inch or so between the headstock and side of the case. Because the accessory box does not meet the upper horn strap lock (on either bass), this one moves back and forth a bit. I can only assume (haven't measured yet) that this is due to the fact that the headstock of the '76 is smaller than the newer 4003.

The case looks as fantastic as it does in the photos you may find online (if you're into the appearance of these tolex cases). It truly has that classic look that one would be after in a case such as this.

The QC on this case left a little to be desired. One of the lockable latches is somewhat off and takes a bit more effort to get a solid and secure clasp. The ability to lock the case on this one takes a bit of finagling as well (not sure if this matters to most folks). The top portion in this same section of the case (by the above mentioned latch) doesn't seem to line up with the bottom as seamlessly as I would have hoped. I suspect that this may be contributing to difficulties in getting the latch to close with ease. It's not drastic enough for me to consider taking the time and hassle to return/exchange the case, but it's a bit disappointing.

Anyway, I hope this bit of info helps. Cheers.
Happyface

Re: Rickenbacker 94550 Vintage Bass Case - My experience

Post by Happyface »

Thank you.
Currently: Tuxedo, 1972 4000

Past holdings: 1968 4005, Blackstar, 3000, CS, Alembric, Tuxedo, 360-12, Blackstar, 360-12, 1982 4003, Shadow, 4003 SnowGlow, CS in that order.
Guzzitd63

Post by Guzzitd63 »

Hi Phillip.
I replied to your post on TB so I'm not going to repeat here my comments from there.
I do see here that you purchased your case from Musicians Friend.
FWIW my bass fit in the case fantastically. It is a 1998 4003.
I genuinely hope you enjoy that case and it give you many years of service.
I also hope you got a really good price on it ... lol.
bluewhale

Post by bluewhale »

I got a vintage style case for my 2008 4004 Cii. The bass fits inside, but I would say it is a little too snug. Apparently the body is slightly wider than the typical vintage 4001. (I may never know.)

High marks for QC on this specimen, and it arrived in the original shipping carton, pristine, from Sam Ash.

bluewhale

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”