Wow! Labella Deep Talkin' Flats on my 4001.

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

bigbajo60
Veteran RRF member

Re: Wow! Labella Deep Talkin' Flats on my 4001.

Post by bigbajo60 »

espidog wrote:Excellent soundclip demo, that. Nice one. 8)
Thanks! Appreciate the kind words! :mrgreen:
ch willie

Post by ch willie »

Great vid! Your Ric sounds incredible. I'm waiting to find one of those--Macca freak that I am. (maybe the v63?).

I was impressed with the growl you got even with flats, sounds full too.
All the world's a stage, albeit with mountains, plains, oceans, rivers, buildings, towers, animals, humans, plants, and Armour's Spam.
teeder

Post by teeder »

I liked the TIs a lot but they just a tiny bit too floppy for my liking.
That's what I thought the first time I tried TI's, but now I love them. IMO, they made me play better with my right hand. Now I'm so used to them, I played my '69 out a few weeks ago, tuned down 1/2 step and some songs with drop-D and never had a problem.
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

I tried LaBella Deep Talkin, Roto 40-100 SM77 flats, and Chromes ECB80 40-95 on my 4003 and like the Chromes best so far. Smoothest feel and best sound so far. Tension on the Chromes is in the 160lbs range so easy on the fingers and the neck.

One thing I don't like about LaBellas is that sometimes when I use headphones a wierd pheonomenon occurs that doesn't happen with the SM77 as much, and almost never on the Chromes:
I go to play a given note and some undiscernable note comes out. I think it is a headphone phenomenon that occurs across different phones I have used.
Happens less with SM77.
Doesn't really happen at all with Chromes.

I want to try the Ernie Ball Cobalt Flats next.
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

lumgimfong wrote:I tried Chromes ECB80 40-95 on my 4003 and like the Chromes best so far. Smoothest feel and best sound so far. Tension on the Chromes is in the 160lbs range so easy on the fingers and the neck.
I prefer the EBC84 set, as it's much better for balanced string to string tension. There's only slightly more tension on the E and A strings The D string of ECB80 seems like it came from a different set.
The La Bella Low Tension Flats set is also excellent,, especially if you want old school classic rock and R&B thump right out if the package. They have less tension than most flatwound sets, but not as low as the TI JF344 set, which has too little tension for me.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

To me the ECB80 strings all have same tone across all strings and frets and the tension feels uniform to me.
I guess it is a subjective thing. Or maybe differing technique styles make the strings react differently.
I like the 160lb range for stinr gtension these days.
For years I used the heaviest tensions but then my hand decided it didn't like it anymore.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I always replaced the D string on the ECB80 sets I used with a .055. To me, that provided a nice balance between the strings.
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

jps wrote:I always replaced the D string on the ECB80 sets I used with a .055. To me, that provided a nice balance between the strings.
...but it costs less to buy a string set that already has balanced tension, without making a string go lonely and homeless... :lol:
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

rickenbrother wrote:
jps wrote:I always replaced the D string on the ECB80 sets I used with a .055. To me, that provided a nice balance between the strings.
...but it costs less to buy a string set that already has balanced tension, without making a string go lonely and homeless... :lol:
Yeah, but it was long before they started doing that. Once they found out what I was doing, they got on the ball. :wink:
ram

Post by ram »

You learned 'en Jeff!!!! Way to go!!! ;^)

I just ordered some Labellas for a Hofner Contemporary I just received. Its been decades since i used the last so am awaiting them with great anticipation. They were really nice as I recall. Mostly I'm in the DAdderio camp and have been using the ECB81's as I really like the .045 G string. The ECB84s were just a bit lacking with the .040 G. Is this a great country or what?, we can ***** about .005 of an inch and there are options out there to address them!!
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

I once selected from Chromes singles, IIRC, 35-55-75-95 set on my Starfire bass and it was great, but they strings died quickly.
But I like the ECB80 best for the Ric for flats so far.

It is interesting that people think bigger means beefier tone, and then you find out some of the pros with the hugest tone used skinny strings, at least for guitar anyway. Not sure about bass.
ram

Post by ram »

The tone is for sure an issue with my 8string. I use EXL220s for the fundamentals and then individual string at approx 1/2 the fundamental diameter. For the G string that means a .020 string available as a solid string. This was waaaaay too twangy for my taste. went to a little fatter round wound and all was better (this may have been the difference between solid vs. roundwound). On my five string I use the EXL220s there as I really wanted a .125 B string. Thought it sounded better and played better - again to my taste. The 040 vs 045 with the flats is more of a playability than tone but I notice a little more 'fullness' with the slightly heavier string. Would an audience notice? I doubt it... but I think a player might notice if comparing. Regardless it's the way I roll.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Y'all seen this before, but for the noobs, these are the 40-55-75-95 Chromes, already about eight years old at the time. Recorded through a VT Bass>Markbass Minimark>EV RE20> console.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTO2fw5Q1oQ
ram

Post by ram »

Yeah always have liked that one... really like your all's drummer! The old strings sound perfectly aged!
mgauction
Advanced Member

Post by mgauction »

I am always suspicious of the E string as so many sets have a dud. How do the Labellas hold up?
Leprosy is rare & scarce but nobody wants that!

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”