Benoit David out.

The genius of Chris Squire
BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS
Professional Player

Re: Benoit David out.

Post by BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS »

just_bassics wrote:Spinal Tap is great! Rob Reiner makes a film about R&R clichés and winds up creating almost every cliché used in the biz!

I did a show with ST at MTV Spring Break at Daytona Beach, 1992 - They were a blast! Christopher Guest never broke from character, even behind the scenes. We were all in awe.
i've been thru everything but the exploding drummers !!! :lol: saw satrianni play guitar with spinal tap in los angeles early '90's !
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

I once (1991-3) dated a psychiatrist. (Boy, did I straighten her out, but that's for another forum... :lol: ) She was a feminist, too, which was great--I'm all for equality across the board.

So we were cruising PCH one night in my li'l convertible Sunbeam, and I slipped ST into the CD player and without explanation or introduction, cranked up "B i tch School".

The look on her face was priceless. Then I explained.

Spinal Tap confused many literal-minded folk, including, surprisingly, Gloria Steinem. :wink:

(Not to mention the auto-censor on the RRF!)
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

Thanks for the link! I want to see/hear more!
But just to hear Mr. Squire's backing vocals and especially, his lead vocals on the track were worth it.
DevilsHandsAreAnIdolWorkshop

Post by DevilsHandsAreAnIdolWorkshop »

Saw them in LA on Aug 15. Profoundly mixed feelings.

I LOVED the show. I haven't seen them them since the Drama tour, and it brought back memories/feelings and the sense of power the band has. Jon Davison was amazing and spot on. He owned Awaken. So amazing, I have to say his performance was not only a beautiful recreation of Anderson's vocals, but also the best in the band that night.

There. I said it. Jon Davison is more Yes than Yes is now. That's bound to stick in the craw of a few and would undoubtedly rub me the wrong way had I not seen a show for myself. After a week of being on cloud nine and reveling in seeing my all time favorite band again, sobering critical thoughts have emerged from the euphoria and this is the primary conclusion. Only Davison was really true to the songs, though Squire was great. (To be fair, I couldn't even hear Alan White in the mix - just the kick drum now and again - so I can't rightly judge how well he did).

I did NOT expect the same level of energy or proficiency from the old guys, and I was not disappointed. They opened with YIND which I think may have been ambitious to start out with. I'd characterize Howe's performance as arthritic, and it took at least until HOTS to get a semblance of groove on. That's not to say they aren't still excellent musicians, they definitely are, and I thought the show was fabulous and going there was one of the smartest things I've done. I LOVE this band, I know they're getting up there, I'm thrilled that they're still touring, and even more thrilled that they've chosen to emphasize the early years in the play set instead of mucking it up with the 30 odd years of uninspired tripe which kept me from seeing them for so long.* :shock:

Given all of the above, I was making plenty of allowances and was actually pleasantly surprised. The old guys can still get it up. Just not quite as well as they used to, as is expected. The one shining exception was Davison. I read through several threads, including this one, fully respecting the positions taken for or against Yes without Anderson. I must, however, echo certain sentiments. Yes has a right to tour and make money (if people show up - and I would do it again in a heartbeat). Jon Anderson no longer has the stamina for heavy duty touring, that was apparent when I saw his solo show a couple of months ago. His voice sounded very good, no if or buts about it. If you want it to keep sounding good, like I do, then intimate shows with a lower energy are MANDATORY. At least for now.

I, too, hold out hope that Yes will do some show(s) in the future with Anderson. An album would be cool, too. If there's any chance for this to happen, he simply can't be part of the band on the schedule they want to work to. I'd rather see Yes tour than not, and I'd rather see Anderson solo for all time going forward than wreck his voice in an attempt to run with the pack.

For those who consider themselves purists in the sense that it isn't Yes without Jon Anderson, I'll give you that. It's just time and a word, as far as difference. You call them whatever you want: Squire-Howe-White-Downes-Davison, No, Musical Whores, whatever. But if the true early Yes fan wants to have a little taste of the live feel of the old band, to hear Yes music from back in the day sound almost like it did back in the day, this is a decent compromise. It won't be Davison holding the authenticity aspect back, I assure you. It'll be the old guys you love so much that you're willing to make allowances, lots of them.

*Sorry, even Drama sucked. Machine Messiah, OK, the rest ****. I don't claim to speak for all "true original" Yes fans, just myself.

Some post disclaimers: The "tripe" as I called it wasn't so bad by normal standards. I recognize that they garnered a lot of fans with the more pop-like sound they adopted with Rabin (yes, my blood curdles a little typing that name...). And they not only deserved to go wherever they wanted musically, they deserved to rake in some dough and did. I'd like to believe they actually did some fine music in last two decades, but I haven't been motivated to seek it out. If the excerpt from FFH is exemplar, I'm still not too pressed to check into it.

I cut my teeth on CTTE and Relayer, for goodness' sakes!

When the corner turned (do I need to explain this notion and when it occurred?), the original die-hard Yes fans became dinosaurs. Not the band. I'm sure they were sooo scared at being labeled dinosaurs that they accomplished exactly what they set out to do - evolve and avoid going the way of the dinosaur. I'll never begrudge them (or Genesis or Gentle Giant or ELP) choosing their own fate! I want to choose mine, too. But they did leave a void in the musical scene which hurt, and I was reminded a bit of this hurt last week at the show.

