Question

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Question

Post by cheyenne »

I have a 2016 4003S. I really want to mod the neck pickup to the 1/2" spacing.

Is this a safe mod now? or is the dreaded "forward neck bow" still an issue?
"Knowledge is Power"
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: Question

Post by jdogric12 »

I did it to my '15 and it's great. I think the trick is to only take out as much as you need to , no more. I can put you in touch with my local guy who did it if you want.
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

Thanks Jason, that's what I was thinking as well.

I've got the vintage guard all ready, I'm thinking of putting it on, marking what needs to come out and going for it. Do you have to go as deep as the standard route?
"Knowledge is Power"
gregson62

Post by gregson62 »

The route I made in my 2018 4003 for a Toaster pickup. I left a 'shelf' and the pickup fits snugly.
neck_pocket_route.jpg
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

Looks good.
"Knowledge is Power"
teeder

Post by teeder »

When I had Larry Davis do some mods on a V63, I had him add a new maple block in and then just route enough for the pickup. It's a lot more solid now.
henry5
Advanced Member

Post by henry5 »

teeder wrote:When I had Larry Davis do some mods on a V63, I had him add a new maple block in and then just route enough for the pickup. It's a lot more solid now.
That’s what I’d have done too Kevin.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

gregson62 wrote:The route I made in my 2018 4003 for a Toaster pickup. I left a 'shelf' and the pickup fits snugly.
neck_pocket_route.jpg
AHHHHH!!! Checkerboard and 1/2 inch spacing AHHHHHHH!!! 8)
knavel

Post by knavel »

cheyenne wrote:I have a 2016 4003S. I really want to mod the neck pickup to the 1/2" spacing.
Can I ask what is meant by the "1/2'' spacing" mod. What is the end result? Is it just to move the neck pickup closer to the base of the neck or is it necessary so as to be able to put in a toaster pick up? Or is it just to match a 60s aesthetic where the neck pickup was close to the base of the neck?
ram

Post by ram »

Mark, I believe the short answer is to make the bass look retro or period. My '74 4001 has the 1/2 inch spacing, sometime after that Ric went to the bigger 1" spacing for the 400* models. Supposedly this was for structural reasons (neck at body stress point). Some say it makes a modest difference in the sound. I think it does but very minor. The mod is made by plugging up the existing routed section and opening up, as little as possible, a new cavity for the pickup at the 1/2 in spacing location. Of course the pick-guard would need to be matched.
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

I would love to hear a before and after recording of this mod.

If you do it, please record before and after, and as fairly as possible.

My theory is the difference will be barely audible, so maybe this ends up being a looks issue more than a sonic difference.

That said, some of my theories have certainly been proven wrong in the past. :)
Dirk
espidog

Post by espidog »

I'm with Dirk here. I would dearly love to hear before and after clips on this mod, to satisfy my curiosity and settle the "is it an audible difference?" question once and for all.
2004 4003 JetGlo
Epiphone Jack Casady
Ovation Magnum 1
Mania VTB-4BS
Dean Stylist w/ John Birch Magnum II pups
Yamaha BB414
Trace Elliot VA350/GP11 Mk1
Peavey TB-Raxx
2 BFM Omni 10.5 crossfire cabs
Roland Bass Cube 100
knavel

Post by knavel »

ram wrote:Mark, I believe the short answer is to make the bass look retro or period. My '74 4001 has the 1/2 inch spacing, sometime after that Ric went to the bigger 1" spacing for the 400* models. Supposedly this was for structural reasons (neck at body stress point). Some say it makes a modest difference in the sound. I think it does but very minor. The mod is made by plugging up the existing routed section and opening up, as little as possible, a new cavity for the pickup at the 1/2 in spacing location. Of course the pick-guard would need to be matched.
Thanks! - So you don't actually rout anywhere new. Rather you plug the factory rout then rout into the plug? I presume the position of the neck pickup must move as part of this?--presumably closer to the base of the neck?
espidog

Post by espidog »

No, you plug the old "swimming pool" rout and then create a new route half an inch closer to the neck. This removes some wood from the plug and some from the body of the instrument
2004 4003 JetGlo
Epiphone Jack Casady
Ovation Magnum 1
Mania VTB-4BS
Dean Stylist w/ John Birch Magnum II pups
Yamaha BB414
Trace Elliot VA350/GP11 Mk1
Peavey TB-Raxx
2 BFM Omni 10.5 crossfire cabs
Roland Bass Cube 100
knavel

Post by knavel »

espidog wrote:No, you plug the old "swimming pool" rout and then create a new route half an inch closer to the neck. This removes some wood from the plug and some from the body of the instrument
Got it. It's remarkable the work it takes to get a 4001S/1999 aesthetic. And one has to go to the "dark web" for a plexi truss rod cover!

For my part I can live with the neck pick up where it is, especially given the history of structural issues. I will focus my mods on the sound, throwing a 60s toaster from the parts box into the neck slot and the horseshoe I just ordered from Lollar into the bridge.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”