Chris Squires RM DC172

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

pag
Intermediate Member

Re: Chris Squires RM DC172

Post by pag »

It looks like a reissue pick up to me.The poles are flat and may be painted but even my CS pole pieces look very dark.
Attachments
0BCC0766-47CF-490E-9956-8199AAD3F021.jpeg
clasbas

Post by clasbas »

pag wrote:It looks like a reissue pick up to me.The poles are flat and may be painted but even my CS pole pieces look very dark.
+1 on reissue (from my limited experience)
-------------
Bands: 2
Bass: -64 and -67
Amp: Sunn 300T and Model T prototype
-------------
opticnerve
Advanced Member

Post by opticnerve »

8mileshigher wrote:
jps wrote:
opticnerve wrote:My guess is it's not a Ric pu.
You do realize, this may cause major consternation among the Chris Squire tone fans? :mrgreen:
O-M-G ! ! Jeff & Tony That would be the shock of the century :shock: :( Say it ain't so ! !
Haha! Yeh Pete, peoples worlds would come crashing down!
pag
Intermediate Member

Post by pag »

This must be why my CS...sounds like CS!
thx1955
Veteran RRF member

Post by thx1955 »

jps wrote:
thx1955 wrote:Missed the quote ....

+1
Speaking of quotes, In reading your sig line I think you missed an opportunity here.
He's dead, Jim............" - Bones
My quote is indeed a parody of that very famous line.
"It's Red Jim, but not as we know it...."
pag
Intermediate Member

Post by pag »

Heres DC172 HS pup photo zoomed in from another angle. No doubt that its a modern bobbin!
Attachments
3240DF22-FABB-4D25-BE80-0DB300DBA6DE.jpeg
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Next, we're going to find out the toaster pickup is actually one of those Chinese fakes............ :mrgreen:
thx1955
Veteran RRF member

Post by thx1955 »

jps wrote:Next, we're going to find out the toaster pickup is actually one of those Chinese fakes............ :mrgreen:
Or a reworked Precision !
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

I hate to be Mr. Obvious here,, but why doesn't someone contact Brindleys Music and ask?
"Knowledge is Power"
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

If I recall when I asked Chris about it, he said the original horse shoe was replaced in the late 70's.
I can confirm the refinish in the 90's.

He tended to play live with the reissue, but the '63 was right there on tour still.
I think he had a couple reissues made for him (including the fish graphic version), but when I got to meet him he only had the 2 on tour.

Another interesting factoid about the Squire tone, the use of a Marshall 4x12 underneath the stage facing right up at the feet of Anderson, mic'd and cranked.

Dirk
pag
Intermediate Member

Post by pag »

I would love to have a look under the hood!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Dirk wrote:He tended to play live with the reissue, but the '63 was right there on tour still.
Interesting. The last couple of times I saw him he had the RI on his rack but always use the RM.
pag
Intermediate Member

Post by pag »

I dont recall seeing Chris onstage playing his CS. There was some rehearsal footage/photos of him with the CS but Ive never seen any photos of him using the CS with Yes.
In 1992 during the interval at Birmingham NEC I spoke to Richard about my CS,showed him photos of Chris posing with it and he showed me under the stage to see Chris’s CS which was there as an emergency back up.
thx1955
Veteran RRF member

Post by thx1955 »

Chris Squire's stage Rig, from the Premier Guitar "Rig Rundown" series, this clip was made during the 2013 tour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsGjl6k ... 21&t=1040s

The shot at 0:42 clearly shows the same worn horseshoe and, at 3:07 Chris says "this is the same back pickup" and the host reiterates "this is the same pickup all this time"

That said I doubt very highly that in the intervening 6-7 years the bobbin was swapped out, but; who knows ?

At 10:16 Chris show off the "Fish out of Water" v63 and comments "it sounds nothing like it" (his original)
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

I saw YES in Dayton, Ohio on May 4th 1991 during the Union tour.

I had great seats, and when they came on stage, Chris opened with a CS reissue bass, I could clearly see his name on the pickguard, as a matter of fact, I pointed it out to a friend I brought to the show. It was switched out after the first song. The only time I've seen him play the CS.

I recall reading that somewhere in time, his bass was at Rickenbacker for repairs, and it was mentioned that his horseshoe was completely disconnected, and had been for quite some time. Perhaps it could have been switched out with an early reissue then?

In any case, was the horseshoe really the important factor in Chris's tone? I mean lets face it, the guy could play a 2x4 with shoestrings and still sound like Chris Squire.
"Knowledge is Power"

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”