Multiple thumb rests on an RM1999

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

pag
Intermediate Member

Re: Multiple thumb rests on an RM1999

Post by pag »

Congratulations! (We might have to put an embargo on RMs leaving Britain though!)
As for the horse shoes,I would look for a pair of suitable 60s lap steel ones. Its probably worth buying a whole lapsteel if it comes to the crunch.They will be period and size correct and I think the holes underneath will align with the baseplate on your RM. If its not got the right baseplate just use the lapsteel base plate.( I changed the baseplate on my CS to a 60s lapsteel original after the threads on the plastic reissue one failed). You might want to change the nut to a bakelite one if you ever change it for any reason. Great FG and it should be good to gig for many years.
espidog

Post by espidog »

By the evidence of the 3rd picture, you might want to consider replacing the nut, Clas. Those grooves are pretty slack. So slack, in fact, that the 2nd and 3rd strings are slightly too far apart.
2004 4003 JetGlo
Epiphone Jack Casady
Ovation Magnum 1
Mania VTB-4BS
Dean Stylist w/ John Birch Magnum II pups
Yamaha BB414
Trace Elliot VA350/GP11 Mk1
Peavey TB-Raxx
2 BFM Omni 10.5 crossfire cabs
Roland Bass Cube 100
T.A.R.
Intermediate Member

Post by T.A.R. »

Congratulations! What a beautiful RM!
clasbas

Post by clasbas »

pag wrote:Congratulations! (We might have to put an embargo on RMs leaving Britain though!)
I totally understand this - you've been pretty drained of these from overseas collectors, as far as I know.
pag wrote:As for the horse shoes,I would look for a pair of suitable 60s lap steel ones. Its probably worth buying a whole lapsteel if it comes to the crunch.They will be period and size correct and I think the holes underneath will align with the baseplate on your RM. If its not got the right baseplate just use the lapsteel base plate.( I changed the baseplate on my CS to a 60s lapsteel original after the threads on the plastic reissue one failed).
This is good advice. The transitional hi-gain currently installed sounds really great, so it stays for now, but it is good to have period correct alternatives.
pag wrote:You might want to change the nut to a bakelite one if you ever change it for any reason.
espidog wrote:By the evidence of the 3rd picture, you might want to consider replacing the nut, Clas. Those grooves are pretty slack. So slack, in fact, that the 2nd and 3rd strings are slightly too far apart.
This is the current nut. Looks like the original one was cut down to half and used as a foundation for putting the new nut in the correct vertical position.
1964_nut_mixed.jpg
This is a bakelite one, correct?
1967_nut_bakelite.jpg
T.A.R. wrote:Congratulations! What a beautiful RM!
Thanks!

I love this forum. So much valuable feedback from you people, for a noob like myself. Thanks again!
-------------
Bands: 2
Bass: -64 and -67
Amp: Sunn 300T and Model T prototype
-------------
pag
Intermediate Member

Post by pag »

You can always rely on everyone here for tips and tech advice. Long live the forum!

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”