Cool!

The genius of Chris Squire
harrek

Re: Cool!

Post by harrek »

just_bassics wrote:While I never got to play Chris's RM, I did stand about six inches from it once and gave it as much of a going over as I could before Richard (Squire's tech) whisked it away. I did notice that the action seemed high, but when you shake hands with the man, you realize that he just may prefer it that way. Those hands are just huge!
Have to agree with that. The action did look very high. And I've had someone else who has held it say the same and felt it was unplayable almost to them. But in the hands of Chris all bets are off. He certainly has no problems with it!
pag
Intermediate Member

Post by pag »

The fretboard bottom on RMs joins the body front just about level.
About 1/3 of the neck thickness on all the RMs I have played is actually the fretboard and the height of the fretboard gives the
strings that lift at the headstock which is a lot straighter than modern Ricks.
Chris's bass has had a lot of work done on it over the years and has lost a few mil of board so maybe thats the reason for the high action.
I think some high res close ups of this very important Rickenbacker are in order.
Jim?
BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS
Professional Player

Post by BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS »

my '68 has a 1/3 thinner fret board from the factory and as thin as that neck is, the action is low and flat, so i don't agree. neck to body weakness or prefered high action i would assume.
teeder

Post by teeder »

My best guess would also be the neck to body joint weakness with a nod to the removed wood through the years.
The fretboard on my '69 4001 is also even with the body plane.

One interesting thing I noticed when I got my V63 back recently was that the fretboard was thicker and nearly down to the body plane more-so than any modern Rick I've seen. It really reminds me of Ron's RM.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

teeder wrote:One interesting thing I noticed when I got my V63 back recently was that the fretboard was thicker and nearly down to the body plane more-so than any modern Rick I've seen. It really reminds me of Ron's RM.
NOW you tell me! :lol: :lol:

While photographing the 4003S I have for sale, I noticed what might be another reason. With the switch to higains and their button top pole pieces, more clearance is needed, so the higher fretboard would accomplish this also.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

johnallg wrote:With the switch to higains and their button top pole pieces, more clearance is needed, so the higher fretboard would accomplish this also.
Another reason to love toasters. 8)
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

jps wrote:
johnallg wrote:With the switch to higains and their button top pole pieces, more clearance is needed, so the higher fretboard would accomplish this also.
Another reason to love toasters. 8)
But with the current fretboard higher off the body, the toaster is further from the strings that the poles of the higain....
Seans
Intermediate Member

Post by Seans »

I tried a Toaster on my 80 4001, but I couldn't get the output, so after milling relief under the scratch plate to allow the 4 screws to sit in I managed another 2mm in height, but it still wasn't enough. Now I think about it, the answer may have been to mount it on top with the sponge base, hmm that might look pretty cool too.

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”