Truss rod length

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

bassduke49

Re: Truss rod length

Post by bassduke49 »

Don't forget that the nut is taller on the E string side, and that might create an optical illusion as you sight down the neck from the headstock. Just sayin'.
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
maxwell

Post by maxwell »

bassduke49 wrote:Don't forget that the nut is taller on the E string side, and that might create an optical illusion as you sight down the neck from the headstock. Just sayin'.
Thanks for that observation. For someone whose also fretted over this, the bringing to light this simple truth is somewhat profound. It shouldn’t be, but... :shock:
ilan
RRF Consultant

Post by ilan »

ilan wrote:Yes, it's twisted. Evidently someone tried to correct it by loosening the rod on the G string side. And no, it's not normal, anyway not on a 2018 bass.
"A Noble Instrument Must Be Nobly Regarded"
maxwell

Post by maxwell »

Well, before you ship this off to RIC HQ or some other qualified Rick repair person, maybe raise the bridge on the no-relief side....

PS - I'm assuming that your are having a problem with string buzz.... (I also don't see a twist.) At this point, I'd say inspect the depth of the nut's string slot depth and experiment with the height of the bridge. If string buzz isn't a problem, then just play on, as Collin suggested (below).
Last edited by maxwell on Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

Already there Jeffrey, "We're all Bozos on This Bus"!
I had thought you were adjusting it while in that position, and I wondered how.

And the photos don't help, you need to shoot down one side or the other to see the neck relief.
That's one of the reasons I tend to look from the other end.

Dirk
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

Laits wrote:Here are some pics from the headstock.
Seriously, re-read my helix post and click the link. It was not made just tongue-in-cheek. So long as for any string at any place the crowns of the frets are in a straight row under the strings, meaning no buzzing or rattling, then don't worry about the slight twist of the neck, if there is any. Your wrist will thank you. Now, if the perceived twist was going the other way, that would be cause for concern because that would cause the wrist to pronate when playing the lower frets, causing physical stress.

This neck is fine. Play it and forget about it.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

iiipopes wrote:
Laits wrote:Here are some pics from the headstock.
Seriously, re-read my helix post and click the link. It was not made just tongue-in-cheek. So long as for any string at any place the crowns of the frets are in a straight row under the strings, meaning no buzzing or rattling, then don't worry about the slight twist of the neck, if there is any. Your wrist will thank you. Now, if the perceived twist was going the other way, that would be cause for concern because that would cause the wrist to pronate when playing the lower frets, causing physical stress.

This neck is fine. Play it and forget about it.
Point taken Scott. There is just something about a physical aberration that does not sit well with many of us. In this instance it may be all about the Kenny Rogers philosophy of everyday living. Know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em. :lol:
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”