Replacement for Grover Tuner

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

soundcity5150

Replacement for Grover Tuner

Post by soundcity5150 »

Hi experts,

I own a 4001 from 73´ that have Grover tuners.
One of them I have to glue because it fell apart.Maybe it´s not a problem.

And the other one it´s so worn out that the Rick make buzzing noise when hit a string.
So it´s unplayable now.

Question : What can I do now ?
Is it possible to repair this buzzing candidate ?

The other question is : If I´d decide to buy spare part tuners,which should I take or which would fit ?

It´s clear to me that I must have to drill then new holes, but what else do I have to choose?

Greetings Michael
radapaw

Re: Replacement for Grover Tuner

Post by radapaw »

have a look at this, viewtopic.php?f=2&t=414610&p=854586&hil ... ad#p854586 . At 300 bucks or so for an old set and no modern replacement available with the same footprint, this is probably the best option.

I've got a 74 azure that had it's wavy grovers swapped out with some ****** import tuners long before I got it. The replacements fit the old holes but don't hold tuning very well, I've been flipfloping if I should give up on holding out for a reasonably priced set or just put on a set of 70's klusons I have.... but holes....
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

Or you could fix them yourself?

I'm pretty sure a search here would turn up all kinds of helpful advice. Just look for exploding grover tuners.

It does take a good quality punch to mushroom out the posts.

I suppose you could drill them out and tap them and use the screw to hold them together.

Glue isn't a good permanent solution and will cause problem for the next person who tries to repair them properly.

Last option just replace with new tuners and live with the extra holes, which can be filled if you're adventurous.

In any case good luck,
Dirk
soundcity5150

Post by soundcity5150 »

Thank you for your answers, friends
We were able to successfully repair the grovers.
However, we glued them with metal glue.
It lasts wonderfully.

I would like to keep the Rick because I ever wanted one that have my year of birth :wink: .
ram

Post by ram »

There were several threads about this in this forum. Folks were countersinnking the housing and putting small screws and nuts in there...
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I seem to recall the word "swage" or "re-swage" in those old threads where we used to talk a lot about it. Try that in your search.
ram

Post by ram »

There may have been some threads in Paul W's page in this forum.
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

Yes swage was the term. Basically you mushroom the ends of the pins by pounding on them with a properly sized punch.
It works great, you need to pound the 4 pins on the side so the cap slides on easily. Then you pound the top of the pins
until they hold the casing like new.

Ooops just noticed the OP used metal glue, the previous owner did that on my '69, it didn't hold long term.

Good luck,
Dirk
chefothefuture
Advanced Member

Post by chefothefuture »

Re-swaging sometimes is short term. Grover made the stakes too short so they don't hold the flare well. This is more so if done more than once since you're dealing with metal fatigue.
The best solution is to drill out the stakes with a #50 (#51?) drill, tap the holes to 2/56, countersink the holes on the base plates(making sure the countersink angle matches the screws), removing what remains of the stakes if you haven't yet, and re-assemble.
Or better yet, send the tuners to one of our resident gurus and have them do it.
Either way for a vintage instrument it's certainly preferable to restore the originals and once "bomb proofed" you don't have to worry. They're nice tuners when working properly.
I did have a 74 that someone put M4s on, but I don't remember if the holes were reamed oversize.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”