I've been seeing this in my mind for years....

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

teb
Advanced Member

Re: I've been seeing this in my mind for years....

Post by teb »

Usually, if something bugs me, I just ditch the body and build a new one, or start cutting the horns off and reshaping and refinishing it.
Attachments
2030-3.jpg
430-rebuild.jpg
red-430.jpg
iriane

Post by iriane »

jps wrote:
iriane wrote:I like how you weren't afraid to drill a new hole for the bigger pickguard. Looks very well done. I don't care for the thumbrest, but I understand why you have it there. Why didn't you go all the way with a horseshoe surround? You were almost there (not that it doesn't look great as it is); it just seems that after doing all that to have it look old-school, you would have gone that extra step.
You didn't mention that I routed the body to put the toaster in the vintage location on the JG 4003. :wink: :lol:

The finger rest is for obvious reasons.

On my old 4001V63, I did not drill new holes for the new pickguard, but I did do so for the mid '60s TRC I had on it for a while (it lives on my 4004L SPC now, no new holes were required).

I did have a mid '60s horseshoe surround for a while that I (drilled new holes for) installed on my 4003FL, along with same as above regarding re-positioning the toaster (note the toaster in the bridge location, too). I drilled new pickguard screws for that bass, also.

The Hipshot bridge was installed to allow for more rearward adjustment on that bass for better intonation (yes, I do intonate my fretless basses).

As to why I didn't install the vintage HS PU surround in the JG 4003, I was thinking about 1968. :wink:
I love the fact that you aren't afraid to mod your basses. Although I do think it always looks better to have the pickguard screws in the right spots on the pickguard. Who cares if there's an extra tiny hole where no one will ever see? Well, in this day and age alot of people, but back in the day no one batted an eye.

I remember seeing this bass years ago online:

I ALWAYS loved the way the toaster looks in the bridge pickup surround. It just looks "right" like that. I've always wanted to do that to some of mine, but I don't think Rickenbacker will allow you to buy just the chrome toaster surround anymore to mod the hi-gain pickups. But, I may be wrong.

I remember also seeing that bass online with the stock bridge and pickup surround years and years ago:

But, when I saw it again with the Hipshot, I liked that too. It's the first time I actually liked the way the Hipshot looked on a Rick. Definitely works on that fretless; I think it's the extra chrome and lines of the toaster that draw attention from the fact that the bridge isn't original. And, no finish lifting is always a plus!

BTW...where did you get the new bridge pickup surround?
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Although I can understand how the 'pearl' pick guard material is associated with Fender, I don't finder it "un-Rickenbacker-ish".
Original image copyright RIC.  Used for educational purposes only.
Original image copyright RIC. Used for educational purposes only.
Original image copyright RIC.  Used for educational purposes only.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

teb wrote:Usually, if something bugs me, I just ditch the body and build a new one, or start cutting the horns off and reshaping and refinishing it.
I just love your work, Teb! :)
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
radapaw

Post by radapaw »

I love that 'this is wrong' feeling you can only get when router and rickenbacker meet. Nice work folks!
espidog

Post by espidog »

FOR SALE

Five guitars (various).
Some heat-warping and salt corrosion. Slight tidemarks.
Otherwise, showroom condition!

Apply, Santa Ana CA

:wink:
2004 4003 JetGlo
Epiphone Jack Casady
Ovation Magnum 1
Mania VTB-4BS
Dean Stylist w/ John Birch Magnum II pups
Yamaha BB414
Trace Elliot VA350/GP11 Mk1
Peavey TB-Raxx
2 BFM Omni 10.5 crossfire cabs
Roland Bass Cube 100
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

iriane wrote:...where did you get the new bridge pickup surround?
I'm not certain what you are referring to with "the new bridge pickup surround". If you mean the surround with the "tail", that is a real, vintage mid 1960s surround. I bought it on ebay in 2005.
anoukane
Intermediate Member

Post by anoukane »

Nice catch then. Would love to score one some day.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”