Reshaping a C64S

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

RutleDirk
Veteran RRF member

Reshaping a C64S

Post by RutleDirk »

While I'm just in love with my 4001C64S from a player's standpoint, I must say that I'm very disappointed with some of its cosmetic aspects.

For reference: Grab a C64S, or a good picture of one, and the Beatles Gear book (which, I believe, was published _before_ the C Series went into production).

Comparing a 4001C64S to the "today" photo of "his" 4001S...

The horns don't have the right shape/contour. I am truly sorry to have to point this out again, but let's face it, this is _painfully_ obvious! The body also looks a little "heavy" in general. The truss rod cover is not positioned "correctly", and it sure looks to me like the body & neck (or fretboard) don't meet in the same place.

A couple other observations, for the record:
- The C64S has standard vintage strap buttons. Macca's has straplocks.
- Look at the difference in the size/shape of the pickguard and its position relative to the body, particularly down near the knobs. Not the same at all.

Regardless of the angle from which I view mine, or to which shot of Macca's I'm comparing it, I can't even force myself to begin to believe that they look the same.

Frankly, I don't think RIC did a particularly good job at reproducing this instrument. I'd never part with mine now, but for the $$$ I paid, I really expected something more accurate, especially as it was, and continues to be, touted as a replica of "...his bass as it finally exists today."

*WHEW* (as the crowd shouts in unison, "GET ON WITH IT!!!)

OK, OK. Here's my real motive: I'm looking for someone who would be both capable and willing to perform the cosmetic surgery required to make my C64S look as much like the original as possible. We can skip the dings, dents and scratches! ;-)

Anyone here interested, or does anyone have any reccommendations?

Thanks for tolerating all of that!
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

It would be helpful if you posted side by side pics of the Paul's and your bass. I've always thought they looked the same but then again RIC probably was pretty sure no one would be playing their C64 while standing next to him with his 4001s. Do the other guys in your band and audiance members point this out too?
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

I like them. While I don't doubt the accuracy of your observations, I'd like one just for the intent and spirit of the idea.
RutleDirk
Veteran RRF member

Post by RutleDirk »

Nah, nobody notices it but me, but then again, they're not really into the Macca/Wings thing like I am.

Pictures on their way, as soon as I can find some...
RutleDirk
Veteran RRF member

Post by RutleDirk »

Yeah, the intent and spirit definitely show! It has just the coolest vibe, and it's absolutely the best bass I've ever played, by FAR!

Nit-picker that I am, my problem is strictly with the cosmetics.

Pretty dang shallow of me, now, innit?
"...but she has a great personality!"
RutleDirk
Veteran RRF member

Post by RutleDirk »

This isn't me, but it is my 'C64S.

I suspect that this guy might just be lurking around the forum somewhere, though!

Sorry so fuzzy. I was a bit drunk that day.
Better pics soon.

RutleDirk
Veteran RRF member

Post by RutleDirk »

Pictures, as promised.

Shots of the "original" are from the Beatles Gear book, pages 234 & 235. (white backgrounds)

(Beatles Gear, pg. 235)
(Mine)
(Beatles Gear, pg. 234)
(Mine)

Things to note:

1. Shape of horns, particularly the upper.
2. Contour of upper body.
3. Location of 20th fret w/respect to the body, both top and bottom.
4. Shape of pickguard, particularly around the control area, the top edge and the front corners.
5. Location of pickguard, w/respect to the body, particularly the lower and front edges.
6. Shape of pickup surround, esp. corners.
7. (Yes, I did change the treble pickup, but not the surround)
8. Position of the top strap button
9. Type of strap buttons
10. Shape of truss rod cover.
11. Length of truss rod cover.

12. Position of truss rod cover.
13. "Made In USA" on (not on) truss rod cover.
14. Overall shape of headstock, particularly on the treble side.
15. Width of headstock center and wings.
16. Position of tuners w/respect to headstock wings

Anyone see anything else?

Thanks, everyone!
DT
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

I think Spinal Tap once said "Well that's nit-picking isn't it?"
apollo11
Intermediate Member

Post by apollo11 »

Why did you change the horseshoe? That one item it the most noticeable of all you have mentioned.
It is a feature that glares out that it is not a "McCartney" bass, and the first thing everybody sees.
Andrew
'05 4001C64, Fireglo
'03 4003, Jetglo
spencer

Post by spencer »

Well, I'm a bit anal myself and I do agree with
your sixteen-point gripe list, I can see them.
I guess I went through a little of that back when
I got both my V series. Everybody here did, which
is why the Cs exsist at all.
There's a guy named Jeff Levison from 'Fabgear'
that does specific Beatle mods - do a search on
him.
My opinion though, cosmetics are this last consideration when I'm playing (mainly cause I close my eyes) so just don't look at it.
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

I do like the upper contour and upper horn, and the headstock better on the Real Macca bass. 'Course it's gotta have a horseshoe.
teeder

Post by teeder »

The body and headstock contours could be done fairly easily. I wouldn't try to change how the fretboard meets the body. It does effect how the pickguard sits also.

My brother could do the wood reshaping.

We were both disapointed with his C64 (not "S") countours. The radii on the body were extremely sharp, with almost square corners.
My V63 is alot closer.
There Is What You Can See. There Aren’t What You Don’t See. And That’s All There Is That You Get!
RutleDirk
Veteran RRF member

Post by RutleDirk »

Normally, the cosmetics wouldn't matter all that much to me, either, but I'm working on a project that requires this instrument to have the "Wings" look, circa '76. This is why I replaced the pickup, too.

This brings up another question: Anyone know how to duplicate the custom pickup that Paul was using during the '76 era? I have no fear of pickups; I'll modify a HG myself, if that'll do the trick.

Indeed, I had noticed the radii on the body, but I neglected to mention it specifically.

Kevin, has your brother already done this with a C64 or V63? If so, I'd love to see the results.

Thanks for all of the info! I'll check into Jeff Levison and "Fabgear".
jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

a good approximation would be a modern 4003 treble high gain pickup ... that's what I put in my '68 ... it kicks butt set up that way ...
RutleDirk
Veteran RRF member

Post by RutleDirk »

Ah! Good news, then!
I did swap the horseshoe pickup with a high-gain from one of my '00 4003s, bypassing the cap, and it does sound right, to me.

Consequently, the 4003 sounds KILLER with the HS in there! (Not exactly the Wings sound, though.)

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”