59 4000

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

The article I have states that the neck is walnut and one piece. This looks like the same picture. Crack in the pickgaurd and all. My copy is a scanned copy. I can't tell from my photo. All the info I stated was in the text. I can check with the person who gave it to me to find the actual source. According to the Richard Smith book sometime in 58' they swiched from mahogany to walnut for the necks. If this is walnut and a 57' it may be the only one or one of a few.
"The best things in life aren't things."
mgauction
Advanced Member

Post by mgauction »

Scott Jennings, a Rickenbacker historian, could tell you actually how many were made from that year, and there weren't many. He is a member of this forum. Very, very few actually. He actually thought mine was a '57 at first. The 4000 I had, had different control knobs than the Michael Anthony bass, which still could have been original, since they were using other guitar parts.
Leprosy is rare & scarce but nobody wants that!
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

This article states that this is the third 4000 made the first being B7100. It is obvious in this picture that there is no routing on the top edge of the body as on the one on Ebay. Note the pickup surround is also different. I will try to get the original magazine and scan it to post if I can do it in a timely manner. It is from a vintage guitar magazine, not the news paper type, from 1976. The photo is by Jeff Veitch, maybe you could cross reference it with the one in the book.
"The best things in life aren't things."
readyeddy

Post by readyeddy »

Hello everyone and to Mike in particular.
I am Eddy, the guy from Mexico who bought the ´59 4000 Rick from Mike (THANKS MIKE).
I am new to this discussion group and all info on 4000 Ricks is of great help for me. I am trying to track down all modifications done to this baby and keep it in best possible original shape. Mike´s comments are precise and true: the bass plays very well and sounds terrific !!!! Another member said it looked ugly, Well, sorry to disappoint you. The bass looks gorgeous. Guess this only proves that beauty is for sure in the eyes of the beholder.Image
mgauction
Advanced Member

Post by mgauction »

Eddy! Welcome to the forum. Lots of nice and knowledgable people here. How many basses are you up to now? I'm letting a few things go very soon to make way for others, so I'll email you soon. Take care, buddy!
Leprosy is rare & scarce but nobody wants that!
rickfan60

Post by rickfan60 »

Hi Eddy, I wanted that bass very badly about 10 months ago. Congrats! That is a great score.
readyeddy

Post by readyeddy »

Always great to hear from you Mike !!!
65. Guess I will have to let go some pretty soon as well.
Glad you like it Ted, The pic was taken from the side so body looks kind of big, out of proportion and strange. It is not like this in real life of course !!!
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

I personally like the oddball styling on the early 4000's. They were the styling inspiration for my "Model 3400" modifications to one of my 3000's(pics on another thread today). Other than some square acrylic rod accents, the above 4000 looks right on.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Welcome Eduardo. I too think that 4000 looks great!
beatlefan

Post by beatlefan »

Hi Eduardo!!

I like it too! Not a thing wrong with that baby!
1973 4001 MG cb fwi
1986 4003 Shadow
2012 4004Cii FG w/gold trim
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

Welcome Eduardo, always great to get another forum member. Together we create an enormous information source. Nice '59 by the way.
"Knowledge is Power"
readyeddy

Post by readyeddy »

marc61

Post by marc61 »

That debate is in another thread "60 4000 on the bay" or something to that effect. check out the pics on the thread and give us your thoughts.
" It's not where you are, it's who you're with.".
Baz Cooper

Re: 59 4000

Post by Baz Cooper »

Love that 4000!!!! Man... I'd Trade My mint unbroken '65 Thunderbird II for that!!!
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: 59 4000

Post by jps »

Baz Cooper wrote:Love that 4000!!!! Man... I'd Trade My mint unbroken '65 Thunderbird II for that!!!
Why don't you just sell the T-bird outright, you will get far more money that way, then, go buy a 4000, and pocket the difference (your profit from the sale of aforementioned TB). :wink:
Last edited by jps on Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”