jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Post of picture of you PLAYING your ric

Post by jps »

Barefaced cabinet?
daveman

Post by daveman »

Yes, it's a Barefaced Super Compact under an Ampeg PF-50. I pushed the amp to the limit and it was just enough volume and great tone.
JackTheRipper

Post by JackTheRipper »

At a small club last weekend. If you look close you can see the Line 6 Helix in my rack. I'm really starting to like it.
21765637_1543055655761654_8519263289923855776_o.jpg
--jack
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Here's a link to a facebook video of me playing my 1978 BG 4001 at last night's show.

https://www.facebook.com/isaac.jones.37 ... 7862597333
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Isaac wrote:Here's a link to a facebook video of me playing my 1978 BG 4001 at last night's show.
I'm sure it looks great but I won't be able to see it.
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

daveman wrote:
2017-09-23 ric.jpg
On McLean Ave., Yonkers NY, with Lugwrench. My '73 4001.
Looks like a fun gig. Love the barefaced cab. I've often thought it would make a nice pairing with a Quilter amp. Nothing wrong with an Ampeg of course!
Don't let democracy end democracy.
daveman

Post by daveman »

Kiddwad57 wrote:
daveman wrote:
2017-09-23 ric.jpg
On McLean Ave., Yonkers NY, with Lugwrench. My '73 4001.
Looks like a fun gig. Love the barefaced cab. I've often thought it would make a nice pairing with a Quilter amp. Nothing wrong with an Ampeg of course!
Yeah, I've been eyeing the Quilter as a high-power alternative/backup to the PF-50. I love the Ampeg but it was truly at the limit of its capability on this gig. (My days of lugging around an SVT are over!)
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

I love tubes, for sure, but oodles of quality power in a light weight package is pretty hard to argue with. It's a great time to be a bassist.
henry5
Advanced Member

Post by henry5 »

Another Barefaced user here (One10), with a Tech21 VT500, when I actually use backline, which is seldom these days (I use a VT pedal direct most of the time). Great combination & weighs nothing. We're an acoustic band so don't need much. I'll be adding another One10 to the arsenal at some point, just in case.

Here are a couple of live pics wth my '72 Azure, which is my main gigging bass (no backline at the first, borrowed backline - charity gig - at the second).
Whitecross 2.jpg
Azure 2.jpg
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Nice Shaun! 8)

I see your cajón player wore shoes that coordinate with your pedal. :mrgreen:

What is that 12 string guitar?
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

[/quote] Yeah, I've been eyeing the Quilter as a high-power alternative/backup to the PF-50. I love the Ampeg but it was truly at the limit of its capability on this gig. (My days of lugging around an SVT are over!)[/quote]

Well, I just turned 60 (thankful to be here at all, but...) and my favorite cab for years has been a bag end d-10c. Virtually the same dimensions as your barefaced super compact, but thirty pounds heavier. It feels like it is once again time to make some changes. At 23.5 lbs., your barefaced is the same weight as a GK MB150s, the grab and go amp that has served so well for the last twenty years.

It's amazing that a 500 watt amp is about the same size as an effects pedal. I do have an euphonic audio micro that I like a lot and will be keeping, but the Quilter seems appealing in that they developed their own power amp designs, rather than implementing the ice power modules that most are using.

Shaun, if you catch this, did you ever compare your barefaced 1X10 to the euphonic audio wizzy 10? I know you weren't a fan of their amps. BTW, azureglo rocks!
Attachments
These look interesting, for portable drums: gigpig-drums.com
These look interesting, for portable drums: gigpig-drums.com
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Nathan, check these out. I was in a band with a drummer who had these.
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

No doubt! There's a cool site called compactdrums.com if you're interested.

A pic with me playing the last gig on my Ric. Can't wait 'til she's back in my arms again!
henry5
Advanced Member

Post by henry5 »

jps wrote:Nice Shaun! 8)

I see your cajón player wore shoes that coordinate with your pedal. :mrgreen:

What is that 12 string guitar?
Oh, that's him all over, ever the fashion icon. :lol:

The 12 is my Vintage Gordon Giltrap. Fairly cheap (about £450-£500) but a great guitar and outstanding value for money. I love it. Some find the styling (based on Gordon's Rob Armstrong acoustic) a little out there but I think it's beautiful.
henry5
Advanced Member

Post by henry5 »

Kiddwad57 wrote:
Yeah, I've been eyeing the Quilter as a high-power alternative/backup to the PF-50. I love the Ampeg but it was truly at the limit of its capability on this gig. (My days of lugging around an SVT are over!)[/quote]

Well, I just turned 60 (thankful to be here at all, but...) and my favorite cab for years has been a bag end d-10c. Virtually the same dimensions as your barefaced super compact, but thirty pounds heavier. It feels like it is once again time to make some changes. At 23.5 lbs., your barefaced is the same weight as a GK MB150s, the grab and go amp that has served so well for the last twenty years.

It's amazing that a 500 watt amp is about the same size as an effects pedal. I do have an euphonic audio micro that I like a lot and will be keeping, but the Quilter seems appealing in that they developed their own power amp designs, rather than implementing the ice power modules that most are using.

Shaun, if you catch this, did you ever compare your barefaced 1X10 to the euphonic audio wizzy 10? I know you weren't a fan of their amps. BTW, azureglo rocks![/quote]

Hi Nathan, to be honest I was less keen on their cabs than their amps. I guess I just like a fairly coloured sound. The guys at Overwater (main agent) did their best back in the day but I'm afraid I wasn't biting. :lol: I love the Barefaced though; with the VT500 I can get true Squire/Rutherford/Glover in miniature (and plenty more besides). It's designed to sound old-school. The cab only weighs 17lbs I think, and I carry the cab and the head in a cajon bag, total weight about 25lbs.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”