Squire's amplification history

The genius of Chris Squire
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

As far as the repairs to Chris's bass is concerned, you don't have to take my word for it, even though I saw the whole process unfold with my own eyes.

Grover Jackson is readily available- ask him!

Richard Davis (Chris's tech) is readily available- ask him!

I don't know Michael Tobias personally, but if anyone else knows him- ask him!

It WAS in for a refret but the board had chips along the frets, perhaps from a previous refret, and some string wear into the board, so that it couldn't be done well. Furthermore, the neck was bowed slightly and completely unadjustable due to the glue in the truss rod slots and since the rods wouldn't come out, these two conditions suggested we do the work this way.

Richard Davis approved the work and whether he mentioned any of this to Chris or not- well, you'll have to ask him. I do remember Richard having a heart bypass operation in the midst of all this which might have a bearing on the communications with Chris (as well as provide a better date estimate).
jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

Vince ... don't baby the bass just play it ...
vincent_gallo

Post by vincent_gallo »

With Chris playing Rotosounds for so long, i guess it makes sense the bass would need a new board at some point. I did not notice it had a new board in 97 when I first checked out the bass so maybe it was done later than 97 or maybe I was in so much shock from finally getting to be so close to that bass that I lost my senses or maybe the job was done so well that it went un-noticed. Or maybe all of that. The fact that Chris is unclear if it was ever done speaks well of the quality of the job done.
seyesbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by seyesbass »

Maybe the fretboard was taken off,then the truss rod problem sorted and then the board was planed on the reverse side ready to be glued back onto the neck?
Er,going back to amps you cant underestimate the old Marshall Supabass for adding sheer filth.
On the subject of the Squire sound regardless of the bass or amp,while my hand was still in plaster I played along at a SEYES rehearsal with just a V63 into a Behringer Di box straight into the PA.
I didnt expect much as I could only use two fingers (yeah those two!)and I intended just ghosting to keep the song going.
The sound was as good as my Ampeg and I was very surprised so it has to be the technique rather than the bass or the amp. I used to wind up the singer in my soul band by playing Yes stuff on my 73 Jazz at sound checks and it sounded just like a Rick.I also used to play in a Who tribute with the Jazz and the CS and again with the Entwistle stuff it was the technique that produced the sound whether I used a Hiwatt Marshall or a Fender amp.
Having said that I do like to turn around and see an Ampeg logo rather than Zanussi or Maytag or whatever washing machine Geddy Lee has these days!
Does fabric conditioner give you more treble boost?
If Chris had a tumble dryer for backline it would be an industrial one for sure.
Too many basses is an oxymoron
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

Pete, it's Chicken Rotisseries for Geddy these days...LOL...BIG ones!
gearhed289
Intermediate Member

Post by gearhed289 »

Yeah, someone needs to tell Ged the joke is over...
'89 4003S, '92 4001CS, '93 4003S/8
www.nomadichorizonband.com
rictified

Post by rictified »

"My sound is a combination of the amp controls, the guitar's controls, and the volume we're playing at." The settings on the Sunn Coliseum Lead head, which Chris states without hesitation, are 6 on the volume levels, 4 on the low freq control, 3 on the high freq control, 5 on the mid-freq, and 10 on the treble. On the Rick, the volume and tome controls on the treble (bridge) pickup are run wide open. The bass (neck) pickup volume is near full and the tone knob sits on 4.

I remember that article. I have gotten a close approximation of his sound by playing a Fender P bass very hard with Rotos and a SS Sunn lead guitar head with my fingers years ago through an SVT cab. That being said I think technique is the overriding concern that will get you any sound you really want. Of course you need to be practical, you're not going to get Duck Dunn's sound with a brand new set of RW's on your bass. I think some of you guys are putting too much emphasis on his equipment and not enough on his technique which is where the sound comes from, he (as anyone) just needs the proper equipment to allow the sound to come forth.
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

Well said, Bob.
You can never own too many guitars!
ram

Post by ram »

Agreed Bob, if Chris, or Geddy, or Paul, or, or, or played the same bass through the same rig; you'd still here the 'sound' of whoever was playing. While you cannot ignore the amplification end of the equation - technique is what, I feel, drives the "sound" a player has.
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
rick12dr
Veteran RRF member

Post by rick12dr »

If you want to hear what Arnquist has to offer on this subject, email him arnquist@comcast.net

I'm sure he can provide some insight as to what he did .
mikeyesfan

Post by mikeyesfan »

Hey Vince,
Have you seen and played a 4003 75th DCM?

Great stories , keep em coming.
I got this Close to Chris's Bass Image

YES is the Answer!
mikeyesfan

Post by mikeyesfan »

YES is the Answer!
fabian

Re: Squire's amplification history

Post by fabian »

Hello Forum

I'm Fabian from Normandy,Fr.,I really love this forum, great postings!

Pse. don't forget the Sound City amp. (from the early Yes years)before the Sunn
(always with the amazing Maestro Brassmaster + the stereo Bi amp setup)

All the best and a great 2008!

fabian
Rouen
France
Attachments
Chris Squire "The MASTER"
Chris Squire "The MASTER"

Post by 2112 »

This thread has got to be the best read on this site! I have learned sooo much about Chris's bass and amps from just reading all of this stuff. One could almost put all of this together and practically have a book. Chris Squire's impact on the instrument and the sound that he has had has inspired at least 50% of bass players to this day. Including me!
As far as some sounds that Chris has had over the years that have blown my head off is the tone he got for the studio version of "America" and I have a live recording from 1978 of "Siberian Khatru" where Chris had the bwaaahhh sound to his Rick. I must have heard that particular recording a thousand times now and I always find myself rewinding the disc at various places in the song just to hear parts of it over and over, just shaking my head in amazement each and every time I hear it. Chris is one badass bass player and one of the nicest people you'll ever meet. I have met him after Yes gigs and after a Syn show, and he could'nt be more cordial to his fans. He will talk, joke around, take pictures, sign whatever you want, talk shop or just shake your hand with a smile. One class person for sure!
fabian

Post by fabian »

Thomas
Chris Squire is amazing, and there's a "Chris Squire sound",(unique btw)
I'm tired listening all those players.playing 50.000 notes per second,even if they are "fast",I love Chris Squire,cause he's 100% different
I don't see ANY other bass player,"trying" to play "Siberian" like Chris,no way! Chris is a kind of "1 man orchestra",and a great one.
Vitous is great,Pastorius,Jeff Berlin and many others,but Chris Squire is "UNIQUE".

I know...I'm a full time Chris fan,and I can't wait to see the 2008 Yes tour! and get my 4001 Chris Squire Limited edition signed by the master,I hope they' ll play in France. btw,try the FOOW reissue,and the Christmas Cd,both are GREAT,(availables at the Chris Squire official website),or check Chris Squire myspace.

fabian
Rouen,Normandy,Fr.

PS. Agree with you this Forum is the very best place to learn about Chris.

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”