Professional Player

Post by marc67 »

...Only the C64S or the C64 too?
for mail please use marclaza@hotmail.com
loveboatcaptain

Re: Reshaping a C64S

Post by loveboatcaptain »

Great post.

I agree with the origin poster... the C64 is not a good body shape... I’m the same, a huge wings fan, think Rockshow dvd/wi gs over America love album.

With regards to some earlier comment on the horseshoe being ripped out. McCartney never ever used the horseshoe pickup. His Beatles tone is always the more mellow Toaster being used. This is clear to the ears and is backed up by every shot of him playing it by the position of the tone selector (remember his bass was wired back to front as it was the first lefty, hence the upside down headstock as well).

He also used the toaster for earlier solo stuff and early wings: McCartney, Ram, Wild Life, Red Rose Speedway, Venus and Mars. Again clearly recognisable to the ear and also backed up by pics and live pics of early wings.
So the horseshoe is never used even though it’s in place. Those horseshoes were super thin and clanky, not at all what you hear. (Remember the cap is in the horseshoe pickup circuit at this point and of course not being used either).

Sometime in 1975, the bass was sent back to the Ric factory for some repairs, mainly to repair the horseshoe as it didn’t work, and I suspect hadn’t worked for years. The Ric team, removed the horseshoe as it would no longer take a magnet charge and replaced it with a slightly overwound standard hi gain (same design as what would have been in a 70’s 4001), at this point they also REMOVED the cap from the bridge circuit, this is an important mod which makes all the difference.
From that point on (Wings over America live album and whole tour, included Europe tour and Australia, Wings At The Speed of Sound, London Town, Back to the egg (most of) this is Paul’s new sound and look, the horseshoe is out, no pickup cover, and a bigger meaty sound which is clearly the hi gain overpowering the mellower toaster... it’s the Silly Long Songs tone, just listen to Wings Over America or watch Rockshow... the difference is clear. Also Wings at the Speed of Sound has it all over it.

So that’s why the pricks poster removed the horseshoe... I didn’t exactly the same kid to mine... is you want the wings bass, you gotta have the hi gain and remove the cap. Because the horseshoe is totally irrelevant to Any of Paul McCartneys tones over the years. The classic “Wings” tone is the Hi Gain decapped with the original S4440 Ric/maxima flatwound and picked close to the bridge to get that snarky sound. Most wings live pics show Paul’s bass in this format... it’s what made me want to play bass when I was a kid and I think Ric were lazy with this C64S replica. Even though I love mine.

The Beatles gear book shows his bass as it apparently exists today. For some strange reason it now has a replica horseshoe back in the bridge position (the same one which comes in the C64) he used a C64S on the song Spinning On An Axis from Driving rain and I think you’ll agree it’s hardly the massive snarky wings tone.its all about the decamped hi gain, and the position it forces him to play closer to the bridge.

I had a great conversation with one of the guys responsible for male the mod when it was In Ric factory in 1975.
Hope this gives an interesting insight as to why up Wings fans insist on getting that horseshoe out ASAP. Does nothing for me! And also, if you decap a replica C64 horseshoe, they are way too hot. The hi gain is were it’s at for wings over America tone.
collin

Post by collin »

Nothing quite like dredging up a post on the internet that is sixteen years old.

:shock:
bluewhale

Post by bluewhale »

collin wrote:Nothing quite like dredging up a post on the internet that is sixteen years old.

:shock:
If you are not ridiculing loveboatcaptain for the post above, then please disregard.

Otherwise, for my part, I am glad that he contributed to this discussion. He had something to add, and it brought the thread to my attention.

In my opinion, the fact that this type of thread has no expiration date is a virtue.

Be well,
bluewhale
teeder

Post by teeder »

Ah, I remember this thread!

I prefer the earlier "toaster only" sound of Sir Paul's Rick.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”