Onward - A Rickenbacker Kiss

The genius of Chris Squire
miguelbass

Onward - A Rickenbacker Kiss

Post by miguelbass »

An idea that was inspired by the story (many of you may know) behind the very end of Safe (Canon Song).

I am playing my 4001 CS bass which is unplugged. Holding it against the back of my (plugged) 360 guitar... a Rickenbacker Kiss.
I experimented with different guitar tunings that would resonate well with the song's tonalities. Onward is a based one the I, VI, V and vi of C major, and modulated a step higher afterwards.
The guitar tuning I did (eventually using a capo) was selected to accommodate all these chords. Ones sound better than others. B minor was, for example, a bit less successful, as well as all passages with an F sharp.
Then I adapted the whole piece - melody and a sort of accompaniment with the lower register which is not related to the actual bass line. The initial riff is my transformation of the original intro, and the coda.. I came up with a way to modulate back to C major. A bit dangerous too cause B flat (G minor) and A flat (F minor) were used... but then finally I got the best resonance spot to end the piece on an improvised Safe-like finale.

One very interesting thing is that - after tuning both instruments with the tuner, I found the resonance wasn't happening... so I fine tuned on my bass by ear, and found the resonance spots for each string... maybe a few cents lower than the "right" tuning. I know it's still not perfect but it's a fact that it wasn't working with both guitars tuned by the tuner. I think this has to do with the tempered scale of the fretboard that is "fighting" with the natural harmonics of the guitar's open strings.

While not optimal, I decided to post it to show you the idea. It has some interesting sounds and with more time I will come again to it!

Tunings (bottom to top)
Bass - E A D G
Guitar (Capo 8th fret) - C F A D G B

Greetings to all!

Miguel

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rpdLtRsqVnE&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rpdLtRsqVnE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

URLs:

http://miguelbass.com/2010/03/14/onward ... cker-kiss/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpdLtRsqVnE
Last edited by miguelbass on Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Re: Onward - A Rickenbacker Kiss

Post by ajish4 »

TOTALLY AMAZING!

What more can be said?

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Beautiful, just beautiful.
miguelbass

Post by miguelbass »

Thank you Tony! :)
ram

Post by ram »

Miguel, could you post a link? I only see an icon with a could geometric symbols in it.....
miguelbass

Post by miguelbass »

Happyface

Post by Happyface »

What a haunting but wonderful tone. You always amaze me!
Currently: Tuxedo, 1972 4000

Past holdings: 1968 4005, Blackstar, 3000, CS, Alembric, Tuxedo, 360-12, Blackstar, 360-12, 1982 4003, Shadow, 4003 SnowGlow, CS in that order.
ram

Post by ram »

Miguel cool effect. Reminds me of the FOOW the very end of Safe....
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Happyface wrote:What a haunting but wonderful tone. You always amaze me!
+1 I saw this Saturday but didn't have decent speakers till today. What a concept, and indeed haunting.
chrisdski
Intermediate Member

Post by chrisdski »

Wow. That's beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
collin

Post by collin »

Wow, that's brilliant.

Well done, Miguel!
gibsonlp
Technical Admin

Post by gibsonlp »

Wow, this is awesome!
So long and thanks for all the fish!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

gibsonlp wrote:Wow, this is awesome!
+100000000000000000000000000000000000 8)
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

Two Thumbs up, Miguel. I hope Chris has a chance to view this soon.
miguelbass

Post by miguelbass »

Thanks everyone for your warm response so far. I'm starting to work on finishing CttE now. Much harder to hear the bass on the last half compared with the first one :) Also it seems that every available footage has the step-down modulation that it's not on the original recording... am I right?

Greetings to all!

M
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

Yes, I know I am commenting on an old Thread but I was knocked out by your mesmerizing timbre and playing in this clip, Miguel! I was stepping through the old Threads here and realized I somehow missed this one. And I wasn't sure I knew what the "story" was about the end of "Safe" so I looked up the Wikipedia article on the album and read about Chris playing that moody 'coda' on a doubleneck with the only active pickups being from the six-string. Fascinating! And of course it makes sense now that I think about it.

Fish Out of Water is absolutely my favorite album. Ever.

Perhaps some folks who have not heard Miguel's wonderful work here will hear it now that I have "bumped" the Thread.

Miguel, you are amazing! Thank you for your work!

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”