Question About The New Bridge; Does It Sit Closer The Neck?

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

iriane

Question About The New Bridge; Does It Sit Closer The Neck?

Post by iriane »

Hi everyone.

I was looking at these pics:

Image Image

It looks to me that the new bridge mounts about 1/4" closer to the neck than the old bridge. The old bridge seemed to be much closer to the bottom of the bass.

If anyone owns a bass with the new bridge, can you verify that the bridge has moved closer to the neck?

A good way to check this would be to measure the distance from the edge of the tailpiece to the edge of the horseshoe surround.

Thanks!
blueflamerick
Advanced Member

Re: Question About The New Bridge; Does It Sit Closer The Ne

Post by blueflamerick »

It's definitely closer. Measuring from the end of the fretboard to the bridge is about 8 3/4" with the older bridge, 8 5/8" with the new one.
espidog

Post by espidog »

No doubt in order to allow for a greater range of adjustment now the old "rocking bridge piece" has gone.

I wonder whether it will sit this far forward when retro-fitted to an older bass. Probably not. I'm sure it'll still work, though.

BTW, that is one GORGEOUS colour - what's it called? 8)
2004 4003 JetGlo
Epiphone Jack Casady
Ovation Magnum 1
Mania VTB-4BS
Dean Stylist w/ John Birch Magnum II pups
Yamaha BB414
Trace Elliot VA350/GP11 Mk1
Peavey TB-Raxx
2 BFM Omni 10.5 crossfire cabs
Roland Bass Cube 100
iriane

Post by iriane »

That's what I was afraid of.

I am old school, from an era when we weren't afraid to modify any instrument.

I frequently route for a jazz pickup between the bridge and the Rickenbacker bridge pickup. On basses with the old bridge, there is plenty of room. With the new bridge, it doesn't look like there is enough room anymore for the jazz pickup to be fitted without looking too bunched-up.

:(

Also I find the casting under the saddles to be very poorly done; surprisingly they aren't finished smoothly there.
iriane

Post by iriane »

blueflamerick wrote:It's definitely closer. Measuring from the end of the fretboard to the bridge is about 8 3/4" with the older bridge, 8 5/8" with the new one.
Did you measure that on an actual bass?

Thanks!
blueflamerick
Advanced Member

Post by blueflamerick »

iriane wrote: Did you measure that on an actual bass?

Thanks!
Yes. I keep the treble pickup covers on, so they were kind of in the way. I measured a new 2020 4003S with the new style bridge, and 2 older 4003 models and a 4001.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Several years ago RIC moved the body wings back because someone apparently needed better access to the 20th fret, so as a result the tailpiece was moved forward from the rear edge of the bass to compensate. RIC should just add 21st feet at this point. If the guard were any closer to the lower cutaway, it would overhang the front of the bass. This design change also weakened the neck blank where it transitions to the body.
iriane

Post by iriane »

I was going to buy one of those purple basses, but I'm damn glad they are sold out. I would have been ****** as hell when THAT beautiful finish lifted at the bridge. There was no way I was going to risk it but I was tempted. I'm so glad they are gone. :)
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

First wow, candy apple purple with checkerboard, boing! That is awesome looking.

It should be easy to measure, start at the 12th fret on the new one and measure to the front of the bridge.
I wouldn't trust the end of the fingerboard, the 12th will give you half the scale length.

Do exactly the same on an older Rick and there's your answer.

Dirk
espidog

Post by espidog »

Dirk wrote:First wow, candy apple purple with checkerboard, boing! That is awesome looking.

It should be easy to measure, start at the 12th fret on the new one and measure to the front of the bridge.
I wouldn't trust the end of the fingerboard, the 12th will give you half the scale length.

Do exactly the same on an older Rick and there's your answer.

Dirk
If it's any help, I've just measured that distance on my late-2004 4003. The result is 15½ inches (394mm)
2004 4003 JetGlo
Epiphone Jack Casady
Ovation Magnum 1
Mania VTB-4BS
Dean Stylist w/ John Birch Magnum II pups
Yamaha BB414
Trace Elliot VA350/GP11 Mk1
Peavey TB-Raxx
2 BFM Omni 10.5 crossfire cabs
Roland Bass Cube 100
bluewhale

Post by bluewhale »

aceonbass wrote:Several years ago RIC moved the body wings back because someone apparently needed better access to the 20th fret, so as a result the tailpiece was moved forward from the rear edge of the bass to compensate...
When was this done? Roughly?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

20th fret access was quite easy on the 4005.
4005WB Body-Neck Joint 01.jpg
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

I just measured the scale length on my 4003AC that has the new bridge that is closer to the neck. The G string scale length is 33'' and the E string scale length is 33.5'', so it averages out to 33.25'' (on spec).
bluewhale

Post by bluewhale »

blueflamerick wrote:It's definitely closer. Measuring from the end of the fretboard to the bridge is about 8 3/4" with the older bridge, 8 5/8" with the new one.
As a follow-up, would you be willing to measure the distance between the apex of the saddle for the G string (new bridge) and the end of the body? I don't own a 4003, but even that looks different to me in pics.

Using a yardstick, here's what I get for two of my basses, in inches:

1978 4001: 2 7/8
2011 4004 C64: 3 1/8

I am contemplating putting one of the new bridges on the 4001 C64 to remedy tail lift.

Thanks,
bluewhale

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”