Cool!

The genius of Chris Squire
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Cool!

Post by johnallg »

http://www.myspace.com/roundaboutyestri ... %3A4427046}

http://www.myspace.com/roundaboutyestri ... 3A17769853}

Well, dag, I can't get the url to work right. Arrow right on the RM1999 closeup and see the Electra.
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Cool!

Post by jps »

The actions looks pretty high on the RM.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

jps wrote:The actions looks pretty high on the RM.
If you look at pics of him playing it from at least the last 10-15 years the action is very high.

I noticed how the fretboard lays on the body top, not above it like current basses.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

johnallg wrote:I noticed how the fretboard lays on the body top, not above it like current basses.
IIRC, Ron's '64 is that way, too. He and I talked about that at GilFest® II.
BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS
Professional Player

Post by BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS »

my '68 and '70 fretboards are flat on the body as well. better string capture for the neck pickup.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

I'll bet. I'm guessing the fretboard is higher now because there is more neck wood at the body joint adding strength? Or was it to be able to give the headstock more back angle? Or both?
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

johnallg wrote:I'll bet. I'm guessing the fretboard is higher now because there is more neck wood at the body joint adding strength? Or was it to be able to give the headstock more back angle? Or both?
Yes and Yes I think........

emac.
I confused Faraday's cage, with Schrodinger's cat box....
Seans
Intermediate Member

Post by Seans »

My 72 (walnut wings) has the fret board on the body too, think 73 was the final change over.

For the action so high, the toaster sure looks low.
A CS reissue for comparison
Attachments
IMG01795-20120308-1149.jpg
Last edited by Seans on Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

jps wrote:The actions looks pretty high on the RM.
Ah! He probably just tunes it flat and just pulls the neck back with his sizable fists to get the action right when he plays it.. :lol:

emac.
I confused Faraday's cage, with Schrodinger's cat box....
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I think you've just uncovered the secret to his sound! :shock: :lol:
BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS
Professional Player

Seans wrote:My 72 (walnut wings) has the fret board on the body too, think 73 was the final change over.

you'll note that cs has the raised off fretboard.
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

When I played Ron's '64 at Gilfest and Kevin's '68 (or 69) 4001S at RIO, the first thing I noted was that both basses had a slightly more comfortable feel, due mostly, IMO, to the curved fretboard radius and the fretboard being a little closer to the body. Both of these factors, while slight, gave me the feeling that I was playing a different instrument than any of the Rick basses I've owned or played before. They just felt smoother. My V63 and 4001S are close, but the 60's basses just had that something extra in the overall feel. Very smooth. I'd purchase a new model with those specs in a split second, if available...

While I never got to play Chris's RM, I did stand about six inches from it once and gave it as much of a going over as I could before Richard (Squire's tech) whisked it away. I did notice that the action seemed high, but when you shake hands with the man, you realize that he just may prefer it that way. Those hands are just huge!
Seans
Intermediate Member

Post by Seans »

BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS wrote:
Seans wrote:My 72 (walnut wings) has the fret board on the body too, think 73 was the final change over.

Also notice the radius on the body side, on the Reissue it's a full 180 degree profile, where the original has a nice 1/4 inch or so rad on both sides.
BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS
Professional Player

just_bassics wrote:When I played Ron's '64 at Gilfest and Kevin's '68 (or 69) 4001S at RIO, the first thing I noted was that both basses had a slightly more comfortable feel, due mostly, IMO, to the curved fretboard radius and the fretboard being a little closer to the body. Both of these factors, while slight, gave me the feeling that I was playing a different instrument than any of the Rick basses I've owned or played before. They just felt smoother. My V63 and 4001S are close, but the 60's basses just had that something extra in the overall feel. Very smooth. I'd purchase a new model with those specs in a split second, if available...

While I never got to play Chris's RM, I did stand about six inches from it once and gave it as much of a going over as I could before Richard (Squire's tech) whisked it away. I did notice that the action seemed high, but when you shake hands with the man, you realize that he just may prefer it that way. Those hands are just huge!

squire's bass could be suffering from the dreaded neck/ body joint pulling forward at the neck pickup area like steve woods early rick he got in florida. the way squire has hammered on it over the years could have compounded the problem. only way to say for sure is to look down the neck to body plane.
Seans
Intermediate Member

Post by Seans »

BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS wrote:

It would appear that way, but on closer inspection, it's just a paint line, here are some dim's from my findings, measured from body to fretboard face.

72 4001 (Walnut Wings) = 7mm
74 4001 (Red dot) = 10mm
80 4001 = 11mm
CS signature = 7mm
So the CS is more in keeping with the 60's-72 4001 and not like the late 72 onwards body.

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”