Reissue Horseshoe Pickup

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

ch willie

Reissue Horseshoe Pickup

Post by ch willie »

I love what the horseshoe has brought to my 1978 4001. My ideal sounds have always been McCartney's on Sgt. Pepper and Wings Over America. And yes, I know he had a high gain pup of some sort in 76, I get pretty close to the sounds of each.

I bought the pickup sometime between 2012-14, and I know nothing about it. I got it from Rickenbacker--90% sure. I've tried finding information on it, but I've had no luck. I've searched this site and the Rickenbacker forum with no clear information.

Are the reissue horseshoes from that time magnetized? Is it possible to remove the tops without affecting the sound at all? I wouldn't do anything to affect the tones I get now. I took the pickup out recently, and I couldn't figure out how I would even remove it--it seems solidly part of the mechanism.

Do any of you have one in your bass?
All the world's a stage, albeit with mountains, plains, oceans, rivers, buildings, towers, animals, humans, plants, and Armour's Spam.
collin

Re: Reissue Horseshoe Pickup

Post by collin »

I believe magnetized horseshoe pickups stopped in 1968 and have never been reissued in magnetized form.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

There were a few early V63 with magnetic HS PUs. The consensus is those were NOS that were installed in those basses. RI HS PUs have alnico slugs; the shoes are mild steel and will conduct a bit of the magnetism from the bobbin's magnets.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

jps wrote:There were a few early V63 with magnetic HS PUs. The consensus is those were NOS that were installed in those basses. RI HS PUs have alnico slugs; the shoes are mild steel and will conduct a bit of the magnetism from the bobbin's magnets.

yep yep - used up the old ones
thx1955
Veteran RRF member

Post by thx1955 »

jps wrote:There were a few early V63 with magnetic HS PUs. The consensus is those were NOS that were installed in those basses. RI HS PUs have alnico slugs; the shoes are mild steel and will conduct a bit of the magnetism from the bobbin's magnets.
I've got one on my Jan-85 V63, "YA-082"
"It's Red Jim, but not as we know it...."
ch willie

Post by ch willie »

I bought the horseshoe and a toaster at about the same time. I wish my memory were better on this, but I think someone at Rickenbacker told me that my Horseshoe was NOS. At the time, I didn't question anything about it.

I appreciate you all taking time to answer my question.
All the world's a stage, albeit with mountains, plains, oceans, rivers, buildings, towers, animals, humans, plants, and Armour's Spam.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Post photos of your HS PU out of the bass, ideally. Show what the baseplate looks like, and the bobbin and pole pieces. Then we can better answer some of the questions in your IP.
ch willie

Post by ch willie »

I"ve got to straighten the metal mute thing. Can't wait to get the replacement foam in it. When I get to that, I'll post photosd of the pickups.

I've decided not to alter the horseshoe. I like the tone you get by playing closer to the neck anyway.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”