EVER LISTEN TO "ESQUIRE" ???

The genius of Chris Squire
BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS
Professional Player

EVER LISTEN TO "ESQUIRE" ???

Post by BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS »

in my humble opinion, this is a greatly over looked first outing from 1987 by nikki squire. i picked it up back then and the song structures, harmonies and bass playing scales are fantastic. when i saw that chris squire was on the lp, i assumed he did the bass playing and sounding very much like the tone the mpc electra had, not to mention the bass effects used. not so ! it was nigel mclaren.( did he borrow squire's effects rack ???) pat thrall is doing some guitars as well as alan white on drums. this is caught somewhere between drama and 90125 for similarity. if you want to hear the best sound, get the lp. next would be the cd (which i purchased from nikki) although the sound has changed as did the original song order with alternate mixes.
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Re: EVER LISTEN TO "ESQUIRE" ???

Post by just_bassics »

I have a copy of that somewhere and did give it a listen a few years back. I remember thinking that it had decent production values and solid playing, with a very 80's feel. I think Chris had a hand in there somewhere either with writing and / or production, but I can't remember the details. I'll have to dig it out and listen again.
miguelbass

Post by miguelbass »

I have the CD and Chris was in charge of production or mixing and is credited on one or two tracks - bass and backing vocals but I think there is more of his input than it's written there. I like that album a lot. It sounds a "bit" like Big Generator production wise but Nikki's writing and vocals are beautifully distinctive themselves.

I like all the songs but have a weak spot for "Blossomtime"

here are some YT findings!

Miguel
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

It sure sounds like Chris had quite a bit in moulding the sound of this band,

What bass is in the videos? It looks a lot like an Basking Shark.
BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS
Professional Player

many thanx for posting the vids, miguel ! :D someday...maybe mr. squire would chime in on his contributions for this effort...insquiring minds would like to know !!! :D i always thought the english had some pretty unique bass sounds compared to americans in the '80's...level 42,tears for fears, mr. mclaren on this record,etc.
BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS
Professional Player

btw...great hair on nikki !!! 8)
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

Oh yeah!
Had the lp,and bought the cd later-i really like the whole of it,and I used to wonder if that wasn't really Chris on the bass parts,but Nikki confirms otherwise. It has Great band arrangements which really feature the bass guitar.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

To my ears and Squire-experience, I am of the thought Chris had a major input on the writing of this music, if not that they were his tunes he let Nikki have. I can't get past that when listening. Of course, MHO.
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

I must agree, John. I think Chris was very helpful on this record. Reminds me of a line from Steve Martin's L.A. Story, "The difference between Americans and English, we English maintain civil relations with our ex's, Americans try to kill theirs..." Words to that effect. :lol:
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

just_bassics wrote:I must agree, John. I think Chris was very helpful on this record. Reminds me of a line from Steve Martin's L.A. Story, "The difference between Americans and English, we English maintain civil relations with our ex's, Americans try to kill theirs..." Words to that effect. :lol:
:lol: :lol:

I keep imagining Billy and Chris could have record those songs and they would have fit right in with their body of work. Definitely not trying to dis Nikki, but I can't see her writing, especially harmonies, on a par with Chris.
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

Wow, yup...I have the LP here too!

I listened to it once, and had similar thoughts about the bass parts.

It will probably never see a turntable again, but it's part of the collection.
BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS
Professional Player

i play it regularly ! very powerful ! :D 8)
iamthebassman
Veteran RRF member

Post by iamthebassman »

Bought the LP when it came out, also have an Esquire press pack.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" Austin Music Poll 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010
BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS
Professional Player

i hate you !!! :lol: :lol: :lol: a soundman at a toronto niteclub had an esquire long sleeve tour shirt from when they played there. he was gonna give it to me, but we lost touch. :(
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

Was this just a thinly veiled attempt to boost sales of this CD?

Because it worked!
(I'll give you my review once it arrives...)

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”