Bass mutes

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Elfael

Bass mutes

Post by Elfael »

Does anyone still use them to get that double bass sound?
ilan
RRF Consultant

Re: Bass mutes

Post by ilan »

You can use the mute pad to get that clicky 60s Carol Kaye-type sounds, which are awesome by the way and I hope one day will be trendy again, but as an upright player I never understood why people associate a muted electric bass with upright tone. It sounds nothing like it to me.

Rics are tricky because it's a lot of trouble raising the mute, not a switch/lever like on Gretsch, Gibson, or Fender VI, and you can't palm-mute because of that rib-cage. I don't know many players who want to play with the mute without the option to disengage it quickly mid-song.
"A Noble Instrument Must Be Nobly Regarded"
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

I find the palm muting technique much more flexible. Seems to me a clever person would be able to come up with a way to throw off the mute.

The reason I believe people think a muted bass sounds like an upright is all about the sustain.
Throw flats on it and roll back the tone and you're getting very close to upright territory, oh yeah fretless of course really helps with the illusion.

Dirk
ilan
RRF Consultant

Post by ilan »

Dirk wrote:roll back the tone and you're getting very close to upright territory
That's what I don't get. Listen to a solo'ed upright, tons of high end, not even vaguely similar to a muted bass guitar with the tone rolled off. This is Christian McBride, killer tone, unamplified.

Last edited by ilan on Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
ram

Post by ram »

Some kind of preset dampening with a little cam leaver engagement would be cool. I do recall seeing pictures from the 60s with folks sliding rags or bits of foam rubber between the string and body on all makes of basses. Personally, I find left AND right hand damping works for me (I play with a pick mostly) even with the HS hardware. I am in agreement with Dirk about the upright mimicry as well.
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

The Rickenbacker mute is useful if you're playing vintage salsa music and trying to achieve a sound similar to an Ampeg Baby Bass. It's also good for getting that Willie Dixon thing playing R&B and blues. Nice and thumpy if you dig in, soft and pillowy with a lighter touch. Obviously you're not going to be flipping back and forth between sounds. It seems to be more useful on the fretted Ricks than fretless.
Last edited by Kiddwad57 on Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't let democracy end democracy.
ilan
RRF Consultant

Post by ilan »

For pick playing, an over-string mute sounds better for some reason. I learned this from Carol Kaye. So either a fixed Fender style mute (a foam strip under the bridge cover), or palm-muting. For fingerstyle under-string mute works equally well.
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

I wonder if that’s because of the pressure of the mute forcing the string into the bridge rather than away from it?
Don't let democracy end democracy.
thx1955
Veteran RRF member

Post by thx1955 »

ilan wrote:A Fender style mute (a foam strip under the bridge cover), or palm-muting. For fingerstyle under-string mute works equally well.
+1 on that

Using a pick I've always rested the heel of my palm on the rear cover (I always leave them on) and to mute I just move forward slightly muting and pivoting off the strings themselves

If you look at the wear pattern on Chris Squire's rear horseshoe you see a very predominant wear pattern from similar use.

https://www.facebook.com/brindleysmusic ... =3&theater

Sincere apologies for the Facebook link, the shots are from Brindley's Bass in Arizona, that used the Facebook link, and no, I've not joined Facebook
"It's Red Jim, but not as we know it...."
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

thx1955 wrote:
ilan wrote:A Fender style mute (a foam strip under the bridge cover), or palm-muting. For fingerstyle under-string mute works equally well.
+1 on that

Using a pick I've always rested the heel of my palm on the rear cover (I always leave them on) and to mute I just move forward slightly muting and pivoting off the strings themselves

If you look at the wear pattern on Chris Squire's rear horseshoe you see a very predominant wear pattern from similar use.

https://www.facebook.com/brindleysmusic ... =3&theater

Sincere apologies for the Facebook link, the shots are from Brindley's Bass in Arizona, that used the Facebook link, and no, I've not joined Facebook
RM1999 '64 Cream-Chris Squire 110-1200.jpg
thx1955
Veteran RRF member

Post by thx1955 »

Thanks Jeffrey ... picture is worth a thousand characters
"It's Red Jim, but not as we know it...."

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”