Chris Squires RM DC172

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Chris Squires RM DC172

Post by jps »

cheyenne wrote:...In any case, was the horseshoe really the important factor in Chris's tone? I mean lets face it, the guy could play a 2x4 with shoestrings and still sound like Chris Squire.
No matter what bass I ever played over the decades, I could always tell that it was me................. :wink: :mrgreen:
pag
Intermediate Member

Post by pag »

I think it turned out that the pickup had been disconnected by Chris’s tech prior to the work being carried out.
pag
Intermediate Member

Post by pag »

Heres a 60s bobbin by the way.
Attachments
065FAD3F-37CA-4573-A828-EE943B11909E.jpeg
RickyBubba
Intermediate Member

Post by RickyBubba »

I was about to chime in and say go see the Sept. 1987 issue of Guitar World, which has interviews with Trevor Rabin, Chris and Mike Tobias. I THOUGHT the article had Mike talking about doing headstock repairs and a refin on the Ric about the time he did the 5 string for Chris.

BUT...just scanned all the interviews in this issue, and sure doesn't say that. So....did I read that elsewhere, see a video from Mike....or have I just gotten cabin fever?
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

I read a similar article. I know Mike had his hands on Chris's bass somewhere in the timeline.
"Knowledge is Power"
vincent_gallo

Post by vincent_gallo »

I know a lot about the history of Chris's bass. I played it many times and can describe it well and repeat many of Chris's funny stories. I also know where the original bobbin is. Too bad everything I say offends Pete or Paul or Jeffrey or Tony or Rich or Kevin. So better I let you guys sort it out
teeder

Post by teeder »

Vincent, I haven't read everything on the RRF sight, but I can't remember a single thread/post of yours that was contributing in a positive way. Other than that, I only see you posting to buy something.
IMO, if you would have just added something interesting and positive regarding this subject without insulting someone, maybe people would have a better view of you.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

teeder wrote:Vincent, I haven't read everything on the RRF sight, but I can't remember a single thread/post of yours that was contributing in a positive way. Other than that, I only see you posting to buy something.
IMO, if you would have just added something interesting and positive regarding this subject without insulting someone, maybe people would have a better view of you.
Agreed. Although, I will say that in the past Vince did, occasionally, make some worthy contributing posts. Not many, but he did, many years ago.
vincent_gallo

Post by vincent_gallo »

Kevin Teeder has posted 5,989 times in 16 years. Jeffrey Scott 36,172 times in 17 years. Frankly I am concerned neither is living a fulfilling life? I take issue with both of their motivated views of what I say. Anything I say they disagree with. They seem insecure around me or jealous ? When Kevin brushes off (and is allowed to brush off) everything I have ever said as useless or negative, he simply means he either disagreed with my views or they challenged his or he doesn't like me. And so everything I say rubs him the wrong way and he wants it erased now. He is intolerant and has already had my honest and straightforward words removed from this page many times. Kevin and Jeff both seem prejudice of anything I say or do. Jeffrey Scott is always willing and ready to join in on any conversation negative towards me

In any case my point was I own over 90 original Rickenbacker basses from 1st production thru 1970. I have handled them more than everyone on this site put together. I could offer great insight photos details and stories. However, the loudest most frequent voices here shut down anything that makes them insecure, or disrupts their soapbox or sales pitches. Especially if it is outside their expertise or budget. It is disappointing as I am sure many here would enjoy the information.

Instead many other curious members miss out on anything not controlled by the few folks who literally have posted multiple times a days for 17 years and who with that form little clicks to control free speech here. They literally
shut down discourse to the point where a thread will get removed or often just my words. Yet their blatant negative insults will remain intact. Is that fair or good for conversation or productive. Folks like Jeffrey and Kevin reflect todays intolerant world and unless you agree with their status quo pedestrian views or kiss their rings they will bark you down. I mean Jeffrey you spoke 36,172 times already, can someone else get a word in without your reaction and control?

Or will you cry again and have my words removed?
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

vincent_gallo wrote:I could offer great insight photos details and stories.
Prove 'em all wrong and do so. I'd like to see photos of the Kirkland Blue Boy 4000 if you have it.
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

vincent_gallo wrote: Or will you ... have my words removed?
I've never done such a thing, where'd you get that from? :?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

vincent_gallo wrote:Kevin Teeder has posted 5,989 times in 16 years. Jeffrey Scott 36,172 times in 17 years. Frankly I am concerned neither is living a fulfilling life? I take issue with both of their motivated views of what I say. Anything I say they disagree with. They seem insecure around me or jealous ? When Kevin brushes off (and is allowed to brush off) everything I have ever said as useless or negative, he simply means he either disagreed with my views or they challenged his or he doesn't like me. And so everything I say rubs him the wrong way and he wants it erased now. He is intolerant and has already had my honest and straightforward words removed from this page many times. Kevin and Jeff both seem prejudice of anything I say or do. Jeffrey Scott is always willing and ready to join in on any conversation negative towards me

In any case my point was I own over 90 original Rickenbacker basses from 1st production thru 1970. I have handled them more than everyone on this site put together. I could offer great insight photos details and stories. However, the loudest most frequent voices here shut down anything that makes them insecure, or disrupts their soapbox or sales pitches. Especially if it is outside their expertise or budget. It is disappointing as I am sure many here would enjoy the information.

Instead many other curious members miss out on anything not controlled by the few folks who literally have posted multiple times a days for 17 years and who with that form little clicks to control free speech here. They literally
shut down discourse to the point where a thread will get removed or often just my words. Yet their blatant negative insults will remain intact. Is that fair or good for conversation or productive. Folks like Jeffrey and Kevin reflect todays intolerant world and unless you agree with their status quo pedestrian views or kiss their rings they will bark you down. I mean Jeffrey you spoke 36,172 times already, can someone else get a word in without your reaction and control?

Or will you cry again and have my words removed?
Vincent, it is wonderful that you have such an extensive collection of period Rickenbacker basses. I look forward to your insight, photos, details and stories. There is much to learn from one another.

As we post our thoughts here, perhaps a positive focus on the instruments without judgement of one another is a more productive and engaging way to go forward. So please let our Rickenbacker passion proceed without the heat.

Life is short and there is so very much to learn about these fine basses. In the end, any decisions to remove information here are mine.

The forests would be silent if they were inhabited only by those birds that sang best. We all have valuable things to say whether we have one post or thousands. A respect for one another is what lights the morning star. Let's reset the counter and move on from here.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
opticnerve
Advanced Member

Post by opticnerve »

"Too bad everything I say offends Pete or Paul or Jeffrey or Tony or Rich or Kevin. So better I let you guys sort it out"

??? I've actually stuck up for you in the past.
teeder

Post by teeder »

My apologies, Vincent. You're correct, it's all me.

Now let's hear what you have to say about this awesome piece of bass history.
I have read that it's been shaved down through the years to a much thinner thickness than other basses. Is that true?

(Sorry for adding on to my post count, Peter)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

teeder wrote:My apologies, Vincent. You're correct, it's all me.

Now let's hear what you have to say about this awesome piece of bass history.
I have read that it's been shaved down through the years to a much thinner thickness than other basses. Is that true?

(Sorry for adding on to my post count, Peter)
Kevin, it's getting better all the time. Your comments here are appreciated. I look forward to your posts.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”