NBD Rickenbacker 4003 Satin AutumnGlo

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

jps
RRF Consultant

Re: NBD Rickenbacker 4003 Satin AutumnGlo

Post by jps »

bluewhale wrote:
thx1955 wrote:It's always worth the wait, I'm still waiting on a v68 or a re-issue 4005
I'm standing in both of those lines, too.
I made my own version of a V68, sort of, minus the CB purfling.
4003JPSVP_1200_7124a.jpg
thx1955
Veteran RRF member

Post by thx1955 »

jps wrote:
bluewhale wrote:
thx1955 wrote:It's always worth the wait, I'm still waiting on a v68 or a re-issue 4005
I'm standing in both of those lines, too.
I made my own version of a V68, sort of, minus the CB purfling.
4003JPSVP_1200_7124a.jpg
Very nice ..... am thinking of building my own version as well
"It's Red Jim, but not as we know it...."
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

thx1955 wrote: Very nice ..... am thinking of building my own version as well
Get your pickguard from Pickguardian. Do you have a magnetic horseshoe pickup, like there is on my old V68? I sold that bass several years ago to a forumite; he wanted the stock hi-gain pickups re-installed so I put the magnetic HS PU on my V63, and have the toaster in my parts drawer as a spare, if needed for another bass.
gregson62

Post by gregson62 »

My take on a 'v68 based on an '18 AMB using a Lollar Horseshoe and a vintage spec harness from Dane. I used a Pickguardian pickguard, but will someday get a custom one done with a more accurate vintage control layout and shape. I've made an earlier style treble pickup surround that I'll someday install, too.
IMG_1554a.jpg
I'd like to say that it was all done purely for aesthetics, but the change in pickups, pickup placement and electronics did result in a change in tone that I like.
thx1955
Veteran RRF member

Post by thx1955 »

jps wrote:
thx1955 wrote: Very nice ..... am thinking of building my own version as well
Get your pickguard from Pickguardian. Do you have a magnetic horseshoe pickup, like there is on my old V68? I sold that bass several years ago to a forumite; he wanted the stock hi-gain pickups re-installed so I put the magnetic HS PU on my V63, and have the toaster in my parts drawer as a spare, if needed for another bass.
Hi Jeffrey,
Yes I do, it was originally a 6-Bobbin, it's away getting re-built and re-magnetised, the body will be an April 1973 Fretless that had a Baddass bridge and new Hipshot tuners fitted, so it's already got a Toaster pickup, Dane has already built me a 70's period correct wiring harness.

It'll be going to Larry Davis around November and I'll be posting pics of Larry's work on it, it's not going to have Wavy Grovers, instead, a set of new Rickenbacker open back tuning machines.

I'll keep everyone posted on the work, and the various parts that are going into the build.

If you're open to it I'll contact you about the toaster, I may have a use for it on another project, I'll send a PM
"It's Red Jim, but not as we know it...."
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Looking forward to seeing the progress on your bass. But, I am hanging onto the toaster as a spare for one of my own basses.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

gregson62 wrote:My take on a 'v68 based on an '18 AMB using a Lollar Horseshoe and a vintage spec harness from Dane. I used a Pickguardian pickguard, but will someday get a custom one done with a more accurate vintage control layout and shape. I've made an earlier style treble pickup surround that I'll someday install, too.
IMG_1554a.jpg
I'd like to say that it was all done purely for aesthetics, but the change in pickups, pickup placement and electronics did result in a change in tone that I like.
That is beautiful, wow. Well done!
teeder

Post by teeder »

sloop_john_b wrote:
gregson62 wrote:My take on a 'v68 based on an '18 AMB using a Lollar Horseshoe and a vintage spec harness from Dane. I used a Pickguardian pickguard, but will someday get a custom one done with a more accurate vintage control layout and shape. I've made an earlier style treble pickup surround that I'll someday install, too.
IMG_1554a.jpg
That is beautiful, wow. Well done!
+1!
JFIG

Post by JFIG »

I have its black sibling (matte black), it looks gorgeous but the problem is precisely the finish, can anyone suggest me how to remove light pick scratches? It is not a big deal but it bothers me anyway, any advice will be extremely appreciated!

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”