Is The Finish Lifting/Cracking Problem By The Bridge Fixed?

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

iriane

Is The Finish Lifting/Cracking Problem By The Bridge Fixed?

Post by iriane »

Hello again.

I haven't bought a new Rickenbacker since 2012 or 2013, and basically stopped because I kept getting faulty basses where the finish was lifting at the bridge. I've had three black ones, two sunburst, and a special edition crack at the bridge all from the early 2010's. The special edition was repainted by the factory and even after they ground down the bottom of the bridge it still cracked again. I also have a sea green COY 4003 that eventually lifted at the bridge, and that was the old conversion varnish.

I've seen some new RIckenbackers hanging at Guitar Center in the last couple of years (but none in 2019 or 2020) with the same paint cracking at the bridge.

I swore off ever buying any new Ricks unless something really caught my eye. Well, that time has come. The limited Montezuma Amber did just that. Now, I want one.

But, is the finish lifting/cracking at the bridge still an issue? Please be honest. I don't want to spend one cent if yet another bass is going to have this finish issue.

Thank you!
iriane

Re: Is The Finish Lifting/Cracking Problem By The Bridge Fix

Post by iriane »

Nobody?
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Patience, my friend. This isn't Facebook, and realistically, people just don't frequent the forum like they used to...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

If the finish is cracking, something has moved the bridge causing it.
Perhaps the bridge was not properly attached?

Bridge lift used to be problem with 4001's so I thought, has this problem resurfaced for modern 4003's?

My '81 4003 has not had the lift issue, since it has screws through the back of the bridge. It's my understanding
the lift issues ended in the 80's with the retiring of the 4001.

If it's brand new, there's no excuse for that, send it back immediately to where you got it.
Sorry I'm a vintage guy, so I have no experience with modern Ricks.

Good luck,
Dirk
teeder

Post by teeder »

I don't think this issue has anything to do with the bridge lifting, IMO.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

iriane wrote:Hello again.

I haven't bought a new Rickenbacker since 2012 or 2013, and basically stopped because I kept getting faulty basses where the finish was lifting at the bridge. I've had three black ones, two sunburst, and a special edition crack at the bridge all from the early 2010's. The special edition was repainted by the factory and even after they ground down the bottom of the bridge it still cracked again. I also have a sea green COY 4003 that eventually lifted at the bridge, and that was the old conversion varnish.

I've seen some new RIckenbackers hanging at Guitar Center in the last couple of years (but none in 2019 or 2020) with the same paint cracking at the bridge.

I swore off ever buying any new Ricks unless something really caught my eye. Well, that time has come. The limited Montezuma Amber did just that. Now, I want one.

But, is the finish lifting/cracking at the bridge still an issue? Please be honest. I don't want to spend one cent if yet another bass is going to have this finish issue.

Thank you!
Do you have some good photos?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
iriane

Post by iriane »

Of what???

The new Montezuma Amberglo or the problems I've had with the paint cracking at the bridge?

If it's the latter, I'm not going to post those because I don't want have the thread closed or have the pics removed as has happened in the past.
henry5
Advanced Member

Post by henry5 »

For those who don’t know, it was a pretty common problem. I’ve seen it on a few newer basses. There’s a thread on here somewhere about it.
Is it still a problem? No idea, sorry; haven’t played a new Ric for a while.
thx1955
Veteran RRF member

Post by thx1955 »

Looking over my collection spanning 5 Decades of production from July-72 through June 2019 the ONLY one that has any issues with Paint at the Bridge is my Chris Squire, the others are all fine, now, I'm happy to admit that I may just have been lucky, the Al Cisneros doesn't count as it's not stained, the others are, as follows:
1970's 3 Fireglo
1980's 1 Mapleglo
1990's 3 Red, Cream, Jetglo
2000's 3 DC Mettalic, Fireglo, Jetglo,
2010's 1 Fireglo <== This was a brand new in 2015 a new 4003-S
As I did not own the Chris Squire from new I can't testify if it came the way, it may have been caused aftermarket by removal and reseating the bridge by a previous owner.
"It's Red Jim, but not as we know it...."
iriane

Post by iriane »

Besides my NOS COY SeaGreen 4003 bridge finish cracking/lifting (which truly surprises me since it was made before the cracking became a widespread issue and it's never had an entire song played on it), I have a 1986 V63 that the clear is separating around the bridge. But, that bass is well played, worn, played on hundreds of gigs. I expect it on that bass, not on a NOS case queen that literally is absolutely like new.
henry5
Advanced Member

Post by henry5 »

It was on one of the new BRGs I played a couple of years back, a £3k bass. When I pointed it out to the dealer they just shrugged and laughed it off.
thx1955
Veteran RRF member

Post by thx1955 »

henry5 wrote:It was on one of the new BRGs I played a couple of years back, a £3k bass. When I pointed it out to the dealer they just shrugged and laughed it off.
Ouch ... not acceptable.
"It's Red Jim, but not as we know it...."
Colonel Sanders
Intermediate Member

Post by Colonel Sanders »

iriane wrote:Hello again.

Thank you!
My 1973 Jetglow 4001 has plenty of chips and dings.
1973 4001 Jetglo
2023 4003 Mapleglo
2022 4005XC Jetglo
1979 MusicMan Stingray
2021 Epiphone Thunderbird
2020 Fender P-Bass American Original 60s
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

2016 fg 4003 no issues so far

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”