Joe Barden pick-ups on a 4003W

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Urkie

Joe Barden pick-ups on a 4003W

Post by Urkie »

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone swapped the Ric picups on the 4003 for JBE R4000.
They ought to enhance the Ric sound even further and are extremely quiet.
Just let me know, I am very interested and may install them too.
Cheers,
Eric.
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Re: Joe Barden pick-ups on a 4003W

Post by rickenbrother »

I've heard the Joe Barden's on a 4003 that I'd set up for someone else. They are probably the only replacement for Rick pickups that I've heard that do not kill the Rick tone. They are very good pickups. Personally, I wouldn't replace RIC pickups and I don't think you'll see much difference in volume in comparison with recent ones. The Bardens are pricey too. These days with all the great pedals that re available, you can get an old instrument, no matter what brand to keep up with the new ones...and investing in a pedal, like a Tech 21 Sansamp or VT or Darkglass would give you more tonal variation and you'll spend about the same money. These are very well made, I haven't noticed any added noise with pedals from either brand . If it's buzz or hum that you're trying to fix, best to have someone who is good with wiring to take a look. Maybe better cables, or noise can come from electrical wiring of the outlet where your amp is plugged in. In that case, the needed fix is to the outlet.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
radapaw

Post by radapaw »

I've installed and heard this, not exactly the same, but still lots of clarity for a humbucker, and ric'ish. for what it's worth the owner of that bass went from stock, to the bardins, then to stock with a nord, and then (and finally) back to the bardens.
Urkie

Post by Urkie »

Thank you for the replies!
I would only try to get rid of the single coils as they do pick up lots of noise from transformers and power supplies.
I have a relatively small studio with much equipment and that is a pain for the Ric 4003. Hence the idea of humbuckers.
You guys helped me a lot as I will only do this if the character of the Ric will remain.
Cheers,
Eric.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I owned a 73 4001 JG once that had been really well shielded and never had a problem - might want to look into that if you like the Rick pickup sound.
espidog

Post by espidog »

jdogric12 wrote:I owned a 73 4001 JG once that had been really well shielded and never had a problem - might want to look into that if you like the Rick pickup sound.
Yup. I've got all the cavities of my 4003 shielded with copper tape. It's quiet as the grave now. Obviously, if I point the pup directly at a nearby source of EMF, like a mains transformer 2 feet away, it'll pick it up, but otherwise not a peep. :)
2004 4003 JetGlo
Epiphone Jack Casady
Ovation Magnum 1
Mania VTB-4BS
Dean Stylist w/ John Birch Magnum II pups
Yamaha BB414
Trace Elliot VA350/GP11 Mk1
Peavey TB-Raxx
2 BFM Omni 10.5 crossfire cabs
Roland Bass Cube 100
espidog

Post by espidog »

espidog wrote:
jdogric12 wrote:I owned a 73 4001 JG once that had been really well shielded and never had a problem - might want to look into that if you like the Rick pickup sound.
Yup. I've got all the cavities of my 4003 shielded with copper tape, and the back of the pickguard where the controls are. It's quiet as the grave now. Obviously, if I point the pup directly at a nearby source of EMF, like a mains transformer 2 feet away, it'll pick it up, but otherwise not a peep. :)
2004 4003 JetGlo
Epiphone Jack Casady
Ovation Magnum 1
Mania VTB-4BS
Dean Stylist w/ John Birch Magnum II pups
Yamaha BB414
Trace Elliot VA350/GP11 Mk1
Peavey TB-Raxx
2 BFM Omni 10.5 crossfire cabs
Roland Bass Cube 100

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”