History of the 2-piece pickguard

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

espidog

History of the 2-piece pickguard

Post by espidog »

This is another of my "idle curiosity" questions. :wink:

I've always rather liked the 2-piece pickguard that I've seen on a few older versions of the 4003 (possibly 4001 too? I don't know...):

To me, it seems an eminently sensible bit of design, as it enables you to do soldering work, replace pots etc. without having to slacken off the strings and carefully drag the entire neck pup/pickguard assembly off the bass. I have a 2004 4003 Jetglo with the standard 1-piece guard, and occasionally I've flirted with the idea of changing it for a 2-piece, cos I'm annoying like that. Awww hell, I also think they just look cool. :mrgreen:

I'm curious to know the history of the 2-piece. When was it introduced, and for how long was it offered? Was it standard issue on all the basses for a period, or was it just available as an option for custom builds or somesuch? If anybody knows, please do tell.
2004 4003 JetGlo
Epiphone Jack Casady
Ovation Magnum 1
Mania VTB-4BS
Dean Stylist w/ John Birch Magnum II pups
Yamaha BB414
Trace Elliot VA350/GP11 Mk1
Peavey TB-Raxx
2 BFM Omni 10.5 crossfire cabs
Roland Bass Cube 100
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Re: History of the 2-piece pickguard

Post by sloop_john_b »

When the 4003 debuted in 1980, the two-piece pickguard was standard (and one of the features that set it apart from its predecessor, the 4001). It lasted until 1986.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

It wasn't done to make work on the electronics easier, but rather, to make it easier to adjust the truss rods. The early 4003 basses had the truss rods reversed with the adjustment at the body end...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
espidog

Post by espidog »

Thanks, guys. :)

Well I never... So ease of access to the control cavity was an unintended bonus. I'd never have guessed the real reason!
2004 4003 JetGlo
Epiphone Jack Casady
Ovation Magnum 1
Mania VTB-4BS
Yamaha BB414
Peavey TB-Raxx
Roland Bass Cube 100
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Just to give a bit more context to the reason for the 2-piece pickguards, here are some pictures of my '84 4003 showing the reversed truss rods. As you can see, there's no way to adjust them from the headstock end...
84_4003_rod_ends.jpg
DSCN9700s.JPG
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

You don't have to loosen the strings to remove a one piece guard. Just slide your hand under the strings toward the front of the guard, lift the strings, and slide the assembly out and off.
maxwell

Post by maxwell »

As a non-bass owner/player outsider butting in here, that isthmus /most narrow portion of a one-piece guard would seem to be awfully fragile. I'm thinking that RIC maybe moved to the 2-piece to side-step breakage.
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

My '81 4003 looks like CJJ's '84, however my body wood doesn't look as nicely figured as CJJ's, that has a gorgeous flame to it.
CJJ, It does look like the metal plates that hold the neck are not seating correctly? Those should be flush, at least they are on mine now.

And absolutely the 2 piece is for rod adjustment. And yes indeed you can't adjust at the headstock end.

If you've ever tried to adjust a Fender bass, the 2 piece becomes a really obvious advantage.

Dirk
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

maxwell wrote:As a non-bass owner/player outsider butting in here, that isthmus /most narrow portion of a one-piece guard would seem to be awfully fragile. I'm thinking that RIC maybe moved to the 2-piece to side-step breakage.
FWIW, none of my one-piece Ric pickguards have ever broken there.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Dirk wrote:My '81 4003 looks like CJJ's '84, however my body wood doesn't look as nicely figured as CJJ's, that has a gorgeous flame to it.
CJJ, It does look like the metal plates that hold the neck are not seating correctly? Those should be flush, at least they are on mine now.
Yes, the truss rods are a bit uneven, that's how it was when I got it. I've never had to adjust the neck so I've never messed with them.
And yeah, this one has got just a bit of flame, all the way through...
4003_body.jpg
4003flame_body_back2.jpg
espidog

Post by espidog »

That is a lovely piece of wood, CJ. 8)
2004 4003 JetGlo
Epiphone Jack Casady
Ovation Magnum 1
Mania VTB-4BS
Yamaha BB414
Peavey TB-Raxx
Roland Bass Cube 100
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

Holy cow, thanks for showing the whole thing CJJ, yowza that is fantastic. That's just over the top figuring, nice.
MG bling at it's finest!

If it's holding and not causing problems, no need to mess with it.

It would just be a matter of loosening both rods, reseating the metal plates, then tightening the rods.
To me it would perhaps help sustain to have them be where they should be. It also looks like the ends of the rods are doing the typical ends bending down. Those can easily be rebent if needed, but I bet just reseating the plates will solve that issue as well.

Dirk

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”