4002 PG for 4003AC?

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

cassius987

4002 PG for 4003AC?

Post by cassius987 »

Would it be possible to retrofit a 4002 pickguard, or a close approximate, onto a 4003AC? I have not had time to study the endeavor closely, but just by overlaying photographs, it looks like it could probably be made to work.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Re: 4002 PG for 4003AC?

Post by iiipopes »

Cassius,

Any chance of posting your overlays so we can do more work on this possibility?
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

What sort of bass is that? It doesn't look like an AC.
iiipopes wrote:Cassius,

Sure, I posted them awhile back, and will try to dredge them up. I think they're on my other computer.

Edit: Can't find the old overlay like I hoped but quickly made this mock-up. I had a hard time lining up the two basses. It looks possible, I'm mostly worried about some of the pickup cavity sticking out from under the replacement PG though.
Attachments
4003ac-4002.png
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

cassius987 wrote:
The 4003 CB SPC MB (aka CMB) they did in December. Run of 27. I am lucky to have one and it is fantastic. Used it here, sadly you can't see it well:

https://youtu.be/f99AzYj1mUE
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

cassius987 wrote:
iiipopes wrote:Cassius,

Sure, I posted them awhile back, and will try to dredge them up. I think they're on my other computer.

Edit: Can't find the old overlay like I hoped but quickly made this mock-up. I had a hard time lining up the two basses. It looks possible, I'm mostly worried about some of the pickup cavity sticking out from under the replacement PG though.
Wouldn't it be best to simply come up with a shape that is similar to a 4002 PG but shaped to work with what you actually have. Don't try and get the profile exactly the same, just the basic concept. There is much that is not the same between the two instruments to make an exact copy of the 4002 PG fit and, most importantly, look good on the bass.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

cassius987 wrote:
Its not, but it has the same dual-bridge pickup scheme as the AC bass, so I figured it would work for you.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

sloop_john_b wrote:
cassius987 wrote:
Its not, but it has the same dual-bridge pickup scheme as the AC bass, so I figured it would work for you.
Got it - thanks. I was not sure if I was looking at a custom creation or what... But you and Jason got me sorted, so ty very much. :)
jps wrote:Wouldn't it be best to simply come up with a shape that is similar to a 4002 PG but shaped to work with what you actually have. Don't try and get the profile exactly the same, just the basic concept. There is much that is not the same between the two instruments to make an exact copy of the 4002 PG fit and, most importantly, look good on the bass.
Yeah - I didn't mean to imply that wasn't the goal here. An exact clone is probably either not possible or would look out of place. But I am not the type of skilled artisan who can trust myself to design such a pickguard that would cop the old vibe while working with the contours of the AC. I'm still amazed that I pulled off the pickguard design for my 4001FL as well as it turned out.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”