It may be a bit much to ask to top the masterpieces of the past; musicians and bands in particular frequently peak, and thank god they do even if it makes lows seem artificially low. There are a lot of incredible musicians on the scene these days, I'm just not seeming to find the same hook into my psyche that the early prog rock had. Example - saw Dream Theater recently, despite having never latched onto anything but Dance of Eternity and the Odyssey cover (neither of which they played). Phenomenal musicianship. Absurdly good. Borrrrrring. Sorry all DT enthusiasts. The Crimson ProjeKct on the other hand, played old King Crimson stuff, and it was excellent.

I'm being pragmatic first and foremost in my acceptance of Jon Davison. Beyond that, though, it's something new that very effectively hooks me into something old. Purists may want to consider the authenticity of the performance as opposed to personal authenticity, and not **** in your own lunchbox, as my grandma used to say.

One more disclaimer: I think I saw somewhere that Chris Squire is a member here. Can't imagine there's much time available for him to fool around here, but in the 1-1000000 chance he sees my comments above, please do not take them as a negative assessment. It's a practical assessment based on my own tastes and long history of being a fan, calling it as my ears hear it. Overwhelmingly positive, truth be told. It may not have come off as such, but I'm really hinting that anyone who may be reticent to see Yes for one reason or another should just go.
pag
Intermediate Member

Post by pag »

As a matter of interest over here in Britain Yes are remembered by lots of
regular concert goers from the 70s and 80s but not many of them realise Yes still exist let alone who sings lead vocals.
I am not stretching the truth here because after doing a few years of covering Yes songs in the side project I do with the seyes guys
the conversation with people on the gig circuit or at work and so forth often leads onto "what ever happened to Yes? are they still going?".
Then you tell them Rick and Jon left and they ask who is lead singer and you explain about all the changes and they shrug and say "oh right..so no Jon
Anderson...oh well" and the disinterest is palpable.
Thats how far off the radar Yes are in Britain.
Apart from a sporadic appearance here and there we havent seen Yes touring to any regular degree since the days when Rick and Jon were with them
around the time of the Tsongas tour.
I heard the new album but due to shifts I couldnt get to see the tour with Benoit and the band didnt return for a second run so it seems
thats that for now I suppose.
From the bits I have seen on the internet Davidson is a good J.Anderson sounding singer and at least when singing Your Move/All good people he pronounces "satisfied" correctly with a "t" instead of the"d"which crept in over the years.
I wish Yes had approached the BBC and either done a radio session or appeared on Later with Jools Holland.
At least we might have had a bit more than phone footage on youtube to judge the new lineup by.

Cant blame the guys for making a living just going around the US I suppose.
I will still be playing bass in a function band for my pension so I know how it feels.
Keep taking the cod liver oil for the finger joints like I do Chris.

From the bits I have seen on the internet Davidson is a good J.Anderson sounding singer and at least when singing Your Move/All good people he pronounces "satisfied" correctly with a "t" instead of the"d"which crept in over the years.
Interesting point. Sometimes it's the little touches that count.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

I drove 400 miles roundtrip to see them the last time,in 2008,with Benoit and Adam. (fantastic show,too) Since i moved into a pretty isolated area a few years back,i'm now lucky if i could expect a show within an 800 mile rt area,and the last few were midweek,too. So i will be checking out the concert DVD's when they are inevitably released..... :cry:
I have been able to attend most of their tours since 1972,so i guess i can't complain. :) if i am gonna get wistful about anything,it would be that i never saw the bruford/banks/kaye version of the band when they popped over to the States.
pag
Intermediate Member

Post by pag »

I saw the Yes Album tour lineup..Anderson Bruford Howe Kaye Squire but never saw Peter Banks with Yes.
I dont think the band toured the States with Peter Banks.
I would have liked to have seen Peter with the Union lineup for some early stuff.

One difficulty I see with the Yes tours at present is that theres no focus that draws you in like the Rush gigs
recently where a particular album from the past is featured in full.
A presentation of Relayer for instance would have me walking over hot coals just to see it played live again in full.
Do you agree?

pag wrote:Do you agree?
Strongly.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

Hmm,i knew they had been to America once before the '72 tour,just figured PB was still part of the band at that point. Still,based on the live BBC recordings,i would have liked to have seen that lineup.
So...the tour over,Asia about to go back out,wonder if there will be any Squackett shows?
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

What really surprises me is that Peter Banks was NOT included in the SYN reunion. I read a statement on his website that really blasted two of the guys, but not Chris on this issue. It's evident that he would like to have been involved, but he was shut out for some reason. Unlike the other two members of the SYN, Peter was still an active musician at that time, and still is.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

aceonbass wrote:What really surprises me is that Peter Banks was NOT included in the SYN reunion. I read a statement on his website that really blasted two of the guys, but not Chris on this issue. It's evident that he would like to have been involved, but he was shut out for some reason. Unlike the other two members of the SYN, Peter was still an active musician at that time, and still is.
Peter "Dangerfield" Banks........ no respect. I still listen to early Yes and enjoy his contributions. Flash too.
pag
Intermediate Member

Post by pag »

Theres some extra interview footage on the "Classic artists" Yes DVD on disc 2.
Pete Banks explains to some extent the awkwardness he encountered when he met with
Yes on the Union tour.
I think maybe things were a bit fraught in the eight piece and he caught them on a bad day or something.

I always think that life is too short for all the squabbling and stuff so give the public some of what made them buy
all those albums and concert tickets and get on with the show.
Bring in Peter Banks and Tony Kaye and lets have a blast of early Yes for a change.

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”