Cracked neck binding

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

ikay

Cracked neck binding

Post by ikay »

Here's a pic of the cracks in the neck binding of the '91 (see previous post). Hard to tell if the binding itself is cracking or just the finish. A bit of both I think which concerns me. The cracking is mostly near the fret ends but also in a few places in between. Would appreciate any comments on how much of a problem this is likely to be. Is it something I should be concerned about or common on older Rics and not likely to get much worse? Thanks for any input.
Attachments
Ric 4003 1991 neck binding.jpg
anoukane
Intermediate Member

Re: Cracked neck binding

Post by anoukane »

Interesting. Subscribed.
I’m the seller :)
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

ikay wrote:Here's a pic of the cracks in the neck binding of the '91 (see previous post). Hard to tell if the binding itself is cracking or just the finish. A bit of both I think which concerns me. The cracking is mostly near the fret ends but also in a few places in between. Would appreciate any comments on how much of a problem this is likely to be. Is it something I should be concerned about or common on older Rics and not likely to get much worse? Thanks for any input.
I've seen this on older Ricks and other brand instruments, too. Usually, on much older ones than yours. Most likely culprit is lots of extreme temperature/humidity changes. When did you buy the bass? Are you the original owner? Were these cracks there, already, when you bought the bass?
ikay

Post by ikay »

Hi Philip, not intending to go behind your back or anything, I don't have any experience of Rics and was just interested in getting some other feedback from those who do. I hope that's not a problem? Ian
anoukane
Intermediate Member

Post by anoukane »

jps wrote: I've seen this on older Ricks and other brand instruments, too. Usually, on much older ones than yours. Most likely culprit is lots of extreme temperature/humidity changes. When did you buy the bass? Are you the original owner? Were these cracks there, already, when you bought the bass?
I'm the original owner. It was already there when I bought the bass. Less than a year ago. The previous owner was a heavy smoker. Reduced the smell with 90% and gave it a good clean.
Its looks more aged like a 70s Ric than a 90s Ric. Its technical in perfect condition though. I have to sell it because I just bought a '72 of Jason.

ikay wrote: Hi Philip, not intending to go behind your back or anything, I don't have any experience of Rics and was just interested in getting some other feedback from those who do. I hope that's not a problem? Ian
No problem at all mate. I would have done the same.
You've come to the right place. There is a lot of knowledge here. I hope you will find the right Rickenbacker soon. For me it doesn't matter if thats mine or a different Ric. It's always good to do research before buying an instrument :) Especially when it's your first Rickenbacker. 8)
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

It looks to me like the clear coat is cracked, well not sure but guessing polyurethane in 90's?
I am a bit surprised to see this from the 90's as I have seen similar effect on older basses.
I've seen them before on the fret line, my belief is it's movement of the wood around the fret in expansion and contraction.
And the fret doesn't move like wood, now the ones between are curious, I have not seen that before.

I would guess you can't even feel them right? It shouldn't effect the playing/performance at all.

Take it as honest mojo and play the heck out of it!

Dirk
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

That's totally normal, it happens over time. Not all basses from 91 will show this, but that does NOT look like the kind of checking that comes from extreme temperatures.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

jdogric12 wrote:That's totally normal, it happens over time. Not all basses from 91 will show this, but that does NOT look like the kind of checking that comes from extreme temperatures.
What causes this to occur?
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

It just shrinks over time, offgasses, etc. Being all hand-sprayed they vary in application, thickness, maybe even a variation in the tiny amounts of moisture that gets into the lower coats of each finish.
flognoth

Post by flognoth »

jps wrote:I've seen this on older Ricks and other brand instruments, too. Usually, on much older ones than yours. Most likely culprit is lots of extreme temperature/humidity changes. When did you buy the bass? Are you the original owner? Were these cracks there, already, when you bought the bass?
^^This.^^

It is due to fret sprout. Wood expands and contract as seasons change. In summer it can expand and in winter it can contract. It is a similar concept to finish checking but involves the freboard. The fretboard can shrink in the winter and since it is a bound neck the binding moves along with it. The frets are metal and don't move. Depending on how extreme the change is and how fast the board shrinks, the binding can crack since frets don't shrink along with the board.

My 4003 has a touch of this, some of my Gibsons have it more pronounced. Personally, it doesn't bother me I see it as a non issue and a part of the normal aging process of a guitar / bass that's played a lot. It doesn't bother me but I could see how it might be a concern for someone else.
scott_s
Veteran RRF member

Post by scott_s »

In theory, careful attention to humidity levels throughout the seasons (like one would do with a nice acoustic guitar) would prevent this. But as mentioned, not a big issue here. :)
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I would be suspect of a Rick this old that did NOT have this issue! :)
collin

Post by collin »

flognoth wrote:
jps wrote:I've seen this on older Ricks and other brand instruments, too. Usually, on much older ones than yours. Most likely culprit is lots of extreme temperature/humidity changes. When did you buy the bass? Are you the original owner? Were these cracks there, already, when you bought the bass?
^^This.^^

It is due to fret sprout. Wood expands and contract as seasons change.

Yep, and accordingly the cracks in the finish are almost precisely in line with each fret, right where the fret sprout causes expansion.

No big deal, that's part of what makes old instruments look like old instruments!
thx1955
Veteran RRF member

Post by thx1955 »

jdogric12 wrote:I would be suspect of a Rick this old that did NOT have this issue! :)
Umm, have to (in my case) disagree, all of my bound necks, 72, 2-73's, and a 97, have intact neck binding, could just be luck though
"It's Red Jim, but not as we know it...."
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

thx1955 wrote:
jdogric12 wrote:I would be suspect of a Rick this old that did NOT have this issue! :)
Umm, have to (in my case) disagree, all of my bound necks, 72, 2-73's, and a 97, have intact neck binding, could just be luck though
I don't think that my bound neck basses have this problem, but I haven't paid that much attention to them lately. Can't say the same for the guitars, as I know that both 370/12 RMs have cracked neck binding for sure. Oddly enough , the 1981 460 BG doesn't. :shock: 8)
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”