Anyone know about the 2020 new single truss rod?

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Ratwax

Anyone know about the 2020 new single truss rod?

Post by Ratwax »

Hi folks, just taking a browse over the Andy Babiuk page for the new Candy Apple Purple 4003 and it says it comes with "Rickenbacker’s new single coarse-thread two-way truss rod for easy up-bow and back-bow adjustment". This is in addition to the V2 bridge.
See https://www.andybabiuksfabgear.com/rick ... le-purple/
Is this a one-off or a new thing? Any idea or thoughts anyone?
I've uploaded a pic from the site.
Attachments
Single truss rod pic.
Single truss rod pic.
Andrew

1989 620/12,
2003 4003
1986 330
1991 381 V69
1998 650 Dakota
Plus various Squiers and stuff
bassduke49

Re: Anyone know about the 2020 new single truss rod?

Post by bassduke49 »

Don't know the specifics, but it appears it was introduced in the 4003AC (Al Cisneros) model last year. May not be on every one built recently, but it appears that it will be the standard.
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
radapaw

Post by radapaw »

I asked this a while back, and there was no official word from ric about changing to single rod. I think we've only seen single rod on the AC and recent SPC's... so only 'by request' so far. very curious if this will be the new normal for the 4003.
espidog

Post by espidog »

The new (and utterly gorgeous!) limited edition Candy Apple Purple model for Andy's Fab Gear appears to have a single truss rod too (scroll down to the photo gallery):

https://www.andybabiuksfabgear.com/rick ... le-purple/
2004 4003 JetGlo
Epiphone Jack Casady
Ovation Magnum 1
Mania VTB-4BS
Dean Stylist w/ John Birch Magnum II pups
Yamaha BB414
Trace Elliot VA350/GP11 Mk1
Peavey TB-Raxx
2 BFM Omni 10.5 crossfire cabs
Roland Bass Cube 100
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

Really? On the 4003 too?
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

Really adore my 4003AC. Haven't had to play with this truss rod yet because it came with a flat neck and perfect setup. (Wildwood was the dealer, they may have set it up before shipping out, or it could be factory.) I scrutinize my bass setups very rigorously and the only thing I messed with on the AC is the side-to-side positions of the roller saddles so they would be centered.

From what I can tell, it's a really good truss rod. If it became the standard, I would be happy.
radapaw

Post by radapaw »

well I know of at least one AC rod that has busted in under a year. Old hairpins have downsides, but I love that they can be removed, rethreaded, retensioned and reinstalled with the bass intact, 40 some years after they were installed. good trick.

Also fwiw, the 2 new custom colour Sam ash basses are double rod. I do wonder if rickenbacker plans on moving forward with single rods beyond 4002'ish things and special orders
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

radapaw wrote:well I know of at least one AC rod that has busted in under a year.
What's the story there?

I just adjusted mine for the first time today - adding some relief since I put lighter tension Chromes on. Quick and easy.
radapaw

Post by radapaw »

cassius987 wrote:
radapaw wrote:well I know of at least one AC rod that has busted in under a year.
What's the story there?

I just adjusted mine for the first time today - adding some relief since I put lighter tension Chromes on. Quick and easy.

there was one on ebay with a broken rod, that's all I got. hopefully it was just one bum weld or user error.

Also exciting to get an official 'maybe' out of Ben in the samash thread :lol:
RIC_FACTORY
RIC

Post by RIC_FACTORY »

It's on the radar. Need a better sample size before anything is for sure though.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

I'll keep y'all updated on mine but so far I've done three small tweaks (less than 1/8 turn each) to it to dial the relief in for the Chromes and it is easy to work with. I am not trying to move mountains, though. I am really impressed with how low the action got without buzzing (probably speaks to good fret and fingerboard work), due to the decreased tension of the strings. I would approach 5/64'' action on the low E with caution but I ended up going up to that amount from a bit less and the tone was already clean.
rictified

Post by rictified »

I hope they stick with the dual truss rods, but then again I still like the 4001 rods the best.
RIC_FACTORY
RIC

Post by RIC_FACTORY »

cassius987 wrote:I'll keep y'all updated on mine but so far I've done three small tweaks (less than 1/8 turn each) to it to dial the relief in for the Chromes and it is easy to work with. I am not trying to move mountains, though. I am really impressed with how low the action got without buzzing (probably speaks to good fret and fingerboard work), due to the decreased tension of the strings. I would approach 5/64'' action on the low E with caution but I ended up going up to that amount from a bit less and the tone was already clean.
Good to know... It should not take much force at all to turn it.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”