No votes
Founding Member
4%

Total votes: 54

jps
RRF Consultant

Re: How long has it been

Post by jps »

Isaac wrote:I'm on facebook, but this seems to me a better place for in depth discussions.
Given that most folks are on FB these days, there's not much of this anymore, here.
scott_s
Veteran RRF member

Post by scott_s »

Isaac wrote:I'm on facebook, but this seems to me a better place for in depth discussions.
Conversations that can be easily searched and continued, too. Social media is so ephemeral... it's all about what's happening right now, and then it's gone.

I'm not sure that the RRF FB group is necessarily drawing people away from this forum, so much as people are just choosing to spend more of their time on FB in general. I'm a member of quite a few other discussion forums, and it's the same story, whether they have a sister FB group or not.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

jps wrote:
Given that most folks are on FB these days, there's not much of this anymore, here.
But, it seems things are picking up a bit here lately. I'm on FB as well as here, but I'm REALLY getting tired of it. Perhaps others are as well and we might see a resurgence in forum participation.

We can hope anyway. As has been said, social media is much more fleeting and makes in depth discussions difficult. And forget about trying to use it as a resource for looking up past conversations.

The one big advantage things like FB have is the ease of posting pictures and videos. No resizing, etc., just upload and it's there. It would be great if the RRF was so easy...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
clasbas

Post by clasbas »

I am also on FB, but frankly my participation there is almost solely limited to likes. I definitely prefer this format for reading or taking part of a discussion, if I have a choice.
...with the exception of discussions that revolve around something in one or several images, that one I find easier to handle on FB. Which, of course, probably is only due to my lack of the skills needed for being comfortable with images here in the forum :oops:
-------------
Bands: 2
Bass: -64 and -67
Amp: Sunn 300T and Model T prototype
-------------
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

clasbas wrote:...with the exception of discussions that revolve around something in one or several images, that one I find easier to handle on FB. Which, of course, probably is only due to my lack of the skills needed for being comfortable with images here in the forum :oops:
It's not hard to post images on the RRF; it has size limitations for the file, but otherwise there are no issues. I have no idea how it works with cellphones regarding the capability to resize images. With billions and billions of apps out there for just about everything I don't understand while they (cellphone users) have so much trouble with this.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Facebook used to be about friends keeping up with what's going on in their lives. Now it seems it's all politics, all the time. I don't enjoy that.
thx1955
Veteran RRF member

Post by thx1955 »

Isaac wrote:Facebook used to be about friends keeping up with what's going on in their lives. Now it seems it's all politics, all the time. I don't enjoy that.
+1
Facebook is now all about mining and selling every keystroke made by its users, possibly not how it started, but where it is now.

It (like the internet) is a tool, too many turn it into a Lifestyle .... I'll stick to this Forum
"It's Red Jim, but not as we know it...."
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

RRF grew on discussions and mysteries surrounding a 50+ year history. Those discussions have been exhausted. RIC does new things to discuss, but we know about everything there is to know about this one-off or that one-off or the new bridge or 4003AC, etc. I'm surprised there are new discussions happening at all on here and hope it continues (and AM HOPEFUL it will continue) despite having exhausted the depth of the history.

I really wish Rick Redux hadn't gone poof - there was a lot there to mine and it disappeared way too soon.
thx1955
Veteran RRF member

Post by thx1955 »

jdogric12 wrote:RRF grew on discussions and mysteries surrounding a 50+ year history. Those discussions have been exhausted. RIC does new things to discuss, but we know about everything there is to know about this one-off or that one-off or the new bridge or 4003AC, etc. I'm surprised there are new discussions happening at all on here and hope it continues (and AM HOPEFUL it will continue) despite having exhausted the depth of the history.
That's an interesting take, I don't necessarily agree that the discussions are exhausted, we've (longer term members) just been party to a lot of them, more than once.
I'l be the first to admit that even after 45+ years of owning one I'm still learning, and still lean to this group for answers or research.

There are and have been several new members here recently, so, although we may be repeating information previously shared it's still good to see new members and answer, or point them to the answers
ch willie

Post by ch willie »

I've owned my 4001 since it was made in 1978 but have never known a lot about Rics, outside what I get from guitar mags.

So I really enjoy reading the posts here. What is old news to a lot of you who've been here a while, it's fresh to me. I know that might get boring for you, but I appreciate any and all knowledge I get here.
All the world's a stage, albeit with mountains, plains, oceans, rivers, buildings, towers, animals, humans, plants, and Armour's Spam.
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

Back to the original question, this keeps running in my head:

"Ooo, it seems like a mighty long time
Shoo bop, shoo bop, my baby, ooo!"

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?:D
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

Thanx 2 FB I cn only spel shrt wrds.
Don't let democracy end democracy.
thx1955
Veteran RRF member

Post by thx1955 »

ch willie wrote:I've owned my 4001 since it was made in 1978 but have never known a lot about Rics, outside what I get from guitar mags.

So I really enjoy reading the posts here. What is old news to a lot of you who've been here a while, it's fresh to me. I know that might get boring for you, but I appreciate any and all knowledge I get here.
Keep on asking, it is most certainly not boring (at least for me) to share experiences and knowledge, I've owned a Rickenbacker a little longer than you, I joined this forum in 2002 and began to really learn about the instrument I've owned, loved and played my whole adult life. I've made numerous friends here since 2002, bought and sold a few Rickenbacker's, and will most likely buy and sell a few more in the years to come. I've had the chance to meet several of the members, toured the Factory in Santa Anna, and got to meet John Hall.

FInd "Paul Boyer's" (he's a member here) Book : The Rickenbacker Electric Bass: 50 Years as Rock's Bottom really great book that a lot of members here helped Paul with when he was researching the content for the book.

The combined wealth, depth of knowledge, and the collective the experience of the members of this Forum is massive, probably as good as, if not the best available, It's all searchable, and it's all free.
teeder

Post by teeder »

This!
ch willie

Post by ch willie »

thx1955 wrote:
ch willie wrote:I've owned my 4001 since it was made in 1978 but have never known a lot about Rics, outside what I get from guitar mags.

Keep on asking, it is most certainly not boring (at least for me) to share experiences and knowledge, I've owned a Rickenbacker a little longer than you, I joined this forum in 2002 and began to really learn about the instrument I've owned, loved and played my whole adult life. I've made numerous friends here since 2002, bought and sold a few Rickenbacker's, and will most likely buy and sell a few more in the years to come. I've had the chance to meet several of the members, toured the Factory in Santa Anna, and got to meet John Hall.

FInd "Paul Boyer's" (he's a member here) Book : The Rickenbacker Electric Bass: 50 Years as Rock's Bottom really great book that a lot of members here helped Paul with when he was researching the content for the book.

The combined wealth, depth of knowledge, and the collective the experience of the members of this Forum is massive, probably as good as, if not the best available, It's all searchable, and it's all free.
Thanks, man. I appreciate the info. I just bought Boyer's book. it's up next on the reading list. I have always been a nut about learning about Gibsons and Fenders but considering Ric is my fave brand, strange that I hadn't delved in sooner. Geddy Lee's book piqued my interest.
All the world's a stage, albeit with mountains, plains, oceans, rivers, buildings, towers, animals, humans, plants, and Armour's Spam.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”