Left Handed Ric Basses, Non 4001(s)/4003(s)

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

ch willie

Left Handed Ric Basses, Non 4001(s)/4003(s)

Post by ch willie »

I've had my 4001 since 1978. It's always been my go to. I love the appts you can get on these basses, walnut bodies to reissues and such.

But I've seen few to none of other Ric lefty bass models. I'd be really interested to see pics of your non 4001/4003 basses.
All the world's a stage, albeit with mountains, plains, oceans, rivers, buildings, towers, animals, humans, plants, and Armour's Spam.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: Left Handed Ric Basses, Non 4001(s)/4003(s)

Post by jdogric12 »

There is a LH 4005/6 out there IIRC, google that shiz.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Would a 5-string lefty Blackstar count?
thisismusicinc

Post by thisismusicinc »

Here's what shows up in the register for lefty basses:

http://www.rickresource.com/register/in ... =2&order=1

Two 4005, one of them 6 strings. Three 4004s and 3001s.

Not much I'm afraid.
ch willie

Post by ch willie »

I was hoping some of the forum members might have 'em and share pics. I guess they're more rare than I thought.
All the world's a stage, albeit with mountains, plains, oceans, rivers, buildings, towers, animals, humans, plants, and Armour's Spam.
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

I included quite a few lefties in the book, but there are some I didn't include. We just recently witnessed a posting of a shot of Paul McCartney with his trusty 4001S and in the background is a lefty 3001. It was news to me on two fronts: Did not know that he had a 3001, and I had never seen a lefty 3001! In the second edition of my book, I included a shot of a lefty 4003SPC Tuxedo, possibly the only one, and a better shot of the (dare I say UNIQUE) lefty 4005/6!
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
ch willie

Post by ch willie »

bassduke49 wrote:I included quite a few lefties in the book, but there are some I didn't include. We just recently witnessed a posting of a shot of Paul McCartney with his trusty 4001S and in the background is a lefty 3001. It was news to me on two fronts: Did not know that he had a 3001, and I had never seen a lefty 3001! In the second edition of my book, I included a shot of a lefty 4003SPC Tuxedo, possibly the only one, and a better shot of the (dare I say UNIQUE) lefty 4005/6!

You just sold a book. I can't wait for Amazon to deliver. Looks fantastic.

I have never seen Macca with a 3001. I hope before it gets too late, somebody will publish a book of his instrument collection. Macca is not knowledgeable like Geddy is about models and technical aspects, but it'd be interesting to hear a bit of a tale of how and why he bought them--or got given them.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

ch willie wrote:
bassduke49 wrote:I included quite a few lefties in the book, but there are some I didn't include. We just recently witnessed a posting of a shot of Paul McCartney with his trusty 4001S and in the background is a lefty 3001. It was news to me on two fronts: Did not know that he had a 3001, and I had never seen a lefty 3001! In the second edition of my book, I included a shot of a lefty 4003SPC Tuxedo, possibly the only one, and a better shot of the (dare I say UNIQUE) lefty 4005/6!

You just sold a book. I can't wait for Amazon to deliver. Looks fantastic.

I have never seen Macca with a 3001. I hope before it gets too late, somebody will publish a book of his instrument collection. Macca is not knowledgeable like Geddy is about models and technical aspects, but it'd be interesting to hear a bit of a tale of how and why he bought them--or got given them.
From what I've read, McCartney prefers the Hofner mainly (or at least partly!) because of its weight. If that's true, I can't imagine him playing a 3001. Those things are HEAVY!
ram

Post by ram »

4004C is pretty light, but not Hofner light! I remember one story that indicated the 4004 was a pitch at McCartney. Don't know if it is true or not but a good story!
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
ch willie

Post by ch willie »

I don't blame Macca for preferring the Hofner now. I can't believe how light mine is. i'm nearly 60 and have shoulder problems. When I start gigging again, the Hofner is going to get most of the gigs.
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

I have three German Höfners, and each weighs less than five pounds. I like 'em too, but they are WAY different from Ricks: Short scale; narrow rounded neck; hollow body with much different tone; and they feel so fragile and toylike. Haven't "experienced" the Chinese Höfners, but I believe they are slightly heavier.
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
ch willie

Post by ch willie »

Yes, the Chinese ones have a big wooden block that gives little room for the "hollow" body. I had one of those. They still sound great. These Hofners are a lot more versatile than they're given credit for.

I love my German Hofner, but my favorite bass is my 4001. However, my shoulder problems make it impossible to gig with it. I do a lot of recording, and it gets a lot of playing time. I am likely to use the Hofner for a new song I'm working on. It's a classical music-inspired rock/pop tune with strings and horns. Putting foam at the bridge of the Hofner, I can get close to the pizzicato sounds of a plucked double bass). Sorry for tmi.

I really am looking forward to getting Paul Boyer's book. I've played my Ric since 1978 and it's been my favorite bass ever since, but I've never nerded out on Rics until recently. Getting a 330 spurred me on.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”