Alternate.. tuning! (8 string)

The genius of Chris Squire
miguelbass

Re: Alternate.. tuning! (8 string)

Post by miguelbass »

Dear Tom and Dane,

Here go the pics I did for the 8 string bass bridge! Wish you a Happy New Year, see you soon!

Miguel
Attachments
bridge_zon_sonus8_2.JPG
bridge_zon_sonus8_1.JPG
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Happy New Year!
miguelbass

Post by miguelbass »

Yes Jeffrey, it's a Zon Sonus 8 . Happy New Year!

Miguel
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Once I actually read all the posts, I edited my initial post! :lol:

Have you heard Attention Deficit's The Idiot King CD? Michael Manring plays a cool 8 string part on the first song, "American Jingo" on his 8 string Zon, or it may be his 10 string Zon. I am down to one Zon from the three I used to have; I used to tell people these are "My Three Zons"! :mrgreen:

The whole The Idiot King CD is full of great music, BTW. :D
prohumanbeing

Chris's 8 strings...

Post by prohumanbeing »

I taled to Chris the other night at the Aspen show about his Ricky 8 and whattaya know? He had the Ranney built (I forgot to ask who built it--no luck finding online) because N*kki apparently "squired' that one away too like the old tele bass and tried to sell it on Ebay. Chris said a friend found it and he has it back and it's being restored. Wow. I had a great chat with Richard Davis too ---almost asked to play the triple neck but oh well.

Paul

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

Very cool picture, Paul. I've been that close to the RM as well once but didn't dare touch it because it was right before a show and Chris wasn't there, only Richard. But he held it right under my nose for a close up inspection. One of these days I'll catch him at a good time and I'll ask to play it. He's usually pretty generous in that way, not like Steve who won't let anyone else play his 175 (unless your name is Chuck Berry!).

BTW, Steve's 1964 Gibson was retired a few years back, he now uses another one and his 3 pickup 175 on tours. He was getting paranoid about something happening to the original.
psychomatthias

Post by psychomatthias »

On my Dane Wilder/Bruce Johnson Rick 8 string, I've been doing (low to high) cC gG aD eA; a combination of Chris Squire and Robert Fripp. I'm coming ever closer to my dream of completely eliminating the need for a guitarist in a heavy band; just gotta convince the more-conservative minded of my band that this is the way. Rules are for fools.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

psychomatthias wrote: Just gotta convince the more-conservative minded of my band that this is the way.
If one of the more "conservative minded" in your band is a guitarist, that may be a hard sell.
psychomatthias

Post by psychomatthias »

We don't have a guitarist... anymore. It's the drummer that I have to convince, who, btw, plays guitar in two other bands, so...

... draw your own conclusions... Ha ha!

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”