A question about truss rods

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

alberobello

A question about truss rods

Post by alberobello »

Hi everyone!

Time to time I have neck bow problems and buzzing frets (especially after when we moved to a new house). I took my rick to a luthier last year but actually noone around here conveys enough trust that I can leave a rickenbacker, so I am trying to solve it on my own.

How do you think I should I do with these truss rods now? (I tried to add an attachment, I hope it worked). One looks tighter than the other. Is it normal?

Normally I'd change strings one by one to avoid drastic tension changes, but I am really not sure now. Should I remove all the strings and wait for some time with completely open rod nuts?

A note, I was using .95 E string, now I am changing to .105.
Screen Shot 2020-01-25 at 19.36.12.png
Cheers!
Ozan
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: A question about truss rods

Post by jps »

V63? It looks like the G side rod has been forced down given the washer looks bent and the spacer bar is pushed nto the neck on that side a bit. Probably would be a good idea to totally loosen the rods and let the neck sit for a couple of days, then start over. If the bass played fine previous to your move, you should be able to handle this yourself, without having to pay a repair guy to turn a few screws. :wink: You can eyeball the setup, no need for exacting measurements; it's how the bass feels that is most important for your playing techinique/style.
ram

Post by ram »

Don't know how much of this kind of stuff you have done but Forumite Joey has a nice set of instructional videos and all here:

viewforum.php?f=107

Little things like the type of truss can make a difference on how you adjust the rods.
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

ram wrote:Don't know how much of this kind of stuff you have done but Forumite Joey has a nice set of instructional videos and all here:

viewforum.php?f=107

Little things like the type of truss can make a difference on how you adjust the rods.
If I ever get my new Youtube channel going, I have a whole new technique for adjusting vintage Rickenbacker necks and any problematic guitar neck of any brand. Simple and anyone could do it. Now to decide on really good Video editing software that doesn't cost a fortune.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
alberobello

Post by alberobello »

jps wrote:V63? It looks like the G side rod has been forced down given the washer looks bent and the spacer bar is pushed nto the neck on that side a bit. Probably would be a good idea to totally loosen the rods and let the neck sit for a couple of days, then start over. If the bass played fine previous to your move, you should be able to handle this yourself, without having to pay a repair guy to turn a few screws. :wink: You can eyeball the setup, no need for exacting measurements; it's how the bass feels that is most important for your playing techinique/style.
Thank you a lot for the answer :) I removed the strings, released the tension on the rods and waiting for a couple of days to put new strings.
Cheers!
Ozan
alberobello

Post by alberobello »

rickenbrother wrote:
ram wrote:Don't know how much of this kind of stuff you have done but Forumite Joey has a nice set of instructional videos and all here:

viewforum.php?f=107

If I ever get my new Youtube channel going, I have a whole new technique for adjusting vintage Rickenbacker necks and any problematic guitar neck of any brand. Simple and anyone could do it. Now to decide on really good Video editing software that doesn't cost a fortune.
It would be perfect Joey! By the way, I'd like to use this chance to say thank you for the "Joey's bass notes". It was a lifesaver when I first switched to Rickenbacker. And, It is a shame that people just 'steal' your effort without giving any single credit.

What OS do you use on your computer? I can ask around for a good and not so expensive video editing software. I'd be glad to contribute to such a thing.
Cheers!
Ozan
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

My guess is that when it was first adjusted the right rod was actually already too far down into the neck channel.
When you start over, make sure the plate is flat and no wood is compressed on the right side. If the wood is compressed
you need to fill it, that plate needs to sit perfectly flat. Since the rods are not actually attached or glued, they are very easily moved in most cases.

I agree on giving it a few days to acclimate. Just make sure that the amount of threads showing is the same on both rods.
Then of course use the regular vintage adjustment procedure and enjoy!

Good luck,
Dirk
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Regarding compressed wood, check at the heel end of the neck to see if the two acorns nuts on the body end of the rods are the same distance in from the end of the fingerboard. You may need to strengthen the wood there by saturating it with superglue to harden the surfaces the nuts bear on.
Gilmourisgod

Post by Gilmourisgod »

+1 on huge appreciation for Joey's bass notes, along with Paul Boyer's book, that pretty much covers the technical and aesthetic history of the bass. Maybe an update for V2 bridge is in order? (see how I did that, volunteering your time....)
ram

Post by ram »

Gilmourisgod wrote:+1 on huge appreciation for Joey's bass notes, along with Paul Boyer's book, that pretty much covers the technical and aesthetic history of the bass. Maybe an update for V2 bridge is in order? (see how I did that, volunteering your time....)
Very, very smooth!
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
thx1955
Veteran RRF member

Post by thx1955 »

Gilmourisgod wrote:+1 on huge appreciation for Joey's bass notes, along with Paul Boyer's book, that pretty much covers the technical and aesthetic history of the bass. Maybe an update for V2 bridge is in order? (see how I did that, volunteering your time....)
+1 both great resources
"It's Red Jim, but not as we know it...."
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

alberobello wrote:
rickenbrother wrote:

viewforum.php?f=107

It would be perfect Joey! By the way, I'd like to use this chance to say thank you for the "Joey's bass notes". It was a lifesaver when I first switched to Rickenbacker. And, It is a shame that people just 'steal' your effort without giving any single credit.

What OS do you use on your computer? I can ask around for a good and not so expensive video editing software. I'd be glad to contribute to such a thing.
Thanks for the kind words. Using Windows 10.
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

Thanks for the kind words.
maxwell

Post by maxwell »

alberobello wrote:
rickenbrother wrote:

viewforum.php?f=107

I would also be glad to contribute.
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

Oh and on the video editing front, I personally use the full version of Vegas Pro on Win10.
If you don't need all the high end tools, they make a very reasonable version that will do the basics very well.
https://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/us/

Good luck and happy editing.
Dirk

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